First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Does anyone have the cargo net?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Does anyone have the cargo net?

I'm thinking about getting one for my wife's xB. We've had two times now that we opened the back to unload stuff and something fell out, hitting the top of the bumper area. One time was while unloading camping stuff, and one time was a can of soup that rolled out of one of the useless plastic grocery bags. Do any of you have the cargo net, and how well does it work for you? I remember reading somewhere that the net only hooks at the top and the bottom just kind of hangs down like an unsecured flap. If that's true, it may not help what I want it for.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member

my cargo net hooks only at the top. Stuff can fall through the bottom
Old 08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have one--had two actually!! Save your $$$$, not very usefull!! Would be better if one could secure the bottom along with the top!! As matt stated,they only secure at the top!!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shoot.....that's what I was afraid of. I wonder if there is a way to "modify" the net so that it would hook at the bottom. If it did, do you think it would be useful then?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, it only attaches at the top. Unless all your stuff can fit inside the net, it really won't stop anything from falling out. Unless, like has already been mentioned, you can secure the bottom as well. I'm sure it can be easily and cheaply done, using some kind of post and connecting device (either a small snaplink or clip like you find on a dog leash).
Old 08-14-2005, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member

I got the cargo net because of the problem of things falling out.

It works as long as you load some stuff in to the cargo net, which then holds the bottom in place so that other stuff behind the cargo net can't shift as easily. It was worth the $$.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, got it...love it!
Load your stuff INSIDE the net
Anything can be modified
Old 08-15-2005, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member

Think of it as more of a "hammock" than a retaining net. I've been considering some sort of velcro anchors for the bottom.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay.....so it sounds like it could possibly work if I modify it a little. Let me ask this: Does it stretch across the back close to the rear hatch door, or is it set further in? I wouldn't want it to be too far in, because that would just take away from the available space back there. I'm hoping it's almost against the rear door.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member

I have 2 sets of hooks..one closer to the seat, the other closer to the hatch. if you use the set closest to the hatch and load stuff inside the net you shouldn't have a prob with stuff falling out on you. The net was definitely a worth it buy for me!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member

Default net replacement

Gentlemen (and ladies), all are lamanting about the uslessness of the
Toyota net.

I have the simple fix. Don't Buy one !!!!!!!!

I went to the dollar store and for three bucks i found two (2 for 3.00) yellow laundry baskets that were just small enough to fit into the space with the back seat up. They also had white/black and green.

Works for me, after shopping i load the groceries into the baskets and it makes it easier to carry into the house. Idle, they fit inside of each other and out of the way.
Even works for long weekends, clothes, essentials and non-essentials fit into one or two of the baskets and are out of the way and most importantly, doesn't fall out when opening the back.

Jerry
Old 08-16-2005, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member

We use a folding cargo organizer in the back for the little stuff, too.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find it useful, not perfect, but useful.

It works great from stopping groceries from falling out when you open the back. To me that is pretty useful.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't want to sound like a dummy, but I will. A cargo net came with my XB, but I have no idea how to attach it. I assume that the net should connect at each end onto the hooks? Mine doesn't seem to reach. It seems that it is adjustable, but it appears to be adjusted at full length already. Any help would be appreciated. Just yell at me if you want me to post a new forum.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cueball3
I don't want to sound like a dummy, but I will. A cargo net came with my XB, but I have no idea how to attach it. I assume that the net should connect at each end onto the hooks? Mine doesn't seem to reach. It seems that it is adjustable, but it appears to be adjusted at full length already. Any help would be appreciated. Just yell at me if you want me to post a new forum.
Mine came with that too. It's not a cargo net. It's a net that you use to secure a tire in the event of a flat. If you have a flat and need to change the tire, the full size tire and rim you will be taking off the car will not fit where the small temporary spare goes. The full-size tire and rim will need to be stood up in the back of your car. If you didn't secure it somehow, it would flop back and forth and bang up your car pretty badly. That net they gave you is to hold it still. It should have come with an instruction paper.
Oh...BTW, it doesn't conect to the hooks on the side. If I remember correctly, it loops over the rear headrests.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:52 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeadCheese
We use a folding cargo organizer in the back for the little stuff, too.
I have one of those and it fits in the small storage compartment when not in use.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cueball3
Yeah, ....sorry but
read your manual.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

matt_a: Thanks, buddy. 2k5 BOP xB: Manual? Oh, that's what that thing is in the glove compartment. I was too excited to drive my toaster. Anyway, reading is overrated.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC net hooks at the bottom and the top. If you get one of those nets , I bet you could install two hooks for the xB so that it would hook in the bottom and the top. Come to think of it, I might try that myself.

Its funny that the tC one hooks in the bottom, its a lot less likely to have stuff roll out the back in the first place.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
The tC net hooks at the bottom and the top. If you get one of those nets , I bet you could install two hooks for the xB so that it would hook in the bottom and the top. Come to think of it, I might try that myself.

Its funny that the tC one hooks in the bottom, its a lot less likely to have stuff roll out the back in the first place.
Try it and let me know. If it works, I'll just order the tC cargo net instead!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have the cargo net?