First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Manual or Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 02:57 PM
3xv
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Manual or Auto?

Just curious how many automatic transmission buyers compared to manual. What are the pro's and cons of either based from your experience with the Xa? :D
Old 05-30-2004, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Manual or Auto?

<<Just curious how many automatic transmission buyers compared to manual. What are the pro's and cons of either based from your experience with the Xa?>>

This topic always comes up in car forums (an there is always disagreement), but I too am interested in hearing from folks who have specifically tried both xA transmissions. My local Toyota dealer just got the Scions but is not allowed to let people test drive them until mid-June. I want to place an order now but am torn over which trans to get.

I drove Toyota sticks for 20 years before getting my auto Subaru. Now I am dumping the Subie and returning to Toyota/Scion. I’ve gotten used to the convenience of the auto, but I am moving to the Rocky Mountains (winding roads, paved and unpaved) and am thinking the stick might be the way to go on my new xA.

Any opinions? Is one trans more reliable than the other? I have seen threads where people have mentioned some slipping in the xB autos.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:56 AM
3xv
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've test driven the Xa Auto, and found it surprisingly responsive. I then ordered a manual Xa the day after (will be available in 2 weeks time), but was just curious how others find the manual trannied Xa compared to the auto's.

Anyone??? :?: :?: :?:
Old 05-31-2004, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Well, you can double clutch down a gear to gain speed. The only think you can do in an automatic is press on the gas... It might downshift, but it won't be as fast as you doing it yourself.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those winding downhill roads... In a manual, you can hold it in 3rd gear for example and you'll go down the "mountain" in control. Where-as on an automatic, you'd have to ride your brakes to control your speed.

That's one positive for your Rocky Mountains. :D
Old 06-02-2004, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For windy mountain roads, go with manual. It's helluva more fun. However, since I will be crawling through the sludge known as LA rush hour traffic, I opted for an automatic.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I test drove both before I bought my Xb and decided ultimately upon the Auto. My previous car was a manual with a 3.0 V6 that hauled a$$ pretty well, and after driving that, when I test drove the manual Xb, it just felt weak. I've driven the auto for over 7K miles now and have never experienced any slippage. On the other hand, I have read a number of posts from people saying their Manuals are tough to shift into certain gears. I'm also thankful for my auto every time I get stuck in stop and go traffic (every other day around DC) so you may want to take that into consideration. There have been a couple of times I missed driving stick, but all in all I'm happy with my auto.

-Sam
Old 06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Default Manual

I just bought Mine in Manual... which was a pain to find but i found it after going to 3 different toyota dealers I must say i have no complaints about it. I shift with ease. Reverse gives me alil bit of trouble but ive had problems finding reverse since i started to drive stick. Im abit biased but i would definatly say go with the manual if your gunna find yourself in winding roads since you will find yourself not having to use the brake as much.

~Rene
Old 06-03-2004, 02:39 AM
3xv
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info. guys. If anyone has more to add, kindly do so. Drive safe :D
Old 06-03-2004, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member

the xA would seem more fun with a manual because its one of those cars that you want to throw around for fun
Old 06-03-2004, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too thank you all for the feedback so far. I just found out that my local dealer has bumped the Scion release date up to today. So I will be there this evening or tomorrow to drive the xA for the first time. The dealer has both manual and auto versions, so I will report back to the forum after my drive. Stay tuned.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would prefer a 5 speed just for the fun factor but I am very happy with my auto. I drive it very hard, it down shifts faster than a manual when you put your foot into it. I think the auto actually works the engine harder than a 5 speed would. My engine sees redline almost every time I drive it. 11,000 mi and no problems at all.

I would like to see a "sport" setting on the auto and sent that suggestion to Scion. Maybe in the future??

It is very tossable in the corners, I think it's actually easier to drive the auto version quickly through the corners than the stick, you only have to concentrate on steering and braking, leaving the shifting to the ECU to worry about. If anyone would like to come out and try to keep up with me in the local hills and corners in their 5 speed they are welcome to try.

