Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   Manual Transmission Jitters (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/manual-transmission-jitters-2232/)

JanusFive 02-16-2004 02:04 PM

Manual Transmission Jitters

First off, just wanted to say “Hey” and “Thanks!” for everyone posting here and running such a great forum. :D

So, I’m here in Charlotte, NC. Ordered a silver xB from the dealer in Hickory; wanted a red one, but there were none avail. :roll: So here’s the thing: I ordered a manual transmission, as I was tired of my Automatic V-dub not downshifting when needed, and being generally slow. Nothing special there, right?

I’ve never really driven a manual transmission, save for two very old and angry pick –up trucks. :shock: These gave me a whole new appreciation for ‘whiplash’, as I recall stalling the things out several times.

So, my question – is the Scion manual easy to drive? Did I make a stupid mistake in ordering a Manual? My problems with the trucks as I recall, (It’s been a while) were that the clutches would not engage until the VERY end of the pedal; that is to say the gears would catch suddenly at the last moment you let off of them, instead of smoothly and gradually as you left off of it. Is this normal?

Give me a shout, Scion Manual drivers. Whatchathink? :?:
Larry

xBassist 02-16-2004 02:56 PM

Manual rules.. I've never owned an automatic.... About the trucks and etc... A truck clutch feels very different than a car's clutch... the xB feels just like a car imo... Very easy to drive.

iy0ga 02-16-2004 03:27 PM

congrats on ur new silver xB :lol: im ok when it comes to manual, but why go through the hassle of up shifting and downshifting when all u have to do is step on something :lol:

rbloedow 02-16-2004 03:45 PM

Don't worry, the xBs transmission is one of the easiest I've ever used, and I've driven manual all my life. Clutch travel is super short, so pretty much any shifting is cake.

The shifter is a little clunky, but that's about it. :)

JanusFive 02-16-2004 03:59 PM

Thanks for your feedback, guys! I'll let you know after I pick it up if I get whiplash or not. :o

randode 02-16-2004 04:02 PM

the scions pretty much drive themselves. you made the right choice going with the manual.

JDMxB 02-16-2004 04:13 PM

Coming from my 97 Civic--the xB's transmission and clutch were super smooth and relatively flawless--save for the notchy shifter (this was more of an issue of getting used to the design, rather than an actual "flaw").

Anyhow, in the first few weeks of owning the car, I was very pleased with the transmission and clutch performance...the engagement/shifting/overall feel was great!

It felt like the car was impossible to stall out...it seems like it will hold on to any amount of gas you give it, but it will start to squirm and shudder if it is being pushed to it's "stall out" limit...if you know what I mean.

However, I do have a friend who is used to driving automatic--and he seems to manage to stall quite often...so it's probably more up to the driver more so than the car.

hnefrdo 02-16-2004 05:50 PM

heheh. it's hard not to relate it to a past bad experience.

dulcimoo 02-18-2004 03:53 PM

Traffic yes or no

It just depends on the kinda traffice your in. The xA and xB I test drove were super easy to shift. I thought i'd be in lots a traffice so I got the auto. (A manual in traffice can be a drag). But the I got shifted to nights - no traffic so now I wish I had the stick! Ahh darn it. No after a few day it will be come like not thinking. And with a stick you have more controll, lower cost, less breakdowns, and you can bump start it if you REALY need to (even if you shouln't cause of the catalitic cowverter).