Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

HID Install for scion xb

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HID Install for scion xb

Hey guys, my friend just got a new scion xb. I got him some McCulloch 5000k HID'sf for the xb. I tried searching, but i couldn't find anything, mainling because im not familiar with this forums search format, but could someone give me DIY for the install for the HID's. I've installed HID's before, but i am not familiar with the HID set up for the xb, like the best place to mount the ballast and if the bumper needs to be removed.

so if someone could link me to an install guide, it would be much appreciated. thanks!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump!!!! help please
Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, this depends on how you do it. Since it's just a McCulloch HID kit, you can probably mount the ballasts somewhere in the engine bay, like right behind the grill next to your headlights. Then you just wire it up and you're set. The 9003 wiring harness uses a switched ground, so just be careful not to wire it like a switched positive system or you'll probably blow something up.

On the other hand, if you want a stealthier install, my ballasts are mounted underneath the headlights and my wiring runs behind the grill directly to the battery, so you can't tell I have aftermarket HIDs at all.

This is how to take off your bumper:
==============================
There are two bolts in the wheel well... it'll be obvious that you have to have remove the lower one when you look at it. Then on each side of the bumper, there is a little plastic clip that clips the inner liner of the fender to the bumper, you have to unscrew the bolts that are holding those together.

Now, from under the hood, just take out the three plastic clips that hold the grille in. Just pop them with a screwdriver and then pull them out.

After you take out the grille, you'll see two more clips and one bolt holding on the bumper. Take those out...

Now, slowly start at one side of the bumper and "peel" it off the car. The bumper has two little tabs on each side of the car that sort of "lock" into place around the fender. Once you pull it off enough, you'll be able to lay the fender down in front of the car...

And that's how to take out your headlights.