Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How to get the best MPG/Fuel Economy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default How to get the best MPG/Fuel Economy...

Hey everyone,
I've done extensive research on the forums about some of the best solutions to extended my MPG/Fuel Economy...but have come to no conclusion. I've heard alot of ideas (synthetic vs dinojuice, air filters, etc.) but nothing conclusive. I'm not looking to debate so much what works vs what does not work, but rather to list what works so far. Of course, this for Xb.
Thanks!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

First thing I'd do is do some extensive research on THIS forum...

(*there have been LOTS of lonnnng posts on this here in the last two months!)

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

easy on the throttle and unsafely up your psi in your tires.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How to get the best MPG/Fuel Economy...

Originally Posted by Jonas
... I've done extensive research on the forums about some of the best solutions to extended my MPG/Fuel Economy...but have come to no conclusion. ...
In the last year and 12,000 miles, I have done extensive research on extending MPG economy with my 2006 5-speed xB. Before the winter came, the overall average was 35 MPG. During the winter months the average fell to 30 MPG, but is now up to 33 MPG. The conclusion that I reached was... stay off the gas pedal.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How 'bout a list of what is done to your car and we will tell you what can be changed out and improved on and what already good.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My formula that has worked for 42k miles?

32 PSI in tires. Check weekly. Stock wheels, stock sized Yokohama tires.
Mobil 1 5/30 syn oil every 3k with OEM or ND filter.
TRD air filter in stock box.
Shift at 3k around town, 5k if entering freeway.
Cruise at 70-80mph.
If its warm, use AC.

That always gets me at least 33mpg. My average commute is 90% freeway. Some stop and go during rush hour. Sometimes I go faster than 80 on my way home(3am).

YMMV...
Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have some guaranteed ways to improve your mileage.
#1, change yuor tires to really skinny 13"s (12"s if you can find them)
#2 lose weight, by going on a diet and then take out all your unused seats, stereo, speakers, spare tire, etc...
#3 only drive downhill
#4 if you're not going that far, put your car in neutral and push it manually.

if you need anymore, let me know.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:00 AM
SL Member

^lol do exactly what he said and you will be fine!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: How to get the best MPG/Fuel Economy...

Hey everyone,
I've done extensive research on the forums about some of the best solutions to extended my MPG/Fuel Economy...but have come to no conclusion. I've heard alot of ideas (synthetic vs dinojuice, air filters, etc.) but nothing conclusive. I'm not looking to debate so much what works vs what does not work, but rather to list what works so far. Of course, this for Xb.
Thanks!
If you had researched the many topics regarding mpg's you would know for a fact that that are conclusions plenty.

1. tires inflated to over 35 psi
2. free flowing air filter system
3. Mobil 1 oil with Toyota filters every 5K
4. Carry only what you NEED!
5. NGK Irridium plugs- gapped to .044"

These mods are PROVEN to increase MPGs PERIOD!!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

light with the gas pedal, pick routes with the least amount of stop and go traffic, make sure the tires are inflated properly, keep your oil changed regularly. A high flow filter helps too. I average 34-36 mpg consistantly.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 AM
SL Member

I also do one thing that I bet no one on SL does, I only use my big toe when accelerate it works and its a pain 2 get use to.you have to take your right shoe off! Make sure you got clean socks that's the key!!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by seattledave
I have some guaranteed ways to improve your mileage.
#1, change yuor tires to really skinny 13"s (12"s if you can find them)
#2 lose weight, by going on a diet and then take out all your unused seats, stereo, speakers, spare tire, etc...
#3 only drive downhill
#4 if you're not going that far, put your car in neutral and push it manually.

if you need anymore, let me know.
Its been all downhill for me for some time now..........
Old 04-20-2007, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member

Well well...
the amount of smart ___ remarks are remarkable. Besides regular maintenance (tire pressure, regular oil change, etc) I was looking for improved methods. I live in Florida so there is no downhill seattledave, but I'm sure if you feed your bullsh*t to your car you would have a great source of alternative energy!

