Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

First roadtrip - CRACKED WINDSHIELD!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in MA, glass insurance is standard in all policies. but we also prob pay the most compared to everyone else
Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I'm thinking new owners are driving the xB the same way they used to drive their previous vehicles. Hence the windshield damage. You have to completely change your previous habits and constantly be aware of possible dangers and make adjustments accordingly.
I have always stayed as far away from other vehicles as I could get, and I drive my xB no differently. Maybe that's why I've never had an accident, and my xB windshield has no cracks or pits.

My modus operandi is that the other drivers are pretty much the only real danger on the road. Avoid them, and your life expectancy increases dramatically.

RichC
Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
Originally Posted by bB2NER
I'm thinking new owners are driving the xB the same way they used to drive their previous vehicles. Hence the windshield damage. You have to completely change your previous habits and constantly be aware of possible dangers and make adjustments accordingly.
I have always stayed as far away from other vehicles as I could get, and I drive my xB no differently. Maybe that's why I've never had an accident, and my xB windshield has no cracks or pits.

My modus operandi is that the other drivers are pretty much the only real danger on the road. Avoid them, and your life expectancy increases dramatically.

RichC
I like the way you think Bro!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm with the boys on this one. I hate to point fingers, but if you're putting your vehicle in a position where debris is pinging off it like a Pong paddle, maybe you need to modify your driving style somewhat.

This whole thing isn't REALLY an issue of car design - rocks are going to proceed according to the laws of physics, regardless of what they're aimed at. The difference is that the xB's windshield will crack, because of the angle, whereas on a Cavalier or something with a more slanty windshield it just goes ricochetting off into the night. (But the airbags deploy anyway.)

The thing to keep in mind is that this debis would have hit you no matter WHAT you were driving. So maybe you need to alter HOW you're driving.

I used to drive a Blazer that required, considerably more stopping distance than other vehicles, and occaionally a ditch, to come to a complete stop. The huge following distance I started allowing carried over to my xB. 30,000 miles later, through the most truck-heavy portions of Chicago and northwest Indiana, all of which has been under massive construction since THE DAWN OF MAN, and I'm fine.

I realize there is the occasional freak accident, but come on, people - if you're on your fifth windshield in a year-old car, maybe you should put more than three feet between you and the back wheels of the Peterbilt in front of you.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was quoted $250.84 by Safelite AutoGlass (the website says might need a $57.51 install kit??). My insurance company is going to cover some of it...I think with my policy the cost is $100. I have the hood deflector, and it hasn't prevented 1 chip and 1 huge crack...oh well..
Old 01-06-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

At least not everyone thinks I'm a kook for driving like everyone on the road is out to harm my xB. With this shape vehicle you have to modify the way you used to drive or pay pay the price by replacing windshields on a regular basis.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

im on my 2nd windshield, and the 2nd one allready has 5 rock shoots in it, all on the drivers side of course....
Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

4th windshield in a year and a half...Go Scion windshield! It does not matter how you drive ur xB in Az...Rocks and debris fly from all over...Atleast my windshield replacements are free, FOR NOW...Hope they dont drop my xB's policy because of the claims...
Old 01-07-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Note to self! Buy stock in company that makes xB windshields. LOL
Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I always thought there was a law that required insurances to pay for busted windshields (not a tiny crack)
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn! After reading through this thread I consider myself damn lucky. I was driving back from Dallas on I-20 after new years and some @$$hole in a Cadillac decides to throw a can out of his window. One bounce off the freeway and straight into my windshield. No crack or anything but I was still ____ed and there was nothing I could do about it.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

im on windsheild #3...

first was a bit of concreate off the bed of a truck i was following, IRONY... I was following my dad to a house that we were working on...

second was a hammer that fell off scaffolding that i was parked next too...

from now on I dont drive my xB to construction sites where i am working....
Old 01-08-2007, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah but who the hell can afford a force field around their automobile with the way some of these idots drive.Someone needs to invent car condoms so that nothing gets in and nothing gets out.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I knew it was going to happen. Not evena week later to. Was driving back from Destin last night and I notice because someone's headlights bounced off of it. A hairline crack from the very top of the windshield curving down towards the niddle about 10 inches long. The funny thing is is that theres no impact mark at the top and I was driving all day.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just got a factory windshield for free so i have a spare
friend of mine worked at a shop and before he left he took it
Old 01-16-2007, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDBox
i just got a factory windshield for free so i have a spare
friend of mine worked at a shop and before he left he took it
Isn't that special. Admitting you have a friend that's a thief.