Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Is the Factory alarm worth it? What is?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is the Factory alarm worth it? What is?

I as of today I am one step closer to a hot lava and i just wanted to know if i dish out the 500+ for the factory alarm, or go with something aftermarket like a DEI (viper). I would like to stick around 500... yeah yall are gonna lay down the "you get what you pay for routine I'm sure"

The guy with his scion stolen brought up a good point and I am sure once the few of us that are gonna be fortunate enough to get that RS1 realize that their are far more who weren't so fortunate (demand) and the thieves are bound to surface.

I had planned to stick to the factory alarm to keep the wiring simple and hopefully correct... and also because of the common sense idea that scion would know whats best for a scion (could very well be wrong).

As always any feedback or input is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would take that 500 and get an aftermarket alarm, battery backup and a hood lock.
You should be able to get that for around 500.
I bought the Viper 791xv for 220 online.
30 for battery backup.
70 for hood lock.
I don't think installation would be more than 200.
I would also install a ghost switch, this switch would have to be pressed to start the car every time.
This will slow down the person trying to steal your car.
If they want it bad enough they will get a tow truck and tow it away.
I don't think the factory alarm has an security features that a good alarm has.
No starter kill, no remote start, no ghost switch, no battery backup, no paging feature no blinking led to warn, no trunk or hood protection.
I think the only good thing about the factory alarm is that it unlocks and locks the doors. Wow all that for 500. I could buy a cheap unit to lock and unkock my doors.
YIKES!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ditto 2 that
Old 02-18-2004, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go with aftermarket...more features...
Old 02-18-2004, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about anyone with the factory alarm? Do you like it? What all does it do? I would like to know also as I'm not sure to get the Viper or factory.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

do not get the factory alarm, especially @ $500
Old 02-18-2004, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default I have a Factory alarm

It does have starter kill.
It has one blinking LED.
It goes off as soon as a door is unlocked or opened (whether pryed or not). If the
alarm is set of the the starter kill is activated until the alarm is disarmed.
Sound of breaking glass will set the alarm off.
Overall I am satisfied with the system. I would definetly suggest getting it and
recommend installing it your self to save about $200 bones. Then with the extra
money you can spend it on a......Oh and if the battery is disconnected, than the alarm
will sound as soon as it is reconnected (assuming it is armed when the battery is
disconnected). ........So with the extra money you can install a ghost switch and hood
lock.
I think some after-market alarms are just over-kill, that's my opinion. If someone is
going to steal your car and wants it bad enough it doesn't matter if it has an alarm or
not/ whether it's factory or not.
For me all I need is something to discourage theft but when it comes to the pro. thief,
(s)he'll figure out a way.......
Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Default money

Aftermarket always has its advantages. You have the choice to decide who installs and what is going to be installed.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

Ghost switch, i always called it a kill switch. I once saw a car with the kill switch set up so that you had to have the left turn signal on to start the car.

I too am getting the RS1, and reading the posts last night made me realize that living so close to a populated area like Philly that i too need some kind of security system on my ride. First, im going to have the dealer install Low Jack, just the tracking device, should run me about $500. Then, i have a freind here on this site looking into getting my a kill switch that needs a key to start it. Its a little black box the size of a box of matches, and there is a flat key that has a chip inside it. Insert key into box, and car starts, but with out the special key, the car wont start. From what i understand, the wiring is all black, so a theif cant easily rewire the car. During the night my xB will be sleeping in my garage too, so that should help.

Oh, and from what i have heard, its cheaper to get an aftermarket alarm system, you can customize it, and wont cost you an arm and a leg. Better get busy researching it though, our RS1s will be here soon.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member

My GM minivan has an aftermarket ghost switch that you have to hold the cruise control resume when you turn the key in order to start the engine. I bought the vehicle second hand, and have no idea what alarm system is in it. I hate having to describe to the mechanics/service writer how to start the engine every stinkin' time I take it in! They can never remenber. And then when I go to pick it up after they're done, it takes at least an extra 10 minutes for the porter to figure out how to get it back to me.

