First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

I'm in quite the pickle.. (she's gone.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default I'm in quite the pickle.. (she's gone.)

Hey guys,

I was in a wreck (05.05.06). I was hit from behind by a lady on her cell phone at around 50 mph. I will try to get pictures up, surprisingly, it didn't look to bad; but boy was I wrong. I took it back to my dealer and they gave me an estimate of $4,000. And about every week since then, I've been getting calls about "hidden damage" they've found. Now the bill is around 9k. I'm not too sure what it takes for a car to be "totaled" in Arkansas, but no one has mentioned it thus far.

Most of that bill went to rebuilding the frame.. I went to take a look at the car last Thursday, and I can tell that things are a slight bit off. Like the gaps between my rear doors, bumper, and tail lights. I was also told later today, that when they put my new rear drums on it killed the ABS, and they are having a hard time fixing it.

My question is, should I trade the car back in for a new xB when I get it? I have a friend who has a bad story about a car they had; that was rear ended hard. Long story short, the car was never the same, and required lengthy and costly repairs about two times a year. Each accompanied with a huge insurance fight. I've never been through frame repair, but is it reliable? Or did my friend just have a bad mechanic..

Feedback appreciated
[nathan]
Old 07-09-2006, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

demand that whatever insurance is paying for it to total the car and get a new box

with all the damage that the unibody took it could have weakend vital junctures.....

worked for a friend of mine

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...okenbox005.jpg
Old 07-09-2006, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not sure they would total the car for 9K damage. That being the case--you might in fact want to trade it in when you get it back. You might never feel right about it after you get it back. If you are going to keep the car, you will want to get an iron clad guarantee on the work.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member

Frame damage is almost usually an instant total, not to mention the airbag as well, though being rear ended, i don't know if that went off.

If the car is totalled, be prepared to start payments on a new car...and accept that they may possibly be higher.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

they usually never total it once they start working on it...they just suplement until they fix everything
Old 07-09-2006, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll loe a bunch on trade too. carfax and all
Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was totaled the repairs went to a little over $10,000 heres the pics
that mettal thing is the headlight ring from a 65 chevy pickup
Old 07-09-2006, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/bigdfor15/brokenbox005.jpg
That looks like my car in a way. Do you know how fast that car was hit? I was git square in the back, and it damaged both sides.
Originally Posted by OldYeller
Not sure they would total the car for 9K damage. That being the case--you might in fact want to trade it in when you get it back. You might never feel right about it after you get it back. If you are going to keep the car, you will want to get an iron clad guarantee on the work.
I herd from someone that, in Arkansas, if your car is damaged beyond 70% of the KBB value, then the car is totaled. But I'm still trying to find that in writing..
Originally Posted by shortofdaybreak
Frame damage is almost usually an instant total, not to mention the airbag as well, though being rear ended, i don't know if that went off. If the car is totalled, be prepared to start payments on a new car...and accept that they may possibly be higher
I've been calculating and I've been paying on that car for about two years so I'm praying that I'll break even. If not, ha, i guess its just what it is.
Originally Posted by Sciond
they usually never total it once they start working on it...they just suplement until they fix everything
What do you mean by supplement? I'm not positive that the car is totaled, but if it is, it was due to the fact that they didn't do a through estimate from the start. They didn't even but it on a lift before they started working.
Originally Posted by telemike
you'll loe a bunch on trade too. carfax and all
Yeah.. Just how much is the question.

Thanks, I'll keep you updated.
[nathan]
P.S. Is it strange that my rear brake set came from Canada?
Old 07-09-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i would contact an attorney just to see what ur options r. i dont usually like to use one but they r knowledgable in this area. if the car IS totalled, then demand a new one. some body shops r great but if this shop keeps finding things then they r not a quality shop. they should have found this stuff from the start. rebuilt cars r not bad cars but the fact that there is that much damage leads me to believe that even if u do want to trade it, it will be tagged due to the amount of damage and that will kill ur resale value even if it was a good rebuild. seriously consider sueing for a new one if ur ( or theirs)insurance wont get u one.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by badbasic
i would contact an attorney just to see what ur options r. i dont usually like to use one but they r knowledgable in this area. if the car IS totalled, then demand a new one. some body shops r great but if this shop keeps finding things then they r not a quality shop. they should have found this stuff from the start. rebuilt cars r not bad cars but the fact that there is that much damage leads me to believe that even if u do want to trade it, it will be tagged due to the amount of damage and that will kill ur resale value even if it was a good rebuild. seriously consider sueing for a new one if ur ( or theirs)insurance wont get u one.
Exactly right. You shouldn't get stuck with a repaired vehicle because they didn't get the estimate right. Sounds like they lowballed the estimate so they would get the job and knew they would be able to add stuff later as the repair progressed. Maybe Scam???
Old 07-09-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

he got hit at 35-40... buy a dodge pickup
Old 07-09-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I'm in quite the pickle..

