Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Customizing your RS 1.0... To do or not do do???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Customizing your RS 1.0... To do or not do do???

After having my xA for a couple of weeks now and reading about all of the mods folks are doing, I'm wondering if I shoulda just gone with a stock xA instead.... I mean, wouldn't performing huge mods to my inherently scarce car make it less valuable??

I plan on lowering it and tinting the windows and such 'cause that's a must, but beyond that... would a body kit devalue the RS 1.0? I think I still want it to look like a true RS 1.0 and stand out on that regard alone.

The old school guy in me says just leave it stock... it'll be rare someday... like I wish my old '52 Ford F1 woulda had the flathead V-8 in it... you know? But then the rebel youngster tells me to trick this car out to the max... (I read an article last night on do-it-yourself suicide doors!)

Maybe compromise in the middle is in order here... what do you guys think?

I guess since I paid cash for this one, perhaps I could get another one to play with and leave this one alone.....
Old 12-06-2004, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't think the RS1 packages are going to reach a huge collectible status like say a Mustang California Special or something, but who knows. It is mostly a trim group and color option. It's not like it has super special equipment over the standard model like some limited editions in the past. And it's a subgroup of other vehicles that are mostly the same. The grill is the main difference body wise. At first I kinda saw your point about the body kit, but part of me says an xA RS1 with a nice body kit may put it into the even rarer category...

Do "What moves you"...
Old 12-06-2004, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I am planning on putting a kenstyle kit (or a knock-off) in spring on my RS1. Winter started here so ill wait until spring... the RS1 looks kickass right now but with a nice kit itll look even better. I have a set of Tein springs that I will put on in spring, and im tinting the windows next week. The only other think I may do in spring is add an exhaust, but thats not a priority. A body kit will look nice with the RS1.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the fact that it is RS 1.0 means Toyota intends to have a series of these released every year I bet. Latter in 05 you might get a green or purple xA with some sort of mesh bumper, 10 spoke wheels and whatever. Its a marketing at its finest. It is a good price though. Now if the car was limited to say 100 and it cost and extra 6gs and this is the cars 6th year of production, then maybe it would be worth something. However, seeing even the dealers are taking on mufflers, radios et al. they won't be woth anything extra.

Now 30 years from now, when your all old and what to re-live your youth, I'm sure a perfectly stock Scion will be worth a bundle, just like any stock prestine 60's car is worth money. Think of the Civic Si, those will be worth something.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like the stock body moldings. only thing i'm going to add is a pair of fog lights.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm probably leaving mine mostly stock... Just subtle things like the factory foglights, maybe an armerst and tinted windows... Who knows, the factory lowering springs might make their way on the car after I make some progress on my "project" car...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Dude, you must have mad cash judging by your collection.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not mad cash... Just what I've had since I started back when I was 16 years old!

Also, I kind of cheated because some of the cars are or were jointly owned by by my fiance...

Curently I drive the xA as my daily car, and she has the 86 Monte SS. I drive about 3 times as many more miles as she does due to my job. The 84 Trans Am is our project we picked up. The motorcycle is in storage for now.

But yeah, the cars weren't cheap!

It helps that we pretty much lum all our funds together to pay for everything and we don' t have any kids... They are not gonna be in the picture till later...
Old 12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

dude. pimp it. it wont kill it's value just do tasteful mods and it'll be worth more. ok? ok!! keep it real
Old 12-07-2004, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
dude. pimp it. it wont kill it's value just do tasteful mods and it'll be worth more. ok? ok!! keep it real

I agree. "Tasteful mods" shouldn't bring the value down. They may increase it if you are gonna sell it to a private party. Especially if they "improve" on the current set up i.e. armrest...

Old 12-07-2004, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JMD83
Originally Posted by hotbox05

I agree. "Tasteful mods" shouldn't bring the value down. They may increase it if you are gonna sell it to a private party. Especially if they "improve" on the current set up i.e. armrest...

I would only pay less for a modded car.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Boomerang Armrest

I disagree. Some mods maybe but an armrest, especially one like ours that fastens in and doesn't alter or damage any of the original interior would only add value. I encourage you to check out the Boomerang armrest at www.scionarmrest.com . Also, you can see all the positive things people have to say about it all over Scion Life. :D :D

Feel free to conatct me for further info.

Thanks,
Chris Fischer
Boomerang
Boulder, CO
303-447-0902 x304
www.scionarmrest.com
info@boomco.net
Old 12-07-2004, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Most definitely the armrest is happening and I'm 95% leaning towards the Boomerang... nothing to date is even close IMHO.

I still would like to retain the rear cup holder however... my son used the other night. I've read that one will be availabe after the first of the year from Scion that will keep the cup holder in play.

It must look as clean as the Boomerang one does now or it won't be an option either.... now if the Boomerang just had a little flip down hoder hanging of the back (think second row seat in a Honda Odyssey or Ford Freestar).... we wouldn't be having this discussion and I'd already own one!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member

I got the RS 1.0 a few months ago. I bought it as a comuter for my fiance and I. She is not a huge fan of my other car (Evo). The RS is an auto, but I think it is a great handling car. I have thought about changing some things. I think out of the box it is a great start. I will probably add the TRD axle back, DC sport strut tower brace, and K&N drop in. Just some small things that can be undone quickly. But, I would not change the wheels or other things to change the look. That way it will still look like a normal RS 1.0.
I get more compliments on the Scion than the Evo.