Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

First roadtrip - CRACKED WINDSHIELD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default First roadtrip - CRACKED WINDSHIELD!

Driving thru Nashville, going north to see my kids... big rock bounces off of utility truck right into my windhield. SMASH! No little pebble here - this thing almost went thru.

Anybody have to replace an xB windshield? How much was it?
Old 01-01-2007, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

your now a member of the club " welcome " 1,000's of members strong, lol, check around for the best price and look for it to happen again, and again................................
Old 01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member

shouldnt it be free through your insurance?
Old 01-01-2007, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not sure dude, think it may be in some parts, you'll have ta check on it, but look for it to happen again......... it's an xB thing, lol
Old 01-01-2007, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Google search came up with <$285. Whether it's covered or not by insurance depends on the policy. You need to have comprehensive to cover damage to your vehicle. I'm pretty sure most states only require collision. Although the finance company probably requires comprehensive.

No claim is "free"- you pay higher premiums for zero deductible. I think most of the time the claim will be "free" if they can repair the windshield instead of replacing it. I'm sure it all goes in the insurance company's files to raise your rates later though.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Sorry to hear that dougb415. This is the only vehicle that I had to learn where to keep it placed and constantly be alert to possible hazzards while driving. Accidents will happen but it is possible to help these windshield live a somewhat normal life but it takes alot of work. I've got 30K on my original window but it has some small pitting nothing major yet. Knock on wood!!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Glass insurance covers it...maybe $20 deductible for it....if you have it. Glass insurance is a must!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was driving down my street last night and heard a pop and just watched my window split from the top right to the bottom left nothing hit it i was going like 15 mph no cars around no pits in window or anything so right away i took it to the dealer where i got it and there going to replace it free tomorrow morning!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

glass insurance is liek 30+ bucks a month for my policy so i'm cool.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: First roadtrip - CRACKED WINDSHIELD!

Originally Posted by dougb415
Driving thru Nashville, going north to see my kids... big rock bounces off of utility truck right into my windhield. SMASH! No little pebble here - this thing almost went thru.

Anybody have to replace an xB windshield? How much was it?
Had my box One day Husband dr it to wrk bamb crack windshield!!just a crack but on a day old car it feels like a total ruin!Most and Geico does cover that w/no did.I had it fixed bc they say" join the club this happens often!"sorrry but true,just be thankful no one got hurt.
By the way I have an adorable nefew Chris Connally frm tenn if u see him say hi,big tall guy w/tons of curls,loves cars!@19yrs.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member

State Farm did away with glass coverage last year. Lucky me, I get to eat this one *sigh* That rear sway bar is going to have to wait awhile...
Old 01-02-2007, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a huge rock chip on my way back from toronto

it like took out a huge chip in the window but never cracked it

it hasnt cracked so im holding out that it wont.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I've replaced mine twice now, and the new one is already cracked. I'm waiting until spring to get a new one.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm with State Farm and I don't have glass insurance, but I called them and told them my fears and all my agent did was lower my comprehensive deductable to 0. Now if and when my windshield is knocked out I won't have any out of pocket expenses. My monthly premiums only went up around $6.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know in Florida with state farm it's covered, but beware, it will be considered as a claim. My mother had the same problem with her vehicle (it was a lug nut or something similar) the insurance covered it with no problem... until my brother got into 2 accidents, and we were threated to have our insurance revoked for using it 3 times in 2 years. They counted the replacing of the windshield as a claim... those b#$%^&#s. So I would suggest so swallowing it and pay the 250 or 300 to get it fixed. Cause accidents do happen.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah, we're just going to foot the bill ourselves when the tax refund comes in. Guess I'll have to live with this til then....
Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I guess I can now add myself to the endless crew of xB owners whose windshield has been damaged by road debris. I've managed over 7000 miles of busy Houston streets without a single nick. Not any more. Yesterday, some @$$hole in a Ford F250 just HAD to pull out in front of me. In his efforts to swing his POS truck out into my lane at full tilt, he stomps on the gas, sends his rear tires into a spinning frenzy, and a little pea gravel that had accumulated at the parking lot entrance went airborne. SMACK!!! Instant rock chip in my windshield!!! I jammed on the brakes and swerved into the next lane to avoid any other flying debris and of course, his rear bumper.
It's a shame I didn't get my Scion ring until later yesterday evening. I would have LOVED to put a dent in this 'tard's forehead in the shape of the Scion oval! Oh, well. Maybe next time...
Has anyone had any luck having their windshield dings filled? Is it worth a shot or should I just wait for the infamous South Texas temperature change to crack the windshield, then replace it?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

UV7, you should have gotten his plate # and filed a police report and had his insurance replace your windshield. They don't consider it incidental damage when someone spins debris onto your car when it could have been avoided.

I had my first ding fixed and it held but a later one eventually cracked the windshield.

In SC it's a law that insurance must fix/replace winshields free because it's a safety issue. I'm on my 4th windshield in 2 years or so and I still have coverage and no rate changes.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had to replace my windshield in the first month.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I'm thinking new owners are driving the xB the same way they used to drive their previous vehicles. Hence the windshield damage. You have to completely change your previous habits and constantly be aware of possible dangers and make adjustments accordingly.

Quick Reply: First roadtrip - CRACKED WINDSHIELD!