Originally Posted by Nathant888
I took it back to my dealer
If the dealer is doing the work, I would think they would be obligated to give you book+ value for it as a trade-in. After all, they are putting it back into defacto "perfect" condition, and can hardly claim it's worth less because it's been in an accident.

Personally, I would do everything in my power to get rid of the car. You'll never be able to trust it again, and if you don't trade it now (or get the insurance company to write it off) you'll be permanently stuck with it. Its trade-in/resale value will drop through the floor the minute you take possession of it.

RichC
Old 07-09-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

in cali it's just gotta be over half the value in damage to be totaled. normally up to the insurance carrier though.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by badbasic
i would contact an attorney just to see what ur options r. i dont usually like to use one but they r knowledgable in this area. if the car IS totalled, then demand a new one. some body shops r great but if this shop keeps finding things then they r not a quality shop. they should have found this stuff from the start...
I'm calling one tomorrow morning.. I don't like them either (even tho I'm studying to be one, go figure). I have a box full of firms offering to make a case for me.
Originally Posted by jethro_b
...Sounds like they lowballed the estimate so they would get the job and knew they would be able to add stuff later as the repair progressed. Maybe Scam???
As dumb as it sounds, that just dawned on me... They were rather quick to get started on it. And I've had to check on my car almost everyday to see how things were going.
Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
he got hit at 35-40... buy a dodge pickup
Ouch, I was hit by an Accord.. Did it break the rear window?
Originally Posted by rdclark
If the dealer is doing the work, I would think they would be obligated to give you book+ value for it as a trade-in. After all, they are putting it back into defacto "perfect" condition, and can hardly claim it's worth less because it's been in an accident.
lol, good point. I bought it at Landers, and right now it is in the Landers Collision Centre. I'll be sure to mention that tomorrow.
Originally Posted by hotbox05
in cali it's just gotta be over half the value in damage to be totaled. normally up to the insurance carrier though.
Ic, I was hoping someone would contact me if the car was totaled, but I'm not sure how that works either.

Here is a picture

The other side is just about the same. Thats the only shot i have. My temper got the best of me, and my mind went blank. It was a three car accident, and I was pushed into an Explorer, and the driver is 9 months pregnant. The lady responsible didn't bother to check on either of us, courtesy at its best.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trade it in asap....well first, kick whoever it was who did that to your box. a car hit that hard and that close to being totaled will NEVER be thesame. you will constantly be back to the shop to get it fixed ajusted and what not. its not worth your time or money.

sorry to hear that though, at least you'll get a brand new one for only a little bit of cash..heh
Old 07-10-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You should be able to trade it in before it's even repaired. Then let them deal with all the BS later after you have your new one. My dad did that with a Goldwing. They used the wrecked on to make a Trike. LOL
Old 07-10-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ayup, California total is 50%. Arizona about the same. I've been in 3 head-on collisions. Fortunately in ach case the other driver was insured.

Contact an attorney, don't get the car repaired (unless they replace the body and put all the parts back on!)
Old 07-10-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMHO
It is time to find yerself an israiley woman lawyer with pms and a mac-10 in her purse
1) new box
2)loss of use of old box
3)mental anguish
4)physical pain and suffering
5)lack of nookie due to no "chick magnet wheels"

Old 07-10-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

That would be my mother Subtract the Israeli and add some African

6.) MPG difference (Taurus vs xB)

I needed that
Old 07-10-2006, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Nathant888
That would be my mother Subtract the Israeli and add some African

6.) MPG difference (Taurus vs xB)

I needed that

Glad you can laugh---Ya, Mother's can be that way..............

Quick Reply: I'm in quite the pickle.. (she's gone.)