First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

In Home Service, Firedog, To use xBs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default In Home Service, Firedog, To use xBs

Did anyone see the Circut City ad in this weeks circular for their new in home service, Firedog? I know it';s a knockoff on Geeks on Call, but still more free advertising for 'da box.

From wikipedia: In-Home Technicians, as well as Installers, are required to drive a Circuit City company vehicle. firedogSM currently utilizes a Toyota Scion xB for all in-home PC services.

and from a press release: FireDog in-home services will be deployed via a fleet of custom Scion xB’s (a sleek and stylish competitor to the GeekSquad Beetles) at over 600 locations nationwide; availability is imminent.

No word on what they are gonna do when the model changes.

Bill
Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, I like the black and green.
A local computer company uses 3 white ones.

xBs are attention getters!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB is a very practical vehicle for that use, and since an xB even without advertising on the side attracts attention, it really calls attention to the advertising - the 'special colors' don't hurt at all, either. Good move for anyone needing a fleet of small, economical vehicles with a good amount of space and a lot of public visibility. :D

Tomas
Old 10-16-2006, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hahaha. so geek squad at best buy have round, new beetles, and the competition at circuit city will have square xB's.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Firedog"? wtf were they thinking? Nobody's gonna get it.

xB looks cool though!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome! I heard their commercial this morning on the drive in to work and was wondering what the hell kind of company it was.

Originally Posted by camoboXb
hahaha. so geek squad at best buy have round, new beetles, and the competition at circuit city will have square xB's.
That's what I was thinking. That is pretty damn funny.

Originally Posted by kevets
"Firedog"? wtf were they thinking? Nobody's gonna get it.
If the company is successful everybody will know the name and everybody will get it. Look at Kinkos, the first time I heard of Kinkos I thought it was a **** shop...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by salteen
Look at Kinkos, the first time I heard of Kinkos I thought it was a **** shop...
thats funny... maybe cause firefox was already taken
Old 10-16-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zereaux
thats funny... maybe cause firefox was already taken
I did not even think about the Firefox / Firedog thing... you're totally right. Totally taking advantage of the name recognition of Firefox.

http://www.andreaharner.com/archives...py_recipe.html

Thing is... is we're already talking about the name so their 1st job is already done Wonder if Firedog will hire me as a consultant... I already got the xB! ha ha
Old 10-16-2006, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="kevets"]
man that dog is pretty funny. I'm sure People Eating Tastey Animals will have something to say about that if they ever get the chance
Old 10-17-2006, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member

I saw one on the road yesterday! Looks pretty cool!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work for Circuit City and they have used the xB for maybe 6 months now for in home PC installs. They were re-vinyled recently with the firedog crap. It's funny we have been having these Firedog meetings for a loooong time now. Everyone was like "WTF, why firedog, that's such a terrible name choice".. They were all like "We chose this name after a long decison, and we feel that everyone will like it. The fire stands for the spark that is in each and every one of us, and the dog stands for the loyalty that we will show the customer." After they explain it like that... I still hate it!! What a terrible choice..
Old 10-18-2006, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought firedog was like a fireman, only a dog.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member

My take on it is this. Since 'Geek Squad' alludes to police, I'll bet Circuit City was looking for something related to fire/rescue. I think the (crazily) green dog is a stylized dalmation, the traditional mascot of firefighters. I believe this breed was good around the horses that used to pull fire apparatus in the old days.

The dog in the logo also appears to be jumping through a hoop, so the message would seem to be that the technicians speedily respond to a call as if to the scene of a fire and will also 'jump through hoops' for the customer. In other words, the best service possible.

I'm a support person for the local FD, so perhaps I'm biased.

By the way, according to the dictionary, 'firedog' is another name for an andiron, the thing that holds the wood in a fireplace. Wonder if anyone checked, first...
Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The name firedog is a marketing trick. When you think of Burger King, what do they sell? Burgers.
When you hear Tower Records, what do they sell? Records.

When you hear the name Starbucks, if you had never heard of it before, what would you think it was?

Firedog, was not created in responce to best buy, in fact, if you look, on the website www.firedog.com how promenant is the circuit city logo?

Firedog was created not purchased like geek squad and magnolia. and insted of using two companys with two namesto do two different things, they just use one, to do them both. So a firedog contractor can install your home stereo system as well as set up your network.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RH_TuningIsLife
The name firedog is a marketing trick. When you think of Burger King, what do they sell? Burgers.
When you hear Tower Records, what do they sell? Records.

When you hear the name Starbucks, if you had never heard of it before, what would you think it was?

Firedog, was not created in responce to best buy, in fact, if you look, on the website www.firedog.com how promenant is the circuit city logo?

Firedog was created not purchased like geek squad and magnolia. and insted of using two companys with two namesto do two different things, they just use one, to do them both. So a firedog contractor can install your home stereo system as well as set up your network.
Sounds like you went to the meeting Pat..
Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FIREDOG! AROOOOO!!!!
Free T shirt, breakfast and extra meeting pay, I don't mind.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RH_TuningIsLife
FIREDOG! AROOOOO!!!!
Free T shirt, breakfast and extra meeting pay, I don't mind.
Dont forget the pen's and temp. tattoos..

Welcome to the world of services folks.. You cant make money on product anymore..cause you have to drop the prices so low to stay competetive.. so services is where you make money.. Firedog will crush the nerd squad... due to the services they offer... Pay a few dollars and you wont have to spend hours upon hours wiring and hanging tv's and home stereo equipment or setting up your computer or networking .. I think it is a great idea and I hope it all works out well.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brunt1823
I work for Circuit City and they have used the xB for maybe 6 months now for in home PC installs. They were re-vinyled recently with the firedog crap. It's funny we have been having these Firedog meetings for a loooong time now. Everyone was like "WTF, why firedog, that's such a terrible name choice".. They were all like "We chose this name after a long decison, and we feel that everyone will like it. The fire stands for the spark that is in each and every one of us, and the dog stands for the loyalty that we will show the customer." After they explain it like that... I still hate it!! What a terrible choice..
lol they probably didn't even acknowledge Firefox
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Foxkeh
Old 10-19-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Saw a Firedog Xb at the Concord Mills Circuit City this past weekend. At the time I had no idea what they were trying to advertise.

Quick Reply: In Home Service, Firedog, To use xBs