Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Help me convince my wife.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Default Help me convince my wife.

New car time for us this December and I have fallen in LOVE with the XB but the wife thinks it's ugly. She already has a new car (2002 Stratus) and this one will be primarily mine but she will be driving it once in a while.

What can I do? (Besides a divorce or burying her in the middle of the desert. ;))

Any tips?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

not that i'm marride but if she allready has a "new" car you should be able to get whatever new car you want. she should deal with it cuz it's not like she's gonna have to drive it everyday now is it? she doesnt totally detest it does she? i'd say point out the fuel economy and the interior space and if all else fails just explain how u like it and that it shouldnt even be a deal at all to her let alon a "big" deal.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hotbox05
not that i'm marride but if she allready has a "new" car you should be able to get whatever new car you want. she should deal with it cuz it's not like she's gonna have to drive it everyday now is it?
I can tell your not married.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My DH was the same way . He wasn't happy when I had my heart set on my XB. Now that I have it though, he loves it too!! He is 6'4" so that was a big concern for him and he has tons of head and leg room in the XB. Also, he loves the attention we get in the box.

I would let her test drive one. I think she will fall in love with the spaciousness and the cool features that you don't get in other cars with this kind of price!!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member

Default Simple Solution.

Wrap hands securely around said wife's tender throat. Apply the appropriate pressure, wait till all movement ceases. Ta da, you've got your xB and a Stratus.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Just tell her to STFU, then go buy it. When you bring it home and she gripes about how hideous it is say "Ok honey, since it is sooo ugly, I get the garage. That way nobody will know we have such an ugly car." Then head on back to dish wash detail. :?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the_saint
Just tell her to STFU, then go buy it. When you bring it home and she gripes about how hideous it is say "Ok honey, since it is sooo ugly, I get the garage. That way nobody will know we have such an ugly car." Then head on back to dish wash detail. :?
This man is my hero!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member

I much prefer my method of "convincing" the wifey... just choke the _____ out.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My family thought it was ugly at first also. This is the coolest most unique car I've ever had. Just like everyone else is telling you, it is a Toyota, great price, great mileage, etc. I took my family for a test drive...now that I have it...I can't keep my husband out of it. He is also 6'3" and is amazed how roomy it is inside. We all love it. I bet your wife will change her mind if you get one. It grows on you!!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My wife was the same way when I decided I wanted an xB. She was stuck on an xA. I had her sit in both and explained how much more practical the box is. Way more room (at least it appears that way). Since we're planning on kids soon, that went a long way in convincing her. Now three months later, she loves it. It grows on you.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help me convince my wife.

Originally Posted by RobertBasil
New car time for us this December and I have fallen in LOVE with the XB but the wife thinks it's ugly. She already has a new car (2002 Stratus) and this one will be primarily mine but she will be driving it once in a while.

What can I do? (Besides a divorce or burying her in the middle of the desert. ;))

Any tips?
Well - She will fall in love with the HOT LAVA ....... I might be selling mine, if your interested - just click my profile and check the website I created ....

Good Luck !
Old 09-24-2004, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

WTF, steel.. you waited for the box longer than you've owned it.

ANYWAY. *steamed now*..
Anyway, I brought one home and my wife said it was goofy looking, I said, "yeah, but drive it" she did and now we own two . Just have her drive it, if she hasn't. They're too much fun to deny.

Freaking Steel, WTF
Old 09-24-2004, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm lucky then because my wife really likes the xb.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Help me convince my wife.

Originally Posted by RobertBasil
She already has a new car (2002 Stratus)
You were nice enought to let her get a stratus, ask her to return the favor.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

take her down to the store, let her buy all her groceries and then pack them in her car... then swing by and pick up some lumber for her gardening project... pack her car to the brim and then swing by the scion dealer and let her sit in the car...

it sold my girlfriend, it sold my brother and it sold my sister-in-law... it may not be as big as a hummer, but it has the room as if it were next of kin...
Old 09-25-2004, 03:41 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one word, manipulation :D
Old 09-25-2004, 08:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm pretty lucky, my wife loves the xB. And she gets to drive the nB of ours more now, so that makes her happy as well.

However, you got to be married to understand this question.

What you could say, is, 'Hey, you got a new car, I want a new car, and there ain't thing one you is going to do to stop me!'

(Then turn around, duck, and run...)

Old 09-25-2004, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a former married man, I learned a few tricks.... :twisted:

Mis Direction.

Go ape sh*t about buying something ridiculously expensive, Mercedez SUV, log cabin at the lake, home theater surround sound with sweet HDTV Projector. Whatever gets her goat. Get really serious like you are gonna pull rank on it and just do it-no matter what she says and she cannot stop you! (which is crap because you'd never hear the end of it).

Then one day tell her you called it all off and the intelligent, financially responsible, loving hubby thing to do is let her have her way and not buy that craaaazie item. "I can dream can't I baby?" Then sheepishly fall back to what will still make you happy, begrudgingly accept that YOU should settle for the inexpensive and financially responsible xB.

A little puppy dog look and a defeated macho man really yanks them heart strings. She'll love you coming to your senses

Mis Direction babeeeeeyyyyyy. :twisted:
Old 09-25-2004, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Well,

Going to test drive an xB and a tC on Monday. (I'm only test driving the TC so she will go). I figure once I get her inside the xB on the road I'll be good to go.

To be honest, if I really "put my foot down" I can get whatever I want. But for those of you that are married you KNOW life is much easier if your spouse agrees with any new big ticket purchases. ;)
Old 09-26-2004, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hatchback Fiend
just choke the _____ out.

Quick Reply: Help me convince my wife.