First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Gas Mileage Gloating

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Gas Mileage Gloating

With the disaster affecting gas prices, is anyone else taking sick glee in getting 30+ per gallon?

Also, does anyone know if roof racks knock MPG down by about 1MPG or by about 3? If it's 3, I'm probably taking the rack off.

Finally, what's your average mileage. I have gotten between 29 and 35, but never more or less. And my base mileage is right at 31 or 32.

Car is a 2004 xA automatic phantom grey

Jeff
Old 09-01-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The rack on my Grand Caravan costs me about 3-4 mpg. 2 bike racks, a basket in the middle, no fairing.

Depends on the setup and the car but I'd say if you're not gonna get caught in a position of suddenly needing it, take it off.

I get a pretty solid 26-29, not adjusted for tire size and not babying it either. Time=Money
Old 09-01-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get typically 30-32. It helps alot right now. It's not sick glee or anything because I'm still paying for gas anyway. It was my choice to buy an xA, its their choice to buy something else. They've been paying more in gasoline than me for a while now, so does that really matter? It's just that the prices are raised above anyone's expectations.

I've been letting my boyfriend take my car without me more often because of prices and if it's traffic or city driving, my xA fairs better than his Altima, and it's really coming out of the house's pocket instead of either of us individually.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get 36 mpg. Mix of 70% city, 30% highway.

I drive like a grandma!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get around 32 city and around 34-36 highway

two and from work lasts me around 2 weeks per tank full

my mileage is gonna gain a small increase in mpg not much just a small percentage (gonna be lowering it )
Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah....I had a talk with a guy at the gas station who drove an H2, I made a comment about how his gas price was ending up in the upper $70's. It makes me smile when I can fill up my tank for under $30 and drive off while people that were there when I arrived are still pumping away.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right now some of the gas stations where I live (Greenville SC) are either out of gas or limiting customers to only 10 gallons. I don't have to worry too much as 10 gallons will hold me for a while. But the gas prices and shortage??? do have me a bit worried as I'm spending the long weekend commuting back and forth between Greenville SC and Asheville NC (over 60 miles one way).

I set my trip odometer when I topped off this PM and will top off again tomorrow PM and try to figure out my gas milage. Should be interesting, as this is mountain driving with the AC on (well, mountain driving for the southeast anyway).
Old 09-02-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In texas more and more gas stations are limiting people to $50 and then the pump shuts off. You're supposed to pay and then go back to the beginning of the line so people behind you can fill up. I suppose some people are cheating.

People at my work are complaining that its north of $80 to fill up a pickup or SUV...

$2.99 most places, some more, some less.

We've got 25,000 refugees from katrina here in Dallas, as do San Antonio and Houston. Not to mention the thousands that got here in their cars when they evacuated ahead of the storm. They're enrolling in schools, finding places to rent, looking for jobs... demand is just going to keep going up.

Oh, and about a roof rack - on an old car I no longer have it made my highway mileage drop by 10% - from 20 mpg to 18 mpg.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not saying it's nice to brag...but I do feel good with my xA getting 36MPG...and my Prius getting 60.

I'm doing my part to save gas.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:49 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the prius cheats on gas mileage all thanks to the power electric motors and the bank of batteries
Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At this time of great tragedy and national disaster shouldn't we be thinking, praying and doing something for the victims of Katrina? I'm not thinking much of "gloating" about my Scion gas mileage. Geesh.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hornet_on_flower
the prius cheats on gas mileage all thanks to the power electric motors and the bank of batteries
ah, maybe you should learn about the car.

One electric motor, not 'motors'. And, one battery, not a 'bank of batteries'

All a hybrid does, is save gas, by allowing the gas motor to not run as often.

It's not a long term fix, but it is a step in the riight direction.

Oh, so you know, the gas motor in a Prius? The same one that is in the SCION xA and xB.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:52 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes and its slightly detuned too i do believe
Old 09-03-2005, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kept track today on my trip up to Asheville and got 34.2 MPG. This included some in town driving, some mountain freeway driving with the AC on and sitting in essentially stopped traffic for 15+ minutes.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^

Yeah, well, xA's suck.

Just kidding.

If gas prices had been as high last december as they are now I'd have taken a closer look at the xA. xB too... my wife's xB is the car we always take anytime we drive somewhere together. tC just isn't economical enough.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:40 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah yeah yeah hate to take it off topic... gonna anyways

as copied and pasted from http://www.valiant.org/duster.html

The Feather Dusters were made in 1976, with an aluminum inner hood, trunk bracing, bumper brackets, and intake manifold; economy carb and distributor calibration; large exhaust system; tall rear axle ratio; and either 3 speed auto or 4 speed overdrive manual trans.
mind you now this is a 225cid slant 6 engine with a one bbl carb and its all about the gear ratio's

Their gas mileage was great for their day, and even for the present, given their size: 24 city, 36 highway. Few modern cars of that size can claim this. With an automatic, gas mileage slipped considerably, to 22 city/31 highway - still comparable to modern cars. Very few were sold, partly because they had to compete with the new Aspen and Volare, which were in the same price class; and because the tall rear axle ratio took a serious hit on performance.
thats if you drive it like a granny!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member

2 months old 2005 RS2 - stop-n-go Los Angeles surface street traffic (only 4 mile commute) - only 20-21 mpg! Highway is usually +/- 30-35. Why the HUGE difference, and will it get better over time?
Old 09-03-2005, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

the most ive seen on a trip was a trip to louisville where i got 43.7 mpg...now thats me driving like a grandma...but normally ill get about 32-34 mix of town and highway
Old 09-03-2005, 10:55 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how the heck did you get 43.7mpg!!! how fast where you driving 55mph??? slightly over inflated your tires??? clue us in there purdy pls!!!
Old 09-04-2005, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I read once, that if you have a five speed, and go about 35 in fifth, you will get over 60MPG in a average car.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Gloating