First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Firesquare's xB has passed away. 2004-2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Firesquare's xB has passed away. 2004-2009

yup. last week (if anyone hasnt heard)i had a misfire i was chasing for a good 7-8,000 miles. doing everything i could to sort of forget the fact it could have ben internal. i changed plugs twice in 100-mile , changed (expensive Royal purple) oil, seafoamed, added lucas one oil change, added restore another time. and it was still there. the code would come right back on after a day.

so after debating and forcing myself the "this is all a dream" thing i went to Toyota of Wilmington to check it out. he went and diagnosed it and it was "fine" when it was cold which was true. swapped coils and checked the gap on all 4 plugs and i was on my way. free of charge. the ight comes back on 2 days later. i bring it back in and they do a compression test. #1 is dead with only 90PSI and #2 on its way out with only 120PSI the others were well over 180PSI. so as upset as i was i went to the used car department and got a 2007 Radiant Red Tacoma X-Runner. its a sweet truck and all but its not my xB

what i dont understand is i changed fluids and plugs as per the manufacturer. why would the motor let go at only 148,000 daily driven mileage. its not abused, its driven at alot of high rpm's for the stupid fact that the final drive in our 5'speeds are lame.

it was finally paid off in march and now im back with payments again. I'm mad with this 1NZ-FE. not Toyota. now I'm hearing people dropping motors here and there. what was your issue on the fact?

here is the dealer pics of the X-R. ill be on SL as often as i'm on X-Runner Underground. ny mane is the same. i cant think of anything clever for the X-R

Mods? in time my sons, in time............
Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a little jealous.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Sucks to hear, dude. Sorry.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Got an auto so maybe I'll fare better. For my 2006 BSP, I bought a spare engine and I'm doing a full build w/ Wiseco pistons, Crower rods, etc. The pistons were 10:1 .5mm over so the block got bored for a true fit, and with new rings from Wiseco going in I shouldn't have an issue. Doing this to run a 150 HP Garrett turbo setup, stock internals won't hold.

For my '04 PW daily driver, it's at 90k with no issues, actually running better than the '06, but that may be because the '06 is on a second motor after throwing a rod (which is why I'm building the 3rd to handle it).

What I plan on doing is taking the stock motor currently in the '06, and when it gets pulled to put in the built motor, tearing it down and replacing the rings / bearings and doing a new hone. Might reseat the valves too if they need it. This way I'll have basically a new motor ready to go in case the 2004 starts having issues as it gets up in years. Don't think I'd sell either one, at this point I've got enough parts in the shed to build a 3rd I think. Should cost me under $150 for a full gasket set, rings and bearings.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very sorry to hear :-(

this is the first bad news i've heard with the longevity of these cars. i hope i don't have the same experience.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm confused on why the stock internals couldn't hold a motor with just an intake and exhaust.

I've been watching your build here and there. i hope all is good with it.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sorry to hear about your xb man. i am going to be down there next week, do you know of any meets or where other fellow scion owners hang out?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha. not in Wilmington. every xB in town is stock except mine. and only (one) handfull of tuned tC's no modded xA's here either. all teh action is in the CLT area.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

sorry to hear about the box man, but the x-runner is sweet
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare
i'm confused on why the stock internals couldn't hold a motor with just an intake and exhaust.

I've been watching your build here and there. i hope all is good with it.
Wasn't just an intake. At the time it was a CAI, supercharger, header and cat-back. Engine let go at 55, either from cumulitive sress from the charger or, according to the dealer who looked over the engine post-boom, hydrolock from the intake. They said that 2 of 4 cylinders looked steam claned, other two had carbon, and there was no evidence of detonation.

After that, the 2nd motor went in with a Greddy turbo. I've pulled the Greddy with the show season over, and will be putting in the 3rd motor, built, with the 365 turbo. Greddy's up for sale when I finish cleaning it up. Justin from PTuning I think has set the bar in proving that 150 is about the limit with a turbo on stock internals. He's finally building his 6th engine I believe.

Any reason for jumping to a truck, need the bed space or towing, or just like the look?
Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

love the look, love the bigger size. its no good for backseat people which its just for my son and another son on the way in February or march. gas mileage is crappy but i wont buy a vehicle just based on mileage. that's no fun at all.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well its a nice upgrade... i just hope your trucks frame doesn't rust away...
Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i live in the southeast. no salt or snow here :-). and when i make my bi-yearly trips to NY i wont be going when it has snowed or anything like that.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry for your loss
I'm guessing they didn't have any used xB's at the dealership?

It's pretty pathetic that people would rather have something different like a Tacoma to replace their xB1 than the new xB2.

We should have improved 2010 editions of our favorite little xB.

Toyota at least finally realizes they need something great to keep them from being passed by VW. (inevitable now it seems, wheres our iQ?!)

We will all have to replace our boxes one of these days.

I'm at 89,800 miles and I'm hoping nothing happens, I feel bad for going 6,000 miles without an oil change but it's all good now.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zman
I'm sorry for your loss
I'm guessing they didn't have any used xB's at the dealership?

It's pretty pathetic that people would rather have something different like a Tacoma to replace their xB1 than the new xB2.

We should have improved 2010 editions of our favorite little xB.

Toyota at least finally realizes they need something great to keep them from being passed by VW. (inevitable now it seems, wheres our iQ?!)

We will all have to replace our boxes one of these days.

I'm at 89,800 miles and I'm hoping nothing happens, I feel bad for going 6,000 miles without an oil change but it's all good now.
I needed a bigger and more comfortable vehicle with actual usable horsepower and torque(and more available with mods and the sexy 4.0L TRD supercharger) The new xB has no WOW factor for me. the X-Runner is something i thought was cool anyways.

When i bought my xB i was single with no kids. now with a 2 year old and one on the way and the bi-yearly NC to NY trips and i could never fit anything in the xB.

I'm still a Toyota owner so its all good.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Paul your gonna be a dad again? Number 3 wow! I am not not far behind you in miles...your story makes me nervous
Old 12-18-2009, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I needed a bigger and more comfortable vehicle with actual usable horsepower and torque(and more available with mods and the sexy 4.0L TRD supercharger) The new xB has no WOW factor for me. the X-Runner is something i thought was cool anyways.

When i bought my xB i was single with no kids. now with a 2 year old and one on the way and the bi-yearly NC to NY trips and i could never fit anything in the xB.

I'm still a Toyota owner so its all good.
If I had more power I would get more speeding tickets. It sucks being the slowest car on the road though. :?

Toyota is lucky you stayed on board.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
Paul your gonna be a dad again? Number 3 wow! I am not not far behind you in miles...your story makes me nervous
well lets say that this baby on the way (my sons mother) may be mine. we will see when he is born. its a very long story.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

well lets say that this baby on the way (my sons mother) may be mine. we will see when he is born. its a very long story.
wow as the world turns....I hope it works out for you Paul
Old 12-18-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Sorry, but congrats

Quick Reply: Firesquare's xB has passed away. 2004-2009