Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Disappointed in 5 speed xB

Old 07-05-2004, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Disappointed in 5 speed xB

I went and test drove a 5 speed xB yesturday and was a little disappointed by the whole experience. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the xB, and I will be getting a Thundercloud in a couple of weeks. But I just thought the 5 speed was really weak. I have driven a couple of auto xB's and wanted to see if the 5 speed might be a little quicker. But is doesn't seem like it is at all. In fact, the gearbox was so tight and sticky that I think the auto was actually a little quicker. Anyone else have a similar experience? I guess I'm gonna end up poppin the $800 for the auto tranny. Not sure what the hell I'm gonna do with my right hand though!!! I've been driving nothing but standards for 8 years now!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:39 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

its not faster. I've raced auto tranny xBs. but what do you expect from a 108 hp car???
Old 07-05-2004, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With only 1.5 liters pumping out 105 hp, doesn't matter whether it has a stick or auto, it's gonna be slow. I like the stick because I want the ability to shift the engine myself. The stick also seems to be geared to make the most use of what little hp the car has. It could sure use a 6-speed tho, in order to get those rpms down when it's cruising along at highway speeds (3500 rpms at 65 mph). My SRT-4 was only pulling 2500 rpms at the same speed.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have both. Since you sound like I sounded when I p[icked up our 5 spd (I'd only driven an auto when I ordered the 5 speed) I'd recommend the auto. Lower RMPS at highway speed..(That's right, auto turns lower rpms) really no slower and the 5spd tranny is notchy and icky while the auto is smooth. Since the box's bounce up and down enough the added bouncing back and forth is tiring sometimes.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member

I personally thought that the 5spd that we got had a little more seat of the pants power than the auot that we drove in a test drive, esp. with the ari on. I will also note that the 5spd is one of the smoothest shifting cars that I have driven reciently, once I got used to the short travel of the clutch pedal.

I think the 1.5l motor wants to have a little higher rpms to drive right anyway. Mine shifts best about 3500-4000rpms.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you people clearly don't know how to drive the 5 speed then

i've raced about 4 auto xb's and won by a landslide....the 5 speed def has a lot more pickup if u know what ur doing....

Jeff
Old 07-05-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Racing a Scion? Get Real.

Question: Why speak of "racing" when the car has only 108 hp??? So it's quicker than my pull-start mower, but not by much. Are you "racing" people on the freeways that you imagine are racing against you because they looked at you cross-eyed? If so, perhaps you're off you medication...

I find this topic too humerous and sometimes a bit disturbing. Now if you had a Charger with a 440 Hemi or a GM 454, you could back up your boasting, but you have a 108 hp go-cart engine.

So, what gives with all the racing stories?

Old 07-05-2004, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i'm talking about "racing" auto xb's the same car as mine but with a different trans, so i think u need to read before u speak....the point of "racing" these other xB's is to see if the five-speed really is quicker than the auto....sorry that i displeased you may i kiss ur feet now?

Jeff
Old 07-05-2004, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Trust me, it's more disappointed in you.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by xboxPS2
i'm talking about "racing" auto xb's the same car as mine but with a different trans, so i think u need to read before u speak....the point of "racing" these other xB's is to see if the five-speed really is quicker than the auto....sorry that i displeased you may i kiss ur feet now?

Jeff
Don't be a d*ck. I did read your message. If I offended you, be a big boy and get over it.

Old 07-05-2004, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First and foremost>>>>>> The engine is the 1.5 liter VVT-I... The (I) part of that equation stands for intelligence. That means that as you drive the engine will mix your fuel ratio and open and close your intake to maximize your driving habit. That pretty much means that if your a lead foot the chip in the engine will modify your fuel to air ratio to maximize speed. And if your a cruiser then it will work in the opposite direction maximizing fuel economy but making it a bit slower. We have tried out this theory on our xB that we have had for 6-7 months and noticed that it runs quicker than an 05 xb with the same set-up. You have to break in your engine first then you will notice the diff. and notice how it will feel a bit more powerful after a few thousand miles on it. But if you want a bit more power you could also just add the intake and exhaust with some nice headers and you'll be set.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The dealer in this area has raced the auto and 5-spd he has and the five speed runs about 1.5 seconds quicker in the quarter...
Old 07-06-2004, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Cruiserblue

Jeff
Don't be a d*ck. I did read your message. If I offended you, be a big boy and get over it.
Wasn't trying to be a dick i was frustrated that you were making me be redundant....

plus i had a big fight with the ex right b4 i posted on here....i do apologize....