Don't worry about the brakes, just replace your pads with a set to Proterfield R4S carbon kevlar pads and you will have race car like braking with less dust than stock pads.
ken
Old 06-03-2004, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've had a manual xA for about 3 months. No problem. But if you are into economy and high mileage, you should do a comparision between auto and manual at 70 mph. Mine reads 3500 rpm at 70 mph. If the auto reads significantly less rpms at 70, it might actually get better highway mileage. Someone with an xB posted on this difference after test driving both.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default Manual

I`ve always driven stick, so I am a little biased when it comes down to the auto or manual question. I`ve always liked stick because you have alot more control of your car... Plus its fun! I test drove both stick and automatic before I bought my xA and of course I picked manual. Compaired to my '91 Eagle Talon, the manual xA drove sooooo smooth!
Plus I think manual gets more gas to the gallon... I think.

*Michelle
Old 06-04-2004, 04:10 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

When I went to the dealer I did a test drive in the echo auto. What a peace of cr@p, then the xa auto and it was a big difference in responce and handling also. I finish buying an xa manual because is even better and I like how that puppy respond. Of couse is still a 1.5 Lt so don't expect your neck to be soar, but it feels good IMO. An it gets better after a couple of mods.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:19 PM
3xv
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't wait for my Xa 5 spd to arrive. Everyone who posted has given valuable information, thanks guys/gals ;).
Now, if only Toyota/Scion would come out with a Steptronic/ Tiptronic/ SMG trannied Xa/Xb, then it'll be easier to decide, hehehe :D
Old 06-04-2004, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member

My wife and I have a Manual 03 Echo. Before we bought it we test drove both the 5-speed and the auto. The auto just felt too sluggish and for lack of a better word, dead. In my opinion the car just doesn't have enough power to be good with an auto. I'm getting an xA as soon as the 05's come out and I'm going with the stick. I figure that with the extra weight of the xA the auto will be even worse than the Echo. In the end, it's all about personal preference. I'd test drive them both before you make your decision.

Cel

P.S. We also have a 98 Tacoma Prerunner with the 2.7L I-4 with an auto. 150 HP with and 3400lbs. I know there's more to it than just hp, but it is a dog. I really wish I would have gotten the 5-speed in it also.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:46 PM
3xv
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cel-I was able to test drive an Xa auto. and was very impressed how responsive the tranny/engine was. Unfortunately, Sterling McCall @ Hwy59 did not have a manual trannied Xa available for test drive, hence the basis for this thread :D. I placed an order with them the following day of the test drive, and the unit I will be receiveing, according to the sales consultant, would be an '05, $65 more than an '04.

I was also impressed with how the car handles. Not as good as a miata or a BMW 330ci., but for what it is, it can hold a line pretty well
Old 06-07-2004, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default manual

test drove the auto, bought the 5 spd unseen.

The 5 speed is definitely peppier and fun to drive than the auto.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mikochu
Well, you can double clutch down a gear to gain speed. The only think you can do in an automatic is press on the gas... It might downshift, but it won't be as fast as you doing it yourself.
Originally Posted by bluexA
For those winding downhill roads... In a manual, you can hold it in 3rd gear for example and you'll go down the "mountain" in control. Where-as on an automatic, you'd have to ride your brakes to control your speed.

That's one positive for your Rocky Mountains. :D
Don't listen to these rookies. There's more to an Auto than P, D and gas and brake... I bet I brake less than the average stick driver, too.

In the mountains, turn off the O/D, now you're in 3rd, you can downshift to second or 1st if needed. It's OK, they are there for a reason. Simply by turning off the O/D, you'll solve most of the hill problems. If you like to drive a stick, that's fine, but don't believe these guys that tell you the auto is crap just cuz they are still maturing as driver's...

And I drove an Echo Auto before my auto xB. Plenty of uuumph if you know how to use it.

When taking off at stops, I'm still pulling when most people are dropping back as they shift. Like was mentioned, I can focus on the road and conditions while the manny drivers got 2 more things to worry about.

Sure in the 0-60 range there's almost a second of difference (maybe). But there's little difference in the 40-80 range which I spend more time in... Except for the Bay Area's clutchfoot numbing traffic, then the Auto is awesome too.

In the end, it comes down to what kind of driving you do most. Decide on the conditions you encounter most and what you are comfortable with.