Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

how many of you bought the extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default how many of you bought the extended warranty?

and if so, which one did you get? would you suggest this to others?
Old 07-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Banned
SL Member

This topic was just recently discussed. I did purchase the extended warrenty because i use my xB as a daily driver for my cleaning business. I have had the car since mid March and already have rung up 4.5K miles. A little bit higher then average, but i still wanted piece of mind for the next 5 years.

I went with the premium plan, along with GAP insurance, all in all cost me $1200 extra.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I got the 7year/100,000 mile warrenty. I drive about 50 miles a day, and go up north alot. Ive had the car a month and have 2k on it.
Plus they wanted to give me less off my trade then they first quoted me. I used this as a barter basically, they give me more off my trade or I dont do the extended warrenty.

I got more off the trade lol, and got the extended.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I got it too. It's nice to have just in case. Foreign car, foreign parts...plus I drive a lot for work, but that may be changing...got a nice job offer from another company...I go in to meet with them tomorrow, wish me luck. The extended warranty only ran me an extra $10/month more, so I said what the hell.

-Z
Old 07-08-2004, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not me and after 7600 miles since feb. I don't think I will be needing it as my car runs like a champ
Old 07-08-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I got the extended 7 year/100,000 mile warranty too along with the GAP and Lo/Jack...It seemed like a lot at first, but I'm glad I got all of it because I know I'm going to keep my box for a long time...I fell in love with it after the first three days I had it

I highly recommend the warranties if you plan on keeping the car for any extended period of time

HAPPY DRIVING!!!

DAN
Old 07-08-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Warranty decision maker

By rolling your warranty into your car note, you basically end up paying $1,700 or 11.3%of the value of the vehicle for the warranty and it excludes most of the items that rutinely break in several years such as the timing belt etc. So you will still have to pay out of pocket on many items that break.
If you pay cash for the warranty and if you consider the opportunity cost that you would have invested the $1,200 bucks and earned 10%/year, then you are in essence paying $2,300 for the warranty after the 7 years are up.
If you decline the warranty and invest the 1,200 at 10% then you will have $2,300 to spend on repairs in 7 years before reaching the breakeven point of the warranty plan.

So if you think the total of WARRANTY COVERED parts will cost less than $2,000 from years 3 to 7 or you will not own the vehicle from years 3 to 7, then you probably should not buy the warranty unless you're very very risk adverse and it stresses you out to drive a vehicle without a warranty.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have put over 7K on my xB since I got it 2 months ago. The 7 year/100,000 mile warranty and GAP insurance was a necessity.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was offered the 7 yr plan for $625 but I declined it.

I refuse to let the dealer make 1 more cent off of me than is absolutely necessary... Just out of principle

Actually it's because parts generally break either in the first 2 months, or after 120,000 miles. Very seldom do any major item fail in between. (we're talking mass produced japanese cars here. VW's are a different story)
Old 07-08-2004, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did but then had it refunded. I have had my car since March and have 12k on it. Runs fine. I'd imagine that after the turbo or supercharger gets put on its going to be hard to get any warranty service anyways.

maybe I will regret it later... but I live in the now
Old 07-09-2004, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I made it for two year with a Ford Focus with no warranty- I think i can manage to drive two years with out a warranty on my Toyota- The extended warranty only adds two years. I have the next five as is- why spent the 1200 bucks on something 9 times out of ten you wont need!! Unless the engine or tranny compleatly blows up, anything you repalce in 7 years wont add up to 1200... My ex GF bought a extended warranty- In 4 years used it once on a $200 power steering pump. Can we say 1K down the drain!!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned
SL Member

To those of us who "if it wasnt for bad luck, i would have no luck at all ... " it only makes sense to have the extended warrenty. My xB will be paid for in less then 5 years, but the warrenty will go for another 2 after that. And the warrenty covers everything, unlike the warrenty on my Neon, which is starting to fall apart. And you guessed it, the warrenty is up in a couple of months.

For you guys who say that the car will either break early in ownership, or later ... tell that to the few here that have had the engine sieze already, for no apparent reason. For the little extra, ill take my piece of mind thank you. And unlike the mods that the dealer can install and have financed ( the 19" TRDs for as much as $2400 ) the extended warrenty wont wear out.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't beleive in them. Never had one yet. I will take the money and put it in the bank. The chances are low that you will come out ahead with these. Dealers make money on selling these, the insurance company takes their cut and the rest should cover the costs of repair. Not many times have I had major problems in this time frame.

Hope I have the same luck now
Old 07-09-2004, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

It's a toyota... It will run forever...

I passed on it
Old 07-09-2004, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member

You can always get a third-party warranty for less. And that whole "7 Year/100K" is such a sham since it only gets placed on top of your existing warranty.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
For you guys who say that the car will either break early in ownership, or later ... tell that to the few here that have had the engine sieze already, for no apparent reason.
eh... here is the exact quote from the dude who 'blew up his engine':

"oh, i have like 4900 miles on the car and i've had it for about a month and a half" - see, it falls under the infant mortality category.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I got the 6 year/100,000 mile because I drive over 100 miles per day. I've had it for two months, and have about 8,000 on it. Right now it drives fabulously, but I want it to last until my payments are up, and I don't want to have to worry about paying for a car that isn't worth fixing. I figure I'll move soon and put lots less miles on it, but for now, I am not stressing about getting too close to the end of the warranty, and for less than $1,000 I think it is worth the piece of mind. We all have house insurance, but how many of us have had to actually use it? It's worth having just to keep the stress level down!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I also purchase an extended warranty 7/100K. But I'm thinking I don't need it even if i drive my car more than 50 miles a day. It all depends when u plan keeping the car. I might get another car when they SCION release a newer model. My TC will only be sold for 3-4 yrs I guess then they'll come out with another upgraded version of it.

But to think that this car was just new in US market, ul have a better piece of mind in case something goes wrong with it. Nothing is perfect in this world not even a TOYOTA made automobile. So I'll just cross my fingers and keep my faith with TOYOTA/SCION.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Jay
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My other car is an RX7 , it came with factory options like jack stands...i dont want to deal with that on this car, as its a driver. Im willing to pay the extra money for hte peace of mind of not worring bout anything..
Old 07-28-2004, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yup that's what I said. But in this case, this is a TOYOTA made car. As we all know, they're one of the best or I should say the best currently in car manufacturing. I haven't seen cars getting recalled nor always in the shop on any toyota branded auto. Maybe if the owner doesn't take care of it properly I bet it'll be in everyday. My aunt's 91' Camry which the body is rusting but the engine still works like beast. I have a 92' volvo 940 GL which up to this date, more than 200K and runs great. Except for some other things that's needed to be replace as of know car looks great. Even the body looks perfect. European car body are made to last I guess compared to Japanese cars.

Most people say that purchasing an extended warranty is not reaslly a good thing to have coz' most of the time, especially if u have parts modified, they'll not cover it. So pretty much ur stuck on what the dealer had the car when u bought it. So if you're planning to modify u car, guess u stick with the factory warranty.

Quick Reply: how many of you bought the extended warranty?