Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Just got a XB and wondering.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default Just got a XB and wondering.....

Hello, everybody out there in Scion Land I just picked up a black cherry xb and so for I'm digging it Super Hard! Just wanted to know how much impact the strut bar and larger rims/tires have on handling and ride. Also does any one have an idea if there is a way to extend the track on the seats?I'm 6"5 and looking for a litle bit more backtrack on the seat......I appreciate all the help you folks can pass down to me!
Old 05-09-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not really sure about what your asking but if you break it up and use the red search button it should help im not being an ___ or scarcastic im just saying :-) congrats on your ride~
Old 05-09-2005, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The front strut bar is one of the best bang for buck suspension modifications you can do. You should feel the difference.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Janus
The front strut bar is one of the best bang for buck suspension modifications you can do. You should feel the difference.
It doesn't make that much of a difference.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DarkBoxJr
Originally Posted by Janus
It doesn't make that much of a difference.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The strut tower brace will have no/minimal effect on handling. Why? Some of you may ask. The strut towers are part of the firewall. If the strut towers are flexing that bad, so is the firewall. Sure it looks good to have, but go with springs or coilovers and the Progress rear bar if you want your xB to handle better.

The Progress rear bar is "the best bang for the buck", IMHO.

But then again, I'm no expert, I just spent alot of money on useless mods.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Also, the "Search" button is somewhat useless as the threads that are important seem to get deleted within a months time or so.

I posted info when this site first came online, and it isn't anywhere to be found now.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Squirrel (and everyone else who worries about finding things in the future using search) - In another forum I used to frequent that had a very limited search function, I used to purposely put something unique (in my case a "T" plus a 4 digit number) in any of my posts I wanted to be certain I could get back to, and I kept that number in an informal list on my machine.

That way I could just search for that number and have a pretty good chance of only getting that particular post back. It was ugly, and a couple extra steps to do, but it worked.

I just tried to find something I posted here the other day and ended up having to go through the 'show all posts by this user' routine. Couldn't come up with anything unique enough in my original post (or the thread) to find it. (Trying to find a local company that had posted here that I wanted to buy from - thing is I couldn't remember their name.)

ORIGINAL QUESTIONS: I don't know about suspension bits, but, everything else being equal...

Bigger wheel + lower profile tire = better handling + harsher ride.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or you could just post and ask a question, which makes sense since that is the reason SL exist. A lot of information gets outdated anyway. Why would I want to search for something posted months ago and has 100 replies that are full of flames?

Also, there are new members signing up on SL all the time who may be more knowledgable and may have some excellent answers that were not previously posted to much older post.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, Captain, sometimes I want to find what *I* posted earlier so I won't have to re-type the whole darn thing to give an answer to one of those n00bies... :D

(And 'sides, I'm a relative n00bie, too. Sometimes I WANT to see those earlier threads with a hundred responses so I can follow the logic and learn something about how a conclusion was reached. A good search function is invaluable to a 'working' site like this.)

Too bad everyone doesn't have something of value to post...
Old 05-10-2005, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The strut tower bar will make a noticeable difference when zipping around the twisties. I was skeptical at first until I got it. There's a noticeale difference in how rigid the front end feels.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default rigid

Is it rigid like on unforgivable rails? Excess bumping???? Can we get a bit more descriptive here. At what speeds does a anti sway anything really make a difference? I would anti up if I could hear a bit of before and after top corning #'s.

N Y C X B O X
Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

All I can offer is that when I zip around the twisties out here in the woods at 50-60 mph the front end does not flex a bit. If I hit a bump with one side of the car the whole fron seems to absorb the impact. There's no flexing in the body. The ride got a litlle bouncier too.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default speed

Is that 50-60 up from 40-50 or 45-55? What is the speed spread?