Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Insurance Prices on the XB

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member

Default Insurance Prices on the XB

Hey all,

I'm trying to get everything together so I can finally go in and get my xB. I called my insurance company today (Erie Insurance ) for a quote on adding the car to my account. I'm listed with my family account which includes 3 cars now. Additionally I'm 21 years old. This will be my daily driver. 3.8 GPA Student, etc. So I pay 2119/yr for my Grand Am now and the price to add the xB is an additional 2028/yr. What kind of prices are others paying for insurance in their area. Keep in mind these things:

1. I'm 21 so they're going to gouge me.
2. I'm male (so sexist that men are charged more)
3. 1 speeding ticket 4 years ago and no accidents.
4. Good Student (Erie doesn't give a crap about that though, I know other companies give discounts).
5. 4 Cars total = multi car discount.

So why the hell is the insurance so expensive?? This blows. There's no way I can afford 500/mo for the xB alone plus my insurance on the Grand am... now I'm depressed.

Terror
Old 08-22-2005, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member

My insurance company gave me a quote for $390 for 6 months. Only $65 a month. I'm a male too, but I'm 28 so that brings the price down a little. Once you turn 25 the price drops in half.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member

thats what everyone keeps saying... even so, double 390 you get 780 x2 (for a year) your still only at 1560.. I think my company just blows.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that price is high. If I could prove that I had, had 6 months of constant insurance coverage. The price for a xB for me would have been right around <$800/6mo. So your company is just bending you over with out any lube Also Im 21, no accidents, nothing. So your 1 speeding ticket might cause some spike, but I dont see it making the coverage twice as high.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

do you guys think its worth switching... i mean if i leave from my parents plan its going to kill me anyway to be 21 (loosing the multicar discount). What company do you go through chucksu? maybe i can convince my whole family to switch for me to make it cheaper...
Old 08-22-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Mine will be about $45 a month. Multi Car discount, plus home insurance. It's State Farm.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I said thats if I could prove I had 6mo of constant insurance. That quote was from nation wide. It was going to be something like $130 a month with a good amount of coverage. It was going to be on a 06 even. For the fact that I have not had 6mo of constant insurance (did not own a car for the past 9 months) Im going with USAA @ $1,450 every 6mo. Once my 6mo mark is up, the coverage should drop a good deal.

You might be able to get a fast quote from nation wide. www.nationwide.com

EDIT:
Also, you can change companies & not worry to much. As long as you have been on someones policy for >6 months, your gold. This is the big thing most companies look for. All they will need to know is your partents current policey number.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djflatcracker
Mine will be about $45 a month. Multi Car discount, plus home insurance. It's State Farm.
Yeah but you also have at least 15 years more driving under your belt
Old 08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

Check Progressive. They'll give you an online quote...
I pay about 68 bucks a month with them. They've been great for me for about 6 years now.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Insurance Prices on the XB

Originally Posted by blackterror
Hey all,

I'm trying to get everything together so I can finally go in and get my xB. I called my insurance company today (Erie Insurance ) for a quote on adding the car to my account. I'm listed with my family account which includes 3 cars now. Additionally I'm 21 years old. This will be my daily driver. 3.8 GPA Student, etc. So I pay 2119/yr for my Grand Am now and the price to add the xB is an additional 2028/yr. What kind of prices are others paying for insurance in their area. Keep in mind these things:

1. I'm 21 so they're going to gouge me.
2. I'm male (so sexist that men are charged more)
3. 1 speeding ticket 4 years ago and no accidents.
4. Good Student (Erie doesn't give a crap about that though, I know other companies give discounts).
5. 4 Cars total = multi car discount.

So why the hell is the insurance so expensive?? This blows. There's no way I can afford 500/mo for the xB alone plus my insurance on the Grand am... now I'm depressed.

Terror
Glad to see you're being realistic about the insurance issues, but the price seems high.

Q. Is the Grand Am staying on your parents' policy? If so, they might be adding a vehicle for $2,028, rather than jacking your rate to $4,100+ annually (which is robbery).

I found that insuring a 2005 xB was less expensive than my current car ('03 PT Cruiser). My insurance was with USAA, though I recently switched to Travelers, because they offered a combined homeowners/auto policy that beat the pants off USAA's rates (cut my insurance by ~50% for homeowner's/auto). Their auto coverage was comparable to USAA's, which has traditionally been the best price-wise.

I went on my own with auto insurance, etc. when I got married (24) and the coverage wasn't any more expensive than when I was on my parent's policy, and I kept the same coverages. Multiple policy discount only really works if each person is paying his own coverage; I can see that it might affect you going from multiple to single, but it shouldn't be too much more, and definitely lower than what you were quoted.

If you qualify for USAA, go for it, and get a quote. If you don't but have a Traveler's office nearby, check out a policy of your own. Others' driving records in your family can affect your rate since you're tied in with that policy.

Also, tickets and accidents are supposed to come off your driving record for insurance purposes after three years.

Best of luck to you!

Rob
Old 08-22-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are my stats:

25/m
Los Angeles, CA
No tickets
No accidents

2006 Scion xB automatic

$418/6 mos.
$250 deductible
Old 08-22-2005, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

thanks for everyone's input on this.. it just blows that its so high because of my sex and age and not more based on my driving. To give a more specific example my sister is 23, has 6 speeding tickets 4 accidents 2 instances of mandatory driver improvement classes, almost suspended license and she pays half of what I pay... how is that fair? I call it discrimination. I've checked into going into my own policy and it wasnt worth it. Nationwide and Progressive both quoted me some huge number like 1890/every six months to go alone at 21. They flat out told me not switch unless my parents are coming too. I don't know what to do. With my Grand Am being my show car maybe I can lower it to collision instead of full coverage to help out.. I don't think they would cover all that I've replaced anyways.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by blackterror
thanks for everyone's input on this.. it just blows that its so high because of my sex and age and not more based on my driving. To give a more specific example my sister is 23, has 6 speeding tickets 4 accidents 2 instances of mandatory driver improvement classes, almost suspended license and she pays half of what I pay... how is that fair? I call it discrimination. I've checked into going into my own policy and it wasnt worth it. Nationwide and Progressive both quoted me some huge number like 1890/every six months to go alone at 21. They flat out told me not switch unless my parents are coming too. I don't know what to do. With my Grand Am being my show car maybe I can lower it to collision instead of full coverage to help out.. I don't think they would cover all that I've replaced anyways.
I know. I've always thought that women drive like maniacs. But, hey, what are you gonna do?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member

My insurance went up $7 a month from my Saturn. So now I am up to $63.

27/m
1 speeding ticket in 4 yrs
Old 08-23-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

28/f
1 accident my fault

Full coverage including GAP

250 Deduct.

70 a month with multi car discount

State Farm is the one of the cheapest because they consider it a van and not a suv.

BUT they do check your credit score and I think that can play a part in your quote.

The prior company I had GMAC wanted 200 more every 6mo and we had been with them for YEARS.

Soooooo we switched!