Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

mystery exhaust rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well i was able to jack up the car this past weekend. found a clip that is loose on the heat shield that covers the gas tank. i didnt have alot of time to spend under the car being it was freezing cold and snowing at my parents house this weekend. but that is probably what is rattling.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 AM
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by xBster
My axle-back was rattling against the body and driving me CRAZY...I bought a roll of exhaust wrap....wrapped the area...not a peep now.
^^^I will be picking up a roll tomorrow.. this rattle against the frame is driving me up the damn wall!! It sucks to have a nice box only to drive up or off and have a loud *ss rattling goin on!! I thought about putting it under the exhaust clamp also..... Did you do that or just around the rattling area?

Holy back from the grave Batman!!..... Was doing a search and didnt realize how long ago the last post was....
Old 06-11-2008, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 05 has the same problem. I ordered a new exhaust, so hopefully that'll fix the kink and give me the nice throaty noise I'm looking for!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just crawled out from under a rock....

Please pardon my ignorance, but:
- What is exhaust wrap?
- What are its uses and limitations?
- Where is it available?
- Cost?

Thank you.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Doug, I know what the wrap is but I'm trying to figure out why it would be used to cure a rattle. That is why we have rubber exhaust hangers for. Exhaust wrap is for use on race headers to keep the heat inside the pipe and speed up the flow.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:10 PM
SL Member
Scinergy

bB2ner is correct... but the rubber exhaust hangers dont correctly fit the axleback that I have (Espelir GT500R)... the hanger mounts on the canister are way more narrow in diameter than the factory ones. So what I plan on doing is buying some wrap and using it to wrap the area where I have metal on metal contact. And that will keep me from running around sounding like I am draggin tin cans behind me.... And it will be out of sight out of mind....
Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Isn't there a way to just adjust the mounting to eliminate the metal to metal. The wrap will wear thru eventually IMHO.
My first exhaust was a universal muffler (fart can) and I used the strap clamp (around the canister). I had a muffler shop make the front pipe and weld the muffler to it and build the front hanger on the pipe. Never had any metal to metal contact. I think adjustments could be made somehow to end the contact. But if the wrap works for you it may be the easiest route to a rattle free ride.
I'd be very interested in seeing a pic of where the contact spot is.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 AM
SL Member
Scinergy

Ok so today I picked up heat wrap.. not to be confused with muffler tape... Anyhow I put the box up on the lift and start moving stuff around. The diameter difference between the stock mid section of the exhaust and the axle back is quite a bit and I knew this when I put it on also... So I guess I should have expected this anyhow.. Just been so busy that I havent been able to get to it. So today I made the time... Basically I had a little bit of metal to metal on the S portion on the axleback and frame.. but this was hardly anything compared to the rattle that the mid section that was inserted into the axleback portion was giving off! So I used the heat wrap to create a type of gasket and make the fitment alot tighter. And no more rattles now ... Took all of 15 minutes including time to put the ride up and down. $25 fix (20 for the wrap and 5 for the lift bay fee)... To bad I never got the actual gasket (if there is one) that comes with the Espelir.... But its fixed and shouldnt be a problem anymore....
Old 06-13-2008, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Glad you got it fixed. Rattles of anykind can be annoying.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Glad you got it fixed. Rattles of anykind can be annoying.
Yeah and also can be a bit embarrasing! Picked up another fender to bumper cover bracket yesterday... 2nd one in less than a year that I have had to replace.... Anyone sell a reinforced version of the bracket out there????
Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Lehigh Valley Scions
SL Member

Hey Mike did you ever get this fixed?

Im having the same exact problem now.

when i hit the gas its rattling like a sob!