Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Disable seatbelt blinking light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Disable seatbelt blinking light?

Before anyone can be a wise guy I'll answer my own question by saying that the easiest way to disable the blinking seatbelt light is to put on your seatbelt.

I'll sometime leave my car on(A/C!!) and sit in the car while my wife runs into the store or if I'm in my driveway or driving across the street to the basketball or tennis courts. The blinking seatbelt light gets on my nerves. Is there a fuse that will disable the blinking of that particular light? If not, is the only other way to disable it by taking off part of the front dash and getting behind there and removing the bulb or covering it up w/electrical tape? Any suggestions on how to disable the light?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yes turn the car off open the window
Old 09-12-2005, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just buckle the seatbelt when she gets out. You could take the thing apart if you wanted (it's fairly easy, just look at the thing and carefully take it apart), but it wouldn't really be worth the trouble.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You could always go to the junkyard and find the end of the seatbelt that plugs in and use it as a dummy. That would shut off the light and still allow the airbags to deploy.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

max2k: i take MY seatbelt off when i'm sitting in the car w/it running as well.

jethro: i don't want to get seatbelt clips fromt he junkyard and plug and unplug them. a simple answer like taking out a fuse or putting a piece of black tape over the inside of it is probably the answer. i'll look into it tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The fasten seatbelt light can be caused not to blink by instructing the car's 'puter not to blink it. The instructions have been on ScionLife several times, but I am NOT going to guide you to them.

Just fasten the belt, look the other way, or set something on the dash in front of the light...
Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

am i mistaken to say that the connector that senses a seatbelt that is fastened is beneath your seat? maybe you can unplug the connector and put a jumper wire in it..
Old 09-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CrayonBOX, that can also mess up the airbag deployment... The belts, indicators, and airbags are all tied in together...
Old 09-12-2005, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

agreed. i don't want to get into rewiring and getting all crazy. unplugging a fuse, removing a light or putting a piece of black electrical tape over the inside of the dash is about as far as i want/should go.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(1) That fuse has a whole lot of things on it.
(2) The "light" is a soldered-to-a-circuitboard LED.
(3) Black electrical tape will work - inside or outside the display.
(4) Since the computer can be instructed by the end user not to light the light in the tC, I suspect a similar set of steps exist for the xA and xB.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Tape inside might get hot and melt. If you are going that far why not just pull the 2 bulbs and be done with it.
It originally sounded like you didn't wan't do anthing hard. Thats why I suggested the other thing. My bad.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks tom!

so that leaves the question, does anyone know the steps for disabling the light?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i may pull the light. i'm trying to avoid that though b/c the light is soldered in their to a circuit board. if i ever sell the car in the future i don't want the buyer to ask, "why isn't that light lighting up? i need the light there." then i have to go through a process of soldering a light back on there. reprogramming it, taking out a fuse or using some tape is definitely my preference.

since i would imagine the little LED light can't get too hot a piece of tape inside may not be all that bad. hrm.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by suprfli
i may pull the light. i'm trying to avoid that though b/c the light is soldered in their to a circuit board. if i ever sell the car in the future i don't want the buyer to ask, "why isn't that light lighting up? i need the light there." then i have to go through a process of soldering a light back on there. reprogramming it, taking out a fuse or using some tape is definitely my preference.

since i would imagine the little LED light can't get too hot a piece of tape inside may not be all that bad. hrm.
Unless they have had an xB, they wouldn't even know about the light. So why tell them about it. lol
Yeah, since they are leds tape should do the trick. I'm going to try that on mine.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I really don't like assisting in disabling a federally required safety feature, so this is absolutely as far as I go in assisting.

Try the ...[EDIT]...

Or just put black tape on the back of the display window...

(Of course you realize if you then forget to fasten your belt there is NO guarantee the airbags will fire, either.)

You're on your own.

*washes hands*
Old 09-12-2005, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

jethro: i was thinking the same thing. believe me, if i ever sell the car i won't be mentioning some of the little mods i've done. =)

i went to take some of my dash off the other day. i took part of it off by pulling out the part around the speedomoter. as i moved down i noticed there was a little screw in there but i wasn't sure how to get that off so i could completely remove it and get more access. has this already been discussed?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tom, hehe. thanks. i thought about the federal requirements and i thought i was leaning on the laws but not going over the line since my intention isn't to disbale the seatbelts but just get rid of the annoying light. thanks again! you rock!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless they have had an xB, they wouldn't even know about the light. So why tell them about it. lol
Maybe because every new car has been required by federal law to have that light for years and years??? Could be.

That's one of many things I check in a used car...
Old 09-12-2005, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'm just going to make a cover for the whole section out of electrical tape. Then remove it if need be down the road. Should look invisable.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

so i was mistaken; thanks for catching that..

Quick Reply: Disable seatbelt blinking light?