First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Custom Scion Hitch, Finished

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Custom Scion Hitch, Finished

so yeah i had to tow a jet ski trailer back from fresno to san jose, every shop i called was out of stock on hitches for the xb, so i went ahead and built my own. i dont have much time to post this so ill just update it later. for now ill just post a pic to wet your appitites

only real stats on it are that i used a class III reciever

*** edit***

ok heres some more pics

This is the ski and trailer im haulin'

this is the exhaust i got from gabe

This is a test fit in the begining of the mockup

it was hard to get a pic, but i went outside and took a pic so show the bar going over the exhaust

*** UPDATE***

I just went back, (i know hella months later) and i needed to bring my jetski back to the bay to get some work done at double R cycles. so i went down this past weekend and finished up the work on the hitch.

i added a 5th mount to eliminate the sag i was getting which worked perfectly, and added a mount for the trailor chains.

some more pics...

Old 08-17-2006, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoa Class III...nice!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm,,, keep us advised.... been thinking of this if can do cheeper than a "Ready-Built"
I just don't like where everyone mounts hitch to the xb.. seems to me that it needs a longer span farther up the floor pan(length of the car)....
your thoughts??
Old 08-17-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the "ready-made" ones also (supposedly) had trouble with the aftermarket exhausts. does yours attach at the same points as the curt, etc?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just hope the jet ski doesnt end up towing you
Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i allready towed the jetski back, the reason its only 98% is because theres a few things i didnt get to, like i wanted to weld more gussets especialy around the mounting point, and other things like the little plate you hook the trailers chains to etc..

the stock hitch will have problems with the aftermarket muffler, because it drops down first then goes across. thats why i had to drop down the middle and then reenforce it.

the class III reciever was just because thats what i allready had sitting around, from my dads chevy 3500 with a 454, i figured if i needed to borrow a gooseneck i could snag one from him, i wouldnt trust it at all to carry the weight of a class III, lol

with the weight of a single jet-ski trailer, a 1991 yamaha superjet, and me on the tongue it only dropped about an inch and a half, as soon as i got off, it went right back up, i need to reenforce it from bieng able to sag still, im either thinking of bolting it to a little piece of the car that drops down in the middle of the car, or welding from the sides towards the middle.

ill see what i can do, i dont go back to my parents till next weekend where all my tools are.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 09-01-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do u have problems of the hitch scraping on the ground? a friend of mine just got a hitch and has had scraping issues and isn't even lowered.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you gotta put matching wheels on the trailer. that would be pimp. LOL
Old 09-03-2006, 02:45 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare
the trailer is a 5 lug'er
Old 09-05-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dekthai
do u have problems of the hitch scraping on the ground? a friend of mine just got a hitch and has had scraping issues and isn't even lowered.
Yeah it has about 3 inches of clearance, and with it loaded down its about 2 inches. so i really have to watch those steep driveways.

Originally Posted by hornet_on_the_flower
Originally Posted by firesquare
the trailer is a 5 lug'er
would be cool though, lol
Old 09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good i bought my hitch from ebay for cheap its a curt... yours tow pretty good
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lucky i have means to be able to build my own. i was thinking of making it to where it can be easily be put in and taken out. was thinking of putting it right behind the bumper and cutting a rectagular peace out for the hitch to slid into. and when your not hauling anything being able to put the cover (the peace that i cut out) back in so you dont ever even know there is a hitch there.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you dont have an aftermarket muffler like i did it would be pretty easy, the 4 mounting points below the rear can make it a quick 4 bolt removal. the only reason i didnt go for a stealth look was because i didnt want to touch the car, i really dont like cutting or drilling in my cars
Old 09-08-2006, 08:02 AM
lem
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Great Idea!!!

It's good to have a hitch to carry bikes too!!!! Was it cheaper to have it done than buy an after market one? or there is no aftermarket for the XB?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya i understand that completly, i dont know what i want to do yet. all i know is i got to get a hitch on there so i can stop borrowing my dads truck to haul around my quad.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you got a raptor, i just got my new 06 YFZ450 and my dads got the 06 raptor, i love kickin his butt!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Great Idea!!!

Originally Posted by lem
It's good to have a hitch to carry bikes too!!!! Was it cheaper to have it done than buy an after market one? or there is no aftermarket for the XB?
it was both cheaper (only costed me the 4 grade 8 bolts) and better that what was available. i wasnt happy with the one option that was available, its design wasnt really what i wanted, and it didnt allow the use of aftermarket exhaust, which i had.

my design not only let me hitch route over my aftermarket exhaust, plus it let me design it so it was flush with the rear skirt of my car.

the only problem i have so far is when i do stuff like forget im going like 70 when i hit big dips and it sparks out the back a bit, but it barly scraped enough to spark a little bit, no big deal.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

It's a nice design. Wasn't aware that the ones available didn't allow for aftermarket exhaust?
I just made one for my wifes 96 sentra that went behind the bumper skin and I cut a hole out fot the reciever to pass through. Only problem is you have to lay underneath to put the pin and clip on it. It basically took the place of the old plastic bumper piece. She can now tow our 14 ft aluminum V boat with ease.
Did you add a trans cooler? Just wondering cause I did to the Sentra just to be safe.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default hirch

You will with the Curt hitch. My stock RS 2.0 has the Curt hitch with only the area for the DC muffler modified. It scrapes all the time. My RS 3.0 has the receiver set back, and raised up, for more clearance. No problems.

just hope the jet ski doesn't end up towing you
I love coments like these.

Here is another discussion with how I made mine for a lowered box and can style muffler from a year ago: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...284&highlight=
Here is the thread with the Draw-Tite discussion has some great pics:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=drawtite

Wasn't aware that the ones available didn't allow for after market exhaust?
Draw-tite's new version is very similar to mine . It allows for the after market exhaust But for $100.00, I can't make one for less, so I will be getting one for my RS 4.0.

I'm in the works on setting up a group buy on the Scikotics site, if anyone is interested. http://www.scikotics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10041

Nice Job on the hitch Chris. Very nice work.

Quick Reply: Custom Scion Hitch, Finished