My Xb is stock 06. Unmodified. The AC always running. Thanks bBtuner and Romanova.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Not to be accused of being another smartass, but really the most effective manner of increasing MPG is to adjust your driving style. I've done the same "research" as you in the last month since buying my box, as I was initially very disappointed in the fuel efficiency my automatic was getting. The easy "tech fixes" are tire inflation and synthetic oil. There's also some debate over whether removing the snorkle from the air box is advantageous. I haven't done that myself, but some guys on here swear by it and profess 400+ miles on a tank, but others say the engine loses some mid range power, seems like it's choking and runs louder. So there's that option, but I can't vouch for either side.

But honestly, just driving the thing in a reasonable fashion is the best bet. Don't over-rev when shifting if you have a manual, keep your cargo weight as light as necessary (don't use your box for storage, that is), and drive 70 MPH. With my 60 mile roundtrip highway commute in the mornings, I've found dropping from my previous bat out of hell 85 MPH down to at or above 70 MPH has put about 20-30 extra miles into each tank.

If you find the holy grail of fuel efficiency, let me know.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks Scazmatic.
I read about the Snorkle as well but I'm debating it. I don't want to mess with the engine performance (at least not at this point)in any way.
My box is Automatic, and on the high way I try to keep at about 70 MPH. I'll even turn off the AC anytime I can in order to save a bit on gas. I'm also going to try the synthetic 5w-20 and see if it improves gas efficiency in any way. I'll def let you know if I come across anything worthwhile mentioning.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well well...
the amount of smart butt remarks are remarkable. Besides regular maintenance (tire pressure, regular oil change, etc) I was looking for improved methods. I live in Florida so there is no downhill seattledave, but I'm sure if you feed your bullsh*t to your car you would have a great source of alternative energy!

My Xb is stock 06. Unmodified. The AC always running. Thanks bBtuner and Romanova.
Not trying to be a di@k, but try using the search feature. The topic has been discussed MANY times before. If all the MPG discussions could take place in a minimal amount of threads, this site would end up being much more efficient.

Heres one to start with
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=166146

And another
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=171002
Old 04-20-2007, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

Maybe I haven't made myself clear.
I understand the "standards" to do list for better fuel economy. Great, wonderful, I've got that.
What I want to know is other methods, conventional or unconventional of how they effectively have been proven to work, and not a debate on "what could work".
HeathenBrewing, I know the topic has been discussed a lot, and thanks for the tips, but I was trying to get to something conclusive and proven, thats all.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...What I want to know is other methods, conventional or unconventional of how they effectively have been proven to work, and not a debate on "what could work"..
Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
Old 04-20-2007, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scazmatic
Not to be accused of being another smartass, but really the most effective manner of increasing MPG is to adjust your driving style. I've done the same "research" as you in the last month since buying my box, as I was initially very disappointed in the fuel efficiency my automatic was getting. The easy "tech fixes" are tire inflation and synthetic oil. There's also some debate over whether removing the snorkle from the air box is advantageous. I haven't done that myself, but some guys on here swear by it and profess 400+ miles on a tank, but others say the engine loses some mid range power, seems like it's choking and runs louder. So there's that option, but I can't vouch for either side.

But honestly, just driving the thing in a reasonable fashion is the best bet. Don't over-rev when shifting if you have a manual, keep your cargo weight as light as necessary (don't use your box for storage, that is), and drive 70 MPH. With my 60 mile roundtrip highway commute in the mornings, I've found dropping from my previous bat out of hell 85 MPH down to at or above 70 MPH has put about 20-30 extra miles into each tank.

If you find the holy grail of fuel efficiency, let me know.
removing the snorkel didnt make my engine choke or anything. A stock engine with no upgrades will not choke by removing the snorkel at all. Only thing removing the snorkel does is help your intake flow a little better and bump up your gas mileage by about 2mpg. At least thats what it did for me, and i imagine all of our engines, unmodified, are the same.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

All the stuff I mentioned is conclusive and proven. What more are you looking for??? Only thing that is left is driving style.

Quick Reply: How to get the best MPG/Fuel Economy...