Jeff
Old 07-06-2004, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Love the Auto, didn't even try the stick.

And It's not like I'm trailing behind the sticks when we travel, maybe in a straight push with no traffic off the start but maybe not... :twisted:

1.5 secs at top speed is maybe 2-3 carlengths? I can make that up in reaction time and/or traffic... It should depend more on what kind of driving you do.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
1.5 secs at top speed is maybe 2-3 carlengths? I can make that up in reaction time and/or traffic... It should depend more on what kind of driving you do.
Actually a 1/10 of a second is = to 1 car length so, i doubt it's 1.5 sec faster. and seems be more correct that the Auto is more cosistant in times. i'd bet with even good driving prowess, your Manual might get 1 maybe 2, 1/10 faster. Front wheel dr vehicles follow weight rules in this mannor usually every 60 lbs = 1 car length or 1/10 of a sec. or 1 hp worth of gain. Where as rear wheel drives (like someones 440, lol.) needs to stiffin' its diet to lose 100 lbs for each 1/10 of a sec. The rear squats under launch because of weight transfer causing more pressure on the rear tires therefor loss of traction can be observed at times.

You can take any car and turn down mid to high 13's, don't care what it is. but know that going from a mid 13 to a low 13, and a low 13 to a high 12 is where it gets harder and more substantial a pain and drain in the wallet.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiserblue

Jeff
Wasn't trying to be a dick i was frustrated that you were making me be redundant....

plus i had a big fight with the ex right b4 i posted on here....i do apologize....

Jeff
No worries. I didn't mean to direct the comment about racing specifically to you, hence my changing the topic of the post in my first message - it was intended to be a general comment, but in retrospect, not the best place to post it.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nairod
First and foremost>>>>>> The engine is the 1.5 liter VVT-I... The (I) part of that equation stands for intelligence. That means that as you drive the engine will mix your fuel ratio and open and close your intake to maximize your driving habit. That pretty much means that if your a lead foot the chip in the engine will modify your fuel to air ratio to maximize speed. And if your a cruiser then it will work in the opposite direction maximizing fuel economy but making it a bit slower. We have tried out this theory on our xB that we have had for 6-7 months and noticed that it runs quicker than an 05 xb with the same set-up. You have to break in your engine first then you will notice the diff. and notice how it will feel a bit more powerful after a few thousand miles on it. But if you want a bit more power you could also just add the intake and exhaust with some nice headers and you'll be set.
I didn't realize that. So the 5 speed I drove that had 4 miles on it probably was not the best representation of the 5 speeds potential?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:29 AM
Jay
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I got the auto in mine just so the wife can drive.
this is a commuter/city car. If i wanted fast i would have stuck with my FC as a daily driver.I still have the FC...but now its on toy status.

I really dont care if there is a diffrence becasue both are slow..
Old 07-07-2004, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I can CERTAINLY vouch for the 5speed being quicker AND faster than the AT in the quarter, and overall. My parents own a Thundercloud AT, and I own a Black Sand Pearl 5speed. And actually today I got to drive my parents car for like the 100th time, and they're car is noticeably slower, off the line, from a roll, and total acceleration.

According to ALL of the Major Car magazines, including Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc. the 5speed runs about a 17.1-17.3 1/4mile time, while the Automatic runs about a 17.9-18.3 in the 1/4.

I truely think the 5spd pulls more from a start, and from a roll, and you can really feel the power in the 5spd.

No matter how I launched my parents car, it still really lagged with putting the power down.

I don't know how many countless times my father and I have raced eachother b4 just for fun, and my dad was blown AWAY by how much quicker my car was than theirs, every single time I raced him. Well, actually once I lost, because I missed 3rd gear, (can't find it, GRIND it).

So, all in all, thats how I felt from the start, and thats how I still feel.

Any person out there with an AT xA or xB, willing to race me, feel free to drop me a challenge, and I'll gladly accept to demonstrate how I feel about this deal...lol

j/k^^

well, later everyone, and its glad to be back on Scionlife.com

late.

-Tylor
Old 07-07-2004, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

p.s. yeah, I agree driving two new cars, an AT xB, and a MT xB, NEW, kinda, kinda not shows the REAL potential of the little cars...

My car has about 10k miles on it (bought it June 7th, 2003), and my parents' have EXACTLY 20k miles on theirs (bought theirs June 14th, 2003). Letting the engine break in, and depending on how you drove the car during break in, kinda determines how your car performs now.

yeah...forgot to add that in my last post^^, lol

late.

-Tylor

keep it real, and don't get your panties in a bunch over stupid stuff....

Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disappointed in 5 speed xB