Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Got the brow tinted yesterday, need help....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Got the brow tinted yesterday, need help....

So i got the front 2 windows and the brow tinted 20% which looks awesome on the bsp box by the way. So my problem is the top of the windshield by the rear view mirror there are those little black dots that are supposed to block sun from blinding you while looking in the mirror. When i got the car back i noticed that you can see exactly where those dots are almost like the tint isn't touching the glass there. I let it go for a day now but nothings really changed. So has anyone else had the problem, and if so what did you do about? what would you suggest i do to correct it?

also does anyone know if in Pennsylvania i will get crap from either cops or inspection for having the front tinted 20%?

minttoast
Old 03-01-2006, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got my brow tinted and the guy who tinted mine worked on the top of the windshield where those dots are for about 20 minutes trying to get every single bubble out. Needless to say, he didn't get them all out, but it still looks good.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i dont mind the way it looks atleast from like 10 feet away but if you get up close it doesnt look that good.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yep, that is a super-common problem with tint film - it has a really hard time sticking to that junk.

one thing you can do, but you really have to get the jump on it, is to get a hairdryer and heat it up really well. you essentially want to evaporate any of the water underneath the tint, press the tint down, so it has a chance to adhere to the glass. If you don't want to get your grubby fingerprints all over it, you can use a 'broken in' pencil eraser, and heat/poke/hold between all the little spots. It's a pain in the butt, and that's why most tinters blow it off, and just act like it's not there.

I'd pay close attention to the corners, becasue that is where the tint will eventually peel.

**when you use the hairdryer, point it in a manner that does not direct the flow at the edges of the tint, you don't want forced air to lift the tint**
Old 03-01-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

how long after the tint was finished should i attempt that. it was done about 36 hours ago.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

borderline too late, but still may have a chance. how long did he tell you on rolling the windows? might want to just take it back to the tint guy, and have him redo the brow
Old 03-01-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thanks for the help. i took it back today and they said that since i have the matrix dots around my windshield that it would be very very hard to make it stick all the way. he tryed pressing it again but it didnt really change anything. so i guess for now its fine.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

when the corners start curling back, use a little clear fingernail polish to hold it down. You don't really want to get any of the polish on the glass, just the matrix dots, and press the film back down.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya thats pretty much impossible to get it to lay down over those dots. I've never seen it done, thats not saying a whole lot, but still its a ton of work. My tint guy said he could do it but he would charge me more and still wouldn't guarantee that they dont lift in time. I would just get over it and continue one. Pick your battles, and all =)
Old 03-01-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Is there not a way to like...scratch off those circles with a razor blade or something before you get tint? I was gonna get mine done this weekend...
Old 03-02-2006, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can try to but honestly just get a broadway mirror and you wont even see it when you're in the car. Also I'd think you'd end up scratching the ____ out of your window or getting only partway and it will end up looking worse that it would have to just leave them alone.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default got the brow tinted...replying to

We actually do automotive tinting, and I have a 06' Scion xb and have my brow tinted.
The dots are actually Teflon and the tint doesn't like to stick to them..Although mine are fine..U may want to try and take it back to have it pushed down. Alot of times we tell our customers to come back in about a wk, and we will push them down. It happens alot on Corvettes. As far as 20% being legal on the 2 front doors we have a map of the US and the tint laws are on it. I read it and it says u are supposed to have 70% on your front doors, which is like having no tint at all. So I don't believe it is legal, also u may not pass your inspection, that is if up in Pa. they inspect the 2 front doors. here (Texas) they do look at them and if our eyebrow is too wide they don't pass u. Hope this helps

TiffdeLeon28[/b]
Old 03-02-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good ol' Oklahoma...no state inspection here!