Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Hello everyone I'm getting a xB soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Hello everyone I'm getting a xB soon

Hello,
I am getting a Scion xB soon. I have the down payment saved already. I decided on a 1st gen automatic. I can't wait. What do you guys suggest I do to make it preform better. Also one question I have is it is it hard to look at the MPH since it's in the middle.
Thanks for your help,
AJ
PS: is there any newbie section
Old 06-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Getting an auto to perform better power-wise is futile. You can make it handle much better to make it more fun to drive.

And it took me all of about one minute to adjust to the speedo location. It's actually much closer to where you are looking than the standard position of behind the steering wheel.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Hello everyone I'm getting a xB soon

Originally Posted by almaj2007
Hello,I am getting a Scion xB soon. I have the down payment saved already. I decided on a 1st gen automatic.
Good choice! Except the automatic part; the stick is a much better choice for the xB1 (IMO, of course ;^)
What do you guys suggest I do to make it preform better.
Get a SECOND gen automatic! Really, to get anywhere near decent performance from the 1st gen xB, you need a stick.
is it is it hard to look at the MPH since it's in the middle.
Easy-peasy. I got used to it in a week and now I LOVE it!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, seriously, autos are for people who don't know how to drive. get a manual. there are soooooooo many people who regret getting automatic instead of a manual.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Hello everyone I'm getting a xB soon

Originally Posted by pooder
Hello,I am getting a Scion xB soon. I have the down payment saved already. I decided on a 1st gen automatic.
Good choice! Except the automatic part; the stick is a much better choice for the xB1 (IMO, of course ;^)
What do you guys suggest I do to make it preform better.
Get a SECOND gen automatic! Really, to get anywhere near decent performance from the 1st gen xB, you need a stick.
is it is it hard to look at the MPH since it's in the middle.
Easy-peasy. I got used to it in a week and now I LOVE it!
I would love to get a stick but I live in New York on Long Island and the traffic is heavy and my hand would get very tired.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have always had sticks in the past...I am happy with the automatic, a much more laid back drive. The Speedo is in a great spot, you don't have to really take your eyes off the road, you can see it pretty much all the time....
Old 06-19-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you sissy boy! get a manual, sounds like you need the exercise. anyway, your foot gets more tired than your hand ever will.

but if you are seriously pondering performance, get a manual, the autos have double digit 0-60 times, getting a manual will atleast get you under 10.

i have a manual and i live in md/dc area, aka the second worst traffic area in the country. i do just fine.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
you sissy boy! get a manual, sounds like you need the exercise. anyway, your foot gets more tired than your hand ever will.

but if you are seriously pondering performance, get a manual, the autos have double digit 0-60 times, getting a manual will atleast get you under 10.

i have a manual and i live in md/dc area, aka the second worst traffic area in the country. i do just fine.
No thanks. I'll stick with a automatic. I lived in the Dc area and I feel that NY traffic is a lot worse. In any case I will be looking to get one around July. Does anyone know of any dealers in the tri state area with good deals? I may wait and just get a 08' we will see what happens.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBster
The Speedo is in a great spot, you don't have to really take your eyes off the road, you can see it pretty much all the time....

Exactly what I was going to say, its really nice that its in the middle it makes it so much easier to see how fast you are going. Plus you can always tell whats up(door open, low on gas, ETC) because its right in the middle and you'll see it right away. Where as if it was below the steering wheel it'd be only when you looked down.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by DubT
Originally Posted by xBster
The Speedo is in a great spot, you don't have to really take your eyes off the road, you can see it pretty much all the time....

Exactly what I was going to say, its really nice that its in the middle it makes it so much easier to see how fast you are going. Plus you can always tell whats up(door open, low on gas, ETC) because its right in the middle and you'll see it right away. Where as if it was below the steering wheel it'd be only when you looked down.
O ok I thought that it would be harder because it's in the middle. I will be test driving one soon.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm just going to warn you one last time. if you are concerned with performance, you don't want to have anything to do with an automatic. there are many auto box and xa owners who have posted on this site about how they regret not getting a manual. it really isn't that hard to drive a manual transmission scion. the clutch is light and the shifters are pretty smooth. trust me, if you care about performance, your going to really hate having an auto very soon.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm just going to warn you one last time. if you are concerned with performance, you don't want to have anything to do with an automatic. there are many auto box and xa owners who have posted on this site about how they regret not getting a manual. it really isn't that hard to drive a manual transmission scion. the clutch is light and the shifters are pretty smooth. trust me, if you care about performance, your going to really hate having an auto very soon.
I have to agree. We are trading my wife's xB for a totally different car mostly because of the power issue (she has an automatic). Bottom line...you have 3 choices: get a stick xB, get an auto xB and live with low power, or go with a different car (like a gen 2 xB).
Old 06-20-2007, 04:16 PM

