Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Minding my own business and BAM my new RS3 hit...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Minding my own business and BAM my new RS3 hit...

So normally I don't like food in my car, but the other day I figured I'd watch some Robot Chicken on my lunch break. So I went through drive thru, parked out of the way in the parking lot and hopped in the back. About 15 minutes later my xB lurches forward and it took me a second to realize someone hit me.

This person was parked in the next row of cars behind me and backed into me. She kept apologizing saying she didn't see me, but seriously.. how do you not see a bright green box behind you??

Lucky for me it looks like it only damaged the rear bumper, glad that thing sticks out so far. Also luckily in Michigan if you're parked on private property (In this case Wendy's parking lot) the other person has to pay all damages.

Anyone got any tips as far as getting it fixed? Should I go to the dealer or should I go to an auto body place? I've only made one payment on it so I'd like it as close to "how it was" as possible.

Thanks!

Pics:

Old 07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

File an insurance claim, so her rates will go up which will make that woman realize how she's retarded.

Get a quoteon how much it'll be to repair it, give that estimation to your insurance company, who will give you a check for that much.

Then buy a rear bumper which you like, from a body kit or such.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

YEAH!!! Make that stoopid (censored) pay!!! That sucks man, wish you the best of luck with it. I would have ... Just kidding but i dunno how u kept ur cool, i wouldve been through that ladies windshield...
Old 07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would of killed her. In my evperience, most dealerships outsource their body/collision work to an "Approved" facility. Chenk with your local dealership to see how they do it. Personally in my opinion, I think the dealership would do the best paint matching. My $.02
Old 07-13-2006, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by EVLTSTR
I would of killed her. In my evperience, most dealerships outsource their body/collision work to an "Approved" facility. Chenk with your local dealership to see how they do it. Personally in my opinion, I think the dealership would do the best paint matching. My $.02
Every dealership I've been to has their own body shop. They do the most quality work there.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by EVLTSTR
what he said with out the killing her part. File a claim and make her pay, the increased rates should tick her off enough.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go easy on the lady. I've seen white cars get hit in the middle of the night(how do you hit a white 101 inch long car in the middle of the night is beyond me) just an accident im sure *shrug*

Nevertheless, I'd take it to the dealership....$$$ more than likely, but i dunno who else would be able to get it in the condition you desire
Old 07-13-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MANNNNN, I feel for the RS3 and you too. I would hit the dealer, they usually do quality work
Old 07-13-2006, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My mom had that happen to her in her Land Cruiser... from the front. She was reading the news paper in the car, waiting for kids to get out of school, when some lady pulled into the space in front of her and hit the front of the TLC. Lol, luckly we had a brush guard put on when we got it, so it did nothing to my moms car and put two nice big dents on the ladies mercury.... People are dumb. It doesnt matter what color or time of day, or size of car. They are just determined to hit you.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the tips and sympathy . Called the local dealer and they're setting me up with the body shop they work with. Her insurance was real nice about it, surprisingly easy to deal with.

I don't know how I kept my cool... probably because I had just been laughing my head off at Robot Chicken :D

Kinda wondering if the insurance will cover cleaning the backseat... my biggie coke exploaded all over it
Old 07-13-2006, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kurenai
Go easy on the lady.
I disagree. File the claim, and make her pay. She most likely was not paying enough attention.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They should definately pay to clean up to coke! Get on that man! it wouldn't have spilled if she hadn't hit you.... It's part of the damage.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya it doesnt matter what you drive people are just just dumb and dont pay enough attention on the road. i use to work for a concret pumping company, we drove around in these HUGE RED TRUCKS with REALLY REALLY BIG RED PUMPS behind us and i swear the joke around the yard was we drive big red invisable trucks. sorry to hear about the RS3 but make her pay for everything, i would have it detailed while you were at it, lol. make sure they clean all of that coke up.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1epoXyBox
Originally Posted by Kurenai
Go easy on the lady.
I disagree. File the claim, and make her pay. She most likely was not paying enough attention.
Too late now, lol, he already did

But yeah, I was in my car this morning changing radio stations and 'boom' and the car shudders. The person infront backed into us(I knew them, so i wouldnt care anyway) No damage, everybody inside of the car, including me was laughing because we weren't expecting it. But meh, I guess people should pay more attention, lol.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:21 PM
xbc
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it is a smart idea that you are going to the dealer, that way they will gaurantee the color match and quality. Whenever it is clearly someone elses fault in a situation like this, I will call their insurance company and drop off my car at a body shop I trust. The body shop and insurance company work it out and I am golden.

I even call their insurance company and tell them to set me up an account at enterprise rent a car, so I don't have to pay for anything, and go down and get a rent a car.

Lastly I call my insurance agent and let them know someone hit me so they have it in there records but not to call my insurance company because they don't have to be invloved because the other parties Insurance is taking car of it. Its funny, even if your insurance company deems its the other parties fault, they still incur fees for the investigation etc, which could count againest your renewal rates.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Minding my own business and BAM my new RS3 hit...

Let's start with "Glad no one got hurt."

Having just been rammed by a 2004 cadillac on Tuesday (drivers side rear), I'm right there with you.

I called the dealer and they gave me their body shop. Work begins on Monday and will be at no cost to me.

Now, keep in mind to ask for a clear coating of any blend they might want to do.

As for the folks who did, no one wants to make mistakes, but everthing could have been a lot worse.

Originally Posted by stickboy3k
So normally I don't like food in my car, but the other day I figured I'd watch some Robot Chicken on my lunch break. So I went through drive thru, parked out of the way in the parking lot and hopped in the back. About 15 minutes later my xB lurches forward and it took me a second to realize someone hit me.

This person was parked in the next row of cars behind me and backed into me. She kept apologizing saying she didn't see me, but seriously.. how do you not see a bright green box behind you??

Lucky for me it looks like it only damaged the rear bumper, glad that thing sticks out so far. Also luckily in Michigan if you're parked on private property (In this case Wendy's parking lot) the other person has to pay all damages.

Anyone got any tips as far as getting it fixed? Should I go to the dealer or should I go to an auto body place? I've only made one payment on it so I'd like it as close to "how it was" as possible.

Thanks!

Pics:

Old 07-13-2006, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At least the bumper kept her car from hitting the liftback. If she did, you would be looking ata whole new set of problems.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by hayalex6
Every dealership I've been to has their own body shop. They do the most quality work there.
I VERY strongly disagree with this statement. I have had mine go to two different body shops for three unrelated problems. The dealer's body shop did an awful, awful job in so many ways, and the independent shop was amazing.

Here's my take. The dealer's shop relies on people who bought their car at that dealer to take it there. That shop is the dealer's recommended shop, so they send all their work there. Independent shops rely on word of mouth to stay in business. They stay in business by doing quality work and taking care of their customers. Dealer shops stay in business by getting work from the dealer, no matter the crap jobs they push out the door. I say go independent as recommended by people who have gone there.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Figures..it was a "SHE"...