Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How dark to tint my Xb

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member

Default How dark to tint my Xb

I want some opinions on tinting the box. On my current car, I have 5% on the sides and rears and 35% on the whole windshield. It looks great! I am thinking about doing the same to the Xb. I contacted a local tint shop and they said they wouldnt tint my windows that dark because if I was in an accident my insurance would be viod. I have never heard this. I hope its not true because I have been driving around with my windows this dark for 2 years!

I contacted the guy who did my current car and he said the insurance thing is not true at all. I dont know who to believe, I want the dark tint, but I dont want to be sued if I am in an accident.....
Old 06-02-2005, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

35% on the windshield is lame, get 5% all around 35% front windows and something maybe super super light for the windshield
Old 06-02-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5% ?? I have 2% all around except the windshield, its been metered by the police about three times, I live in florida and I have never heard the void of insurance thing, but do what you like best
Old 06-02-2005, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually, yes, the insurance can and will void any coverage if they find that illegal tinting was the contributing factor in a wreck. it falls under the clause of coverage being denied should you have an accident that was the result of, or contributed to because of your breaking the law.

basically comes down to the ins.co. saying "you were breaking that law, what the hell do you want US to do about it?!? If you want protection, try obeying the law next time."

(and by 'breaking the law', I mean by showing a total disregard for it well in advance of the accident... like dark tinting on a windshield. Running a red light is 'illegal', but is usually a momentary lapse in attention - and that they will of course cover.)

Also... if you hurt someone else in the accident.. THEIR insurance company (if they find out who it was) will go after the tint shop in court because they were the applicators.

Everyone says "oh, I'll say 'i did it'" ... riiiight, sure you will, especially when they say they're going to sue YOU since you put it on (your memory suddenly comes back at that point too).

With that said... get what you want. screw it (I no longer care). If you can't find a good qaulity, reputable shop that will do it, find one that's suffering for work and probably has a bad rep., they'll help anyone run over a little girl in the dark (i.e. dark tint a windshield).

Anyhow.. the first tint shop you talked to seems to know more about their business than the 2nd shop. A good rule of thumb is, if you can find a shop that will actually turn away some jobs (MONEY!) for no reason other than principle, almost gauranteed they're producing qaulity stuff.

Not to mention you CALLED THEM, only a total moron tinter would discuss breaking the law on the phone, just agreeing to do it is enough to get the ticket (that is in all 50 states). That's like calling a head shop and asking what do they have that's good to smoke pot with. *click*
Old 06-02-2005, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member

I think I will go with 20% all the way around. How dark is the factory tint in the rear. I want it all to match...

and Windowtint - I dont plan on "running over a little girl in the dark" The only reason I have the windows that dark on my current car is because I only drive it on nice weekends. The car is 3 years old and has 1364 miles. The Xb will be driven about the same amount as this car. I never drive these cars at night, that would be stupid.

The car I drive daily has 35% and it looks a little light.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am pretty happy with the factory tint. keeps it cool in the hot sun even with my kid in the backseat.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member

i think the back is 25%.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all i did was have my front windows MATCHED to the stock tint on the rears and it looks awesome. dark enough to only see a sillohette when looking in and light enough to see out clearly even at night.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by InsideTheBox
i think the back is 25%.
It seems lighter than 25%
Old 06-02-2005, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The back/sides are ~20%. I would just match the front 2 windows and leave it.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by windowtint
actually, yes, the insurance can and will void any coverage if they find that illegal tinting was the contributing factor in a wreck. it falls under the clause of coverage being denied should you have an accident that was the result of, or contributed to because of your breaking the law.

basically comes down to the ins.co. saying "you were breaking that law, what the hell do you want US to do about it?!? If you want protection, try obeying the law next time."

(and by 'breaking the law', I mean by showing a total disregard for it well in advance of the accident... like dark tinting on a windshield. Running a red light is 'illegal', but is usually a momentary lapse in attention - and that they will of course cover.)

Also... if you hurt someone else in the accident.. THEIR insurance company (if they find out who it was) will go after the tint shop in court because they were the applicators.

Everyone says "oh, I'll say 'i did it'" ... riiiight, sure you will, especially when they say they're going to sue YOU since you put it on (your memory suddenly comes back at that point too).

With that said... get what you want. screw it (I no longer care). If you can't find a good qaulity, reputable shop that will do it, find one that's suffering for work and probably has a bad rep., they'll help anyone run over a little girl in the dark (i.e. dark tint a windshield).

Anyhow.. the first tint shop you talked to seems to know more about their business than the 2nd shop. A good rule of thumb is, if you can find a shop that will actually turn away some jobs (MONEY!) for no reason other than principle, almost gauranteed they're producing qaulity stuff.

Not to mention you CALLED THEM, only a total moron tinter would discuss breaking the law on the phone, just agreeing to do it is enough to get the ticket (that is in all 50 states). That's like calling a head shop and asking what do they have that's good to smoke pot with. *click*

good writing. got that point across with a logic hammer. good.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member

I called my insurance company AmFam and they said as long as the car will pass a Missouri State safety inspection, they will cover the car. I called the Missouri Department of Transportation and they said the car will pass the safety inspection as long as the windshield is NOT tinted. He said the other windows are not part of the inspection and that its the police officers job to control illegal tint on the other windows. The law states 35% is the darkest you can tint your side windows in Missouri, but its no longer part of the state inspection as long as its not on the windshield.

NICE............!!!

That means I can limo tint the whole thing and leave the windshield clean and still be covered.