I'm so use to it now, however, that on nearly every car I get into I try to hit the cruise resume when I turn the key. Passengers keep trying to figure out what the he** I'm doing.
Old 02-19-2004, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The aftermarket alarm is a good alarm, although it too is an "aftermarket" designed by another company just for Toyota. I too install these alarms for dealerships, and it is amazing the price that can charge for them, since they are actually around $38.00 cost!

Another suggestion to those who install an aftermarket alarm, request the installer to install the brain of the alarm behind the factory head unit. This way if someone breakes in the car, they can merely "jerk" out the alarm brain to by-pass the system, this too would apply for the starter kill socket and relay.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member

That's true the factory is aftermarket too. I just like what I like . I gues sit depends on what options you want and whether you trust someone else installing in youer car. Good luck
Old 02-19-2004, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
kill switch that needs a key to start it. Its a little black box the size of a box of matches, and there is a flat key that has a chip inside it. Insert key into box, and car starts, but with out the special key, the car wont start.
i had this system and it was a nightmare.

At a car wash the guy broke the slot that the chip/key goes in.

i tried gluing it back together...but it always just broke again.

Before i finally had the whole system removed...i had to hold the chip in place while i started the car (thankfully the chip didn't have to be in place for the car to keep running)
Old 02-19-2004, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

I dont know why anyone buys anything optional like rims, stereos or alarms from the dealer. Take that money and get it done at a specialty shop. Hell, even BestBuy. Scion wanted to charge me an extra $2000 for thier TRD performance rims......I can get way better rims for much, much less.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn acidburn...i couldnt agree with you anymore!! in another thread, a guy said that hes got the TRD rims that the dealership "conned him into getting." he seemed proud of em!! i mean, they are nice. and i was excited when i saw em on the RS1.0 on the site because i thot they were included with the 980 bones. oh well, people must have millions and millions of dollars to spend!
Old 02-20-2004, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

abcdefg
Old 02-20-2004, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member

No one is dissing you for adding the TRD wheels.....that wasnt my intention. I understand some people have the "I want them now" feeling. Thats cool, but my only point was that you could get better rims for cheaper overall. Mommy and Daddy had nothing to do with the purchase of MY XB. If I wanted to finance a set of rims, I would go to "rent to own" tired and rims.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

I wasn't referring to your post, Acid.. I don't believe that your post was in any way offensive towards anyone who would purchase the TRD wheel package.. I know that you can get better rims for less.. Also, there isn't a place anywhere near where I live that offers 'rent to own' tires and rims, I looked ..

The post I was replying to was that of danman822_whatever's in which he referred to me, (although not referring to me directly by name, it was obvious since he basically quoted a sentence fragment from a previous post of mine) taking my words completely out of context, since my original words were obviously infested with sarcasm, and then giving me a previously unexpressed action. The action being that I "seemed proud". wtf?

I deleted my verbal beating directed at danman, I really feel sorry for the guy now after reading some of his newer posts... I had no idea he was mentally handicapped IRL.. I am sorry.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member

What are the warranty implications of installing an aftermarket alarm?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was recommended to me to buy an aftermarket alarm with a car starting and windows up option, meaning I would be able to start the car with a button, as to warm it up on the cold days here in Jersey. The windows would go up automatically when I lock the car, too (if I understood him right). Keep in mind, the stock alarm is the xB's horn, which isn't all that loud.

xBassist. I think the TRD rims dealerships offer are nice! Pay no attention to the pessimists. They're just mad they couldn't afford the option.

I'm going for a set of Motegi DP6's straight from the dealer, so there is a good chance I will be a bit overcharged, too. Who cares, at least we got the rims we wanted.

Bob

Quick Reply: Is the Factory alarm worth it? What is?