First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Did I get a Lemon??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Did I get a Lemon??

OK....I am at 736 miles so far and have already taken my xb in last week for an alignment. I got the alignment (and 1 scuff and 1 scratch!!) and now its pulling to the left again. They set the "toe in" and it did fine for a week or so, but now, its pulling again.

All my tires are at 32psi and I have no bulges on any of the tire surfaces. Stock tires and rims. What do you recommend I do? Is it as bad as I am making it out to be?

Seems VERY odd to me to need two alignments with the tiny bit of milage I have on there.

When I take it in again (I am dreading it because it took them 24 hours to return it), can I ask them to replace "X" instead of just adjusting the alignment?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you on the stock tires, if so 32PSI is to high, try 27 to 28 PSI.

Erik
Old 11-30-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like it has NASCAR Fever......LOL

Seriously, take it back to the dealer and tell them you want it fixed regardless of how much they have to replace. If that dealer does not want to do the right thing, try another and send Scion a message about the other dealer. Make lots of noise about the problem and things should start to happen.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, no you DID NOT GET A LEMON!!

Second: How is it Scion's fault when the dealership you took it to was incompetent?

Sounds to me like they did not fix the alignment correctly AND put a scratch in your car!!!

Sounds like the delership is a lemon, not the car itself!

If your transmission dropped, or engine died, then mabey- but come on alignment?!?!?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Socalrider

Erik
Yup, stock tires.

Maybe the pressure is too high, but they are all at the same psi. Do you think that would cause it to pull?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VdubbsXB
Sounds like it has NASCAR Fever......LOL

Seriously, take it back to the dealer and tell them you want it fixed regardless of how much they have to replace. If that dealer does not want to do the right thing, try another and send Scion a message about the other dealer. Make lots of noise about the problem and things should start to happen.
Cool...that is what I wanted to do, but I am solicitating some info before I make a fool of myself.

I am very disappointed in my dealers service dept.

Anyone know WHY the alignment keeps going out of spec?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Give the dealer some grief, they'll make it right.....usually.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
First off, no you DID NOT GET A LEMON!!

Second: How is it Scion's fault when the dealership you took it to was incompetent?

Sounds to me like they did not fix the alignment correctly AND put a scratch in your car!!!

Sounds like the delership is a lemon, not the car itself!

If your transmission dropped, or engine died, then mabey- but come on alignment?!?!?
I dont know how the dealer would be to blame for the alignment going out of spec within 500 miles. I ordered it from the factory and it arrived on the lot with 2 miles on it. I could see it being the dealers fault if it was used for test drives, but it never was. thats why I am blaming Scion for the problem and not the dealer.

I DO blame the dealer for not fixing it right the first time though. They are also quite careless (or maybe Im obsessive) with other peoples property. As a matter of fact, when I took possession it had a scratch on the silver trim around the center console and they ordered me a new piece. I am going to ask them to give it to me and I will self install out of fear they will *uck it up like they did before. Then I will have an "extra" and I can paint that or what not.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Originally Posted by Socalrider

Erik
Yup, stock tires.

Maybe the pressure is too high, but they are all at the same psi. Do you think that would cause it to pull?
\have them check the tires, they may be seperated...
Old 11-30-2005, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was talking about having the dealer fix it correctly, also you can get them to fix the scratches as long as you talk to the right people. I work at a dealership we dont want current/future customers to be unhappy.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joseph_Scion
I was talking about having the dealer fix it correctly, also you can get them to fix the scratches as long as you talk to the right people. I work at a dealership we dont want current/future customers to be unhappy.
Who would the right people be? The guy who sold me the car? The service manager?

I would like to give them another chance to make this right. I just find it totally unacceptable that I need two alignments done with less than 1K miles.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

find another dealer if u are unhappy
Scion is Scion is Scion, no matter where u take it warranty remains

and about the trim piece
they have to install it and return the original
or warranty won't pay the dealer for the work done or the part
Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Alignment is one of those really tricky things on a vehicle. The technician doing the alignment has to make a decision to set it for roads with a crown or flat roads PLUS, not every alignment machine will read the same (they can sometimes go out of calibration).

Alignment is also a subjective thing for the driver and is greatly affected by environmental conditions such as the afore mentioned road crown as well as wind. Now, judging by your age alone, I'm assuming that you've driven for a number of years and probably know all of this information, but I wanted to refresh it in your mind.

Check to see how bad it is pulling on a road near the dealership in BOTH directions back to back. Then, when you take the car in, go with the service manager or technician on a test drive on that same piece of road to demonstrate the problem. That way they know how you want the thing set. Hopefully that will cure your problem.

Good luck!

-Alex
Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dId you buy a colored steering wheel? maybe when they put it on, they didn't line it up. just a thought...
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by magicmanjk808
dId you buy a colored steering wheel? maybe when they put it on, they didn't line it up. just a thought...
Nope. Standard wheel here.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TXboxdriver
find another dealer if u are unhappy
Scion is Scion is Scion, no matter where u take it warranty remains

and about the trim piece
they have to install it and return the original
or warranty won't pay the dealer for the work done or the part
Too bad about the trim piece. I think they use their feet instead of hands when working on my car.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by grizzly_choppers
Alignment is one of those really tricky things on a vehicle. The technician doing the alignment has to make a decision to set it for roads with a crown or flat roads PLUS, not every alignment machine will read the same (they can sometimes go out of calibration).

Alignment is also a subjective thing for the driver and is greatly affected by environmental conditions such as the afore mentioned road crown as well as wind. Now, judging by your age alone, I'm assuming that you've driven for a number of years and probably know all of this information, but I wanted to refresh it in your mind.

Check to see how bad it is pulling on a road near the dealership in BOTH directions back to back. Then, when you take the car in, go with the service manager or technician on a test drive on that same piece of road to demonstrate the problem. That way they know how you want the thing set. Hopefully that will cure your problem.

Good luck!

-Alex
Sounds like sage advice....Slainte!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

Now here is a good question for ya..........Does it pull to the right? Most car makers have installed you r seering in a way to where it will always pull you to the right just a wee bit. The reason for this.......are you ready for this It's for the idiots that fall asleep at the wheel. I'm fully serious about this too. It pulls to the right so if you fall asleep, it wil tkae you away from on coming traffic(if your driving in US). It's actually pretty annoying, but my silverado did it and it was a 2004, and my old toyota pick up did it too.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One piece of advice from "Mugged by Mr. Badwrench" has stuck with me all these years: Get your wheels aligned by a tire place, not a car dealer, because car dealers don't get their alignment machines calibrated frequently enough. I suggest spending your own money on an alignment at a good tire place. If they fix it, then try to get the money back from the dealer, or just eat the expense and consider it a small price to pay for peace of mind. And if the wheels are already aligned, some places won't charge you for the check.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXlover11
Now here is a good question for ya..........Does it pull to the right? Most car makers have installed you r seering in a way to where it will always pull you to the right just a wee bit. The reason for this.......are you ready for this It's for the idiots that fall asleep at the wheel. I'm fully serious about this too. It pulls to the right so if you fall asleep, it wil tkae you away from on coming traffic(if your driving in US). It's actually pretty annoying, but my silverado did it and it was a 2004, and my old toyota pick up did it too.
Nope, only pulls to the left. Even when I "over-correct" and turn the wheel so the car moves towards the right, it centers itself and drifts to the left again.

Quick Reply: Did I get a Lemon??