Well I'm not doing any racing and seeing as how there is so much stop and go traffic it's not really a issue.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you said you want an xb and want to make it perform better, well, a manual will get your much better performance over an xb because it loses less hp. you will get much better engine response. but if you are trying to make it perform better, the transmission is the best place to start. putting bolt-on's on an automatic won't really get you much of anything with that slushbox losing what little hp you have.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:32 PM

you said you want an xb and want to make it perform better, well, a manual will get your much better performance over an xb because it loses less hp. you will get much better engine response. but if you are trying to make it perform better, the transmission is the best place to start. putting bolt-on's on an automatic won't really get you much of anything with that slushbox losing what little hp you have.
Maybe I should have wrote that different. With preformance I ment how to get better mpg, how to get better use out of the car not how to make it go faster. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have my 2nd ...........1st gen xb it is manual but my first one was automatic and it was buddy. They even charge more for the automatic but I think it should be the other way around. If you don't know how to drive a manual don't worry you will figure it out in a couple of days.............
Old 06-20-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, a manual will also get better mpg than an automatic because you have complete control over the fuel consumption with control over gear and rpm and short shifting. with a manual you can shift proactively which means you can shift in anticipation of what you see down the road. an automatic can only be retroactive which means it can only shift on an as needed basis based on throttle input and speed and so on.

there are no and i repeat NO mods for better fuel economy. as in no chemicals you can put in the tank, no turbonators you can put in your intake or magnets on your fuel line that will get you better gas mileage.

the only think you can do for better fuel mileage is drive like a granny.

with my tc, i put on a light weight crank pully for more power, and noticed that the added power throughout the rpm band lets me upshift earlier so i get better city mpg than i used to.

but for better mpg, the only thing you can do is properly maintain your box, oil/ air filter, don't use cheap gas, proper tire pressure, and drive efficiently.

driving efficnently does not mean driving slow per se. it means drive reasonably, and watch the road ahead of you, why acclerate as fast as possible to get to the next redlight to wait for it to turn green? and so on.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 PM

whatever you do, dont get the 06 model, make sure its 05 and lower.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:27 PM

well, a manual will also get better mpg than an automatic because you have complete control over the fuel consumption with control over gear and rpm and short shifting. with a manual you can shift proactively which means you can shift in anticipation of what you see down the road. an automatic can only be retroactive which means it can only shift on an as needed basis based on throttle input and speed and so on.

there are no and i repeat NO mods for better fuel economy. as in no chemicals you can put in the tank, no turbonators you can put in your intake or magnets on your fuel line that will get you better gas mileage.

the only think you can do for better fuel mileage is drive like a granny.

with my tc, i put on a light weight crank pully for more power, and noticed that the added power throughout the rpm band lets me upshift earlier so i get better city mpg than i used to.
Thanks for your help. I guess I will drive a little slower and just do regular work on the car to make sure everything is in great shape.

but for better mpg, the only thing you can do is properly maintain your box, oil/ air filter, don't use cheap gas, proper tire pressure, and drive efficiently.

driving efficnently does not mean driving slow per se. it means drive reasonably, and watch the road ahead of you, why acclerate as fast as possible to get to the next redlight to wait for it to turn green? and so on.
I will make sure to do all the regular matinance and so on. This car sounds great from the reviews. It is going to be very pratical.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1st. welcome. Hope you get a first gen. What color are you thinking of?

2nd. there is a trick to getting better gas mileage. It has to do with removing the snorkel on the air intake. Use the search feature. people are reporting sick gas mileage.

Lastly, welcome. You have found a place where people are rabid about their cars, where like minded people really discuss things that make the cars better, and where you have friends that appreciate the beauty of something different!