Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

MAINT REQD Light is On after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default MAINT REQD Light is On after oil change?

So my MAINT REQD light has been on for the last 1000 miles or so. I think when I got my last oil change (at an EZ Lube) the ECU didnt recognize the change or something. What can I do to turn it off? Is there a reason why this is the first time between changes that this has happened? What needs to happen to reset it?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

The ECU doesn't know when you change your oil. The light has to be turned off manually. Do a search the info is here.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its easy to reset you just have to put you key in the ignition but dont turn it on, then press the mileage stick on your speedo and hold it and then turn the key to the ON position while holding it and eventually it will reset
Old 09-07-2011, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
The ECU doesn't know when you change your oil. The light has to be turned off manually. Do a search the info is here.
Thats interesting, I guess the guys at EZ Lube always reset it after every oil change except for this last one. I have never reset it since my ownership.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work at a Chrysler dealership and this is on of the single most important things to do on an oil change. Without it, people think we didn't actually do the work.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ToddMS
I work at a Chrysler dealership and this is on of the single most important things to do on an oil change. Without it, people think we didn't actually do the work.
yup, and thats exactly what i thought when i saw it pop on.

oh and guess what, apparently my previous oil change place stole my air cabin filter. that cost me $50 today when i had to get a new one and change. unbelievable.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not just do the oil changes yourself? Its easy to do and easy to reset that light, if you cant do that I doubt you did that list of mods in your signature by yourself
Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ajcadoo
oh and guess what, apparently my previous oil change place stole my air cabin filter. that cost me $50 today when i had to get a new one and change. unbelievable.
Cabin filters were never installed by the factory even though there is a place for it, so likely you didn't have it. With a very little research you could have found out how to make your own for about $10 or just bought a new filter and had it installed yourself. Having someone else do the job for you will always cost more $$.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by c500129
why not just do the oil changes yourself? Its easy to do and easy to reset that light, if you cant do that I doubt you did that list of mods in your signature by yourself
$20 to have someone else do it is well worth the money. maybe in the future i will learn how to do it, who knows. haha well all those mods were installed by me except the exhaust and headers. i didnt have the right tools for those. otherwise, Google and me got the job done on everything else.

oh and the wheels as well. i didnt install those.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Reactor
Cabin filters were never installed by the factory even though there is a place for it, so likely you didn't have it. With a very little research you could have found out how to make your own for about $10 or just bought a new filter and had it installed yourself. Having someone else do the job for you will always cost more $$.
hmm interesting. well i have one now and they cant throw a fit next time im there. :D
Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$20 to have someone else do it is well worth the money. maybe in the future i will learn how to do it, who knows. haha well all those mods were installed by me except the exhaust and headers. i didnt have the right tools for those. otherwise, Google and me got the job done on everything else.

oh and the wheels as well. i didnt install those.
Most oil change shops have a tendency to totally screw something up. I had several put the wrong oil. They've put in 10w40 despite what I asked for and what the vehicle says. They'll tell me it's better for the car. I've had them use regular instead of synthetic when I paid for it. And every one of them seem to lose the little washer that goes on the oil drain plug. And if you watch them, most of the time they do not even bother to put any oil in the filter before installing it.

In short, most oil changes I've trusted with others were done improperly.

In fact, the only place that I can trust is the Stealership. Everyone else screws up. Paid a certain well known tire place to do my rear brakes, and a month later they are already screwed up big time.

For those reasons, I strongly suggest most people learn to do what they can and save hundreds of dollars and headaches.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member

guys check if you know what it is this ? I hit a curve or a sidewalk by the drive side at the parking lot and I stopped and turned off the car and later when I turn the car on the maint light stay on for a while and later it turned off..what does it mean ........the car has 38000 miles on it and the next change is at 40 000 miles .....2006 scion xa
Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The MAINT light only has to do with oil change intervals. You're car thinks its time for a change. It will blink for 12 seconds every time you start your car.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member

The MAINT light only has to do with oil change intervals. You're car thinks its time for a change. It will blink for 12 seconds every time you start your car.

the guy who sold me the car said that he used synt oil ,what oil # needs ,it has 39000
Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pop your Hood and look at your oil cap.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reset the light after ur next oil change it's pretty simple
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member