First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

New member, New Xb, well... almost

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New member, New Xb, well... almost

Hello all.. I just registered after reading this forum for awhile now. I recently purchased a Scion Xb TCM, auto with cruise. The dealer did not have the car in stock so they ordered it. Actually they did a trade with another dealer in the SE. So I go to pick up the car and ask to inspect it before I write the check. As I walk up to it I see it has a license plate mount screwed into the front bumper! I live in NC and we don't require a front plate. Then I check the odo and it has 150 miles on it.
So I refused the car. Now I have to wait for another week or so before a new one comes in with no miles and no holes in the fascia. Oh well...

This is going to be my 2nd car. My other car is a 2004 Z06 which I use mostly for pleasure. I liked the Xb for the utility and gas mileage... The Z06 has 405 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque.. Sure is going to be different driving the 108hp Xb... but I am looking forward to it.. it drives nice and will be great to have an automatic for those times when I'm stuck in traffic....

I'm a long time car guy.. If I can help out with some mechanical questions, let me know.. The Xb will be my 34th car I owned... in about so many years.... I don't fit Scions demograpics as I am 51+... but still a big kid at heart..
mike
Old 02-05-2005, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good for you for refusing the car! The mileage isn't that big of a deal but the license plate thingy would be for me. Unfortunately I live in Virginia and front license plates are mandatory
Old 02-05-2005, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No shame in being 51. I'm 50. You've made a wise choice my friend. Welcome to the family.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes! welcome!
Old 02-06-2005, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

WELCOME.....
Old 02-06-2005, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

good choice on the xb but the vette is the most uncomfortable car i have ever driven, but thats just me
Old 02-06-2005, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Congrats on the decision and welcome...
Old 02-06-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats! I have had mine for a week and love it
Old 02-06-2005, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Macthias
Me too! Welcome!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member

Default Nice to hear of some older guys on here....

Hello,

I'm flying down to Fresno CA from Washington state next thursday to bring home my newly purchased Lava XB. I'm 45 and it's nice to see some guys around my age into the XBs as well. I've been into Hot Rods my whole life and will always have one in the garage. My daily driver is way overdue to get replaced. When I saw the XB I knew it was the ticket for my next driver. Nothing bridges the generation gap like a nice ride. I've got friends ranging from 19 to well into thier 70's that are into cars. I have learned something from each and every one of them.

See ya on the road !
Old 02-06-2005, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Derk-xB
Me too! Welcome!
Had mine for 1 day, and about 12 hours I love it. So many looks, some disgusted, most from chicks who dig it You'll love it. A father up the street from me has a kid about 2 grades lower than me, and we go to same sch/ool, pretty neat to know that someone can own this car at such a high age, and lwo age to boot. You'll love it.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Nice to hear of some older guys on here....

Welcome to the family, mikem53!

Originally Posted by Dass
Hello,

I'm flying down to Fresno CA from Washington state next thursday to bring home my newly purchased Lava XB. I'm 45 and it's nice to see some guys around my age into the XBs as well. I've been into Hot Rods my whole life and will always have one in the garage. My daily driver is way overdue to get replaced. When I saw the XB I knew it was the ticket for my next driver. Nothing bridges the generation gap like a nice ride. I've got friends ranging from 19 to well into thier 70's that are into cars. I have learned something from each and every one of them.

See ya on the road !
It's nice to see some fellow Scion owners who are also into Hot Rods.
I'm 30 (still getting use to saying that) & I've also been into Classics,Rods & Customs my whole life. I've owned 13 vehicles so far, and almost all of them have been older than I am. I'm currently wet sanding & buffing my '64 Impala SS for reassembly. I will always own some sort of Hot Rod.

My "driver" was my '64 Olds, but the hydraulics in the brake system started to go, and I guess that was the last straw. I finally broke down and bought a new vehicle. I had dodged the bullet as long as I could.
I'm extremely pleased w/ my xB. It's an EXCELLENT daily driver. It has all kinds of options that I never had in the '64 Olds:
FM Radio
Intermittent wipers
RH sideview mirror
Front disc brakes
Air Conditioning (I live in Texas, by the way)
Cup holders.....the list goes on & on.
It's funny what most people take for granted these days.

Love the Z06s by the way. FUN! Great automotive choices you're makin'!

Again, WELCOME!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by match-box
good choice on the xb but the vette is the most uncomfortable car i have ever driven, but thats just me
Really... The vette is very comfortable with lots of legroom... I'm 6'3 and have no problems.... It's one of the few sports cars I can fit in.. The older generations were very uncomfortable... It was hard to get in and out of... The C5 is very nice to drive in.. around town or on a road trip...
Old 02-06-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, you fit Scion's demographic! You're alive and gave them money. If you think they're about anything else, you'd be wrong. :D:
Old 02-06-2005, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only demographic is that you have goooood taste, age does not matter. I think the xB can fit just about anyone young and old. Welcome to the scion fam...A Warning modding has been known to be addicting.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Welcome Mike...I'm a car guy myself...You're going to enjoy the B. I've had mine almost 2 months now and everyday I get in is like driving it off the lot. Pure enjoyment, especially when you start making it your own!
Old 02-06-2005, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member

welcome to the box gang! i'm 42, and don't care if people think i'm too old to drive an xB. you chose the same color and options i did, and i have zero regrets! i use mine strictly for business; i purch. mine on dec. 31, and i already have 3200 miles on it! enjoy!
Old 02-11-2005, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member

Default Hi Pharynx! ( from the dad up the street!)

Originally Posted by pharynx
Originally Posted by Derk-xB
Me too! Welcome!
Had mine for 1 day, and about 12 hours I love it. So many looks, some disgusted, most from chicks who dig it You'll love it. A father up the street from me has a kid about 2 grades lower than me, and we go to same sch/ool, pretty neat to know that someone can own this car at such a high age, and lwo age to boot. You'll love it.

LOL! "high age"...only old as you feel brother! ( I'm 40, feelin 25 again ) Congrats on the new ride man! I heard you drove by last weekend to show off your box. Sorry I missed ya! have fun bro, and stop by if you wanna talk shop.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mach1fiend
match-box-
how can you say that the vette is the most uncomfortable car you have ever driven? Nothing beats that car IMHO. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would go from a vette to a xb. I don't know why anyone would ever own one of those things ever. A guy I work with has one and calls it Boxanne. It has to be the ugliest thing in the parking lot and it is parked next to a Pinto, what does that tell you?
I am not giving up the vette for the Xb. The Xb is the beater car... bad weather, downtown trips, trips to homedepot.. etc.
I have owned American muscle cars since the 70's and I don't plan on giving them up anytime soon.
I can and do appreciate other cars. The Box is unique, economical, useful and enjoyable to drive. Like most Japanese cars, it has a very high level of refinement and is extremely reliable.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
Congrats on the decision and welcome...

Quick Reply: New member, New Xb, well... almost