Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Number crunching, time for a presentation

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Number crunching, time for a presentation

I have been trying to convince my father into letting me get an xB. He says I am in to much of a rush to get a new car and I should wait until I have money saved. I sent out an email to a couple of dealers last night asking what the cheapest they could go was. So far I got one for $13,995 (for a 5spd BCP). Now, If I sell my Rabbit for $700 (had an offer last night after posting it on a VW forum) And take my tax return check (est. $225) And a couple of pay checks (about $300) I should have a little over $1k. Now, I need a good guess for intrest percentages. I am guessing that staying on my Dads incurance would keep me low (my Rabbit is $60.13 a month). If it is (now Im guessing here, so correct me if I am way off) 15% the payments would be $223.53 a month with no money down. I would get a second job (probably back at the grocery store pushing carts a couple nights a week) in order to make enough to get it. Now, I need to set up a plan for a presentation to my Dad. I am graduating in a couple months so I need to prove to him that I can be responsable. So, I plan to explain that I will need a reliaible mode of transportation. I will be commuting about 60 miles a day to and from school. I would be willing to give up my Rabbit and get a second job inorder to pay for the car. I have crunched numbers and figure I would need about $400 a month to keep the car (gas, payment and insurance). If I get the second job I would make about $700 a month until HS ends and I get a full time job after school.

Any tips from parents? Any tips from anyone? What does everyone think?
Old 02-11-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 18, in high school and drive an xB. I would present it to him as a way to save money on gas and be safer in the event of an accident. It also never hurts to save up a little longer, it just makes it sweeter when you finally get what you want.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:08 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here's a though and I do not mean to sound harsh, but you are in high school, Do not go and buy a new car unless you can afford it. If your dad can afford it, do it, but do not put yourself in a bind for the next several years. I make good money, but that payment still is a pain in my ___. I sucked it up through high school and college in the same $500 car and it did fine, getting me where I needed to go. If you are not sure you can afford the car, you probably cannot.

The best way to figure this out is to put away the money this car will cost for at least three months, not touching the money at all, saving it. If, after living those three months saving that money, you are happy living the way you do, then buy it, and use the money you saved for a down payment. Otherwise, get a bucket.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
Here's a though and I do not mean to sound harsh, but you are in high school, Do not go and buy a new car unless you can afford it. If your dad can afford it, do it, but do not put yourself in a bind for the next several years. I make good money, but that payment still is a pain in my ___. I sucked it up through high school and college in the same $500 car and it did fine, getting me where I needed to go. If you are not sure you can afford the car, you probably cannot.

The best way to figure this out is to put away the money this car will cost for at least three months, not touching the money at all, saving it. If, after living those three months saving that money, you are happy living the way you do, then buy it, and use the money you saved for a down payment. Otherwise, get a bucket.
Now that my friend is some sound advice!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

save save bigger down payment less monthly payment

and start taking out the trash! look goods for the parents
Old 02-11-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah....I"m 19 with a more than full time job and make about 1600-1800 a month.......still tough for me......but my ins. is 200 a month....and payment is 350.....
Old 02-11-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
yeah....I"m 19 with a more than full time job and make about 1600-1800 a month.......still tough for me......but my ins. is 200 a month....and payment is 350.....
that sounds like me! Im 19, full time job and make about 1500.00 - 1700.00 the payment is 305 a month, and insurance is 225.00, gas is about 100-150 a month pain in the rear!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car was 14,200. I did choose to get the Extended warranty 6 yrs 100K miles for $800. I put down $3,000 cash, and financing over 6 years my payment is about $250 a month with their "good" credit rating not "better" or "best". That equates to about a 10% interest rate. Yours may vary due to local tax, title and document fees.

Don't forget when you figure insurance on your $700 rabbit you probably do not have full coverage insurance, when you finance a vehicle the banks require full coverage (comprehensive and collision). As a younger person such as yourself expect to pay 100-200 a month for insurance if your driving record is clean. I too would reccomend toughing it out through high school.

Think of how careless other high school kids are in their $500 cars in the school parking lot. Think of how many high school kids get in accidents. Wait till you are clear of that mess before you buy something nice.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Number crunching, time for a presentation

Originally Posted by Dreamer
I have been trying to convince my father into letting me get an xB. He says I am in to much of a rush to get a new car and I should wait until I have money saved. I sent out an email to a couple of dealers last night asking what the cheapest they could go was. So far I got one for $13,995 (for a 5spd BCP). Now, If I sell my Rabbit for $700 (had an offer last night after posting it on a VW forum) And take my tax return check (est. $225) And a couple of pay checks (about $300) I should have a little over $1k. Now, I need a good guess for intrest percentages. I am guessing that staying on my Dads incurance would keep me low (my Rabbit is $60.13 a month). If it is (now Im guessing here, so correct me if I am way off) 15% the payments would be $223.53 a month with no money down. I would get a second job (probably back at the grocery store pushing carts a couple nights a week) in order to make enough to get it. Now, I need to set up a plan for a presentation to my Dad. I am graduating in a couple months so I need to prove to him that I can be responsable. So, I plan to explain that I will need a reliaible mode of transportation. I will be commuting about 60 miles a day to and from school. I would be willing to give up my Rabbit and get a second job inorder to pay for the car. I have crunched numbers and figure I would need about $400 a month to keep the car (gas, payment and insurance). If I get the second job I would make about $700 a month until HS ends and I get a full time job after school.

Any tips from parents? Any tips from anyone? What does everyone think?

Just tell your dad pretty much everything you said here, you at least seem to know what you are getting yourself into. I do, however, agree with what the others are saying about buying a new car while you are in HS; it is a pain in the a** to have a car payment while you are in school. And if you plan to go to college it is an even worse idea. College itself is expensive, and even if you buy really cheap beer (Keystone baby ) there are a lot of other things you need money for. Its hard to find high paying job @ college. A car payment will only make it harder.

Now if you are not going to college, then at least wait until you are out of HS and have found a steady full-time job that you like enough that you won't quit in a few months because once you are locked into a car payment, you can't afford to go even a couple weeks without a paycheck while you are between jobs.

If you think that you can handle all that, then talk to your dad about the car, present him with the numbers you came up with, and let him know that you understand the risks of buying a car. The fact that you have put this much thought into this will show a lot of responsibility.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

hey
Im 18 here too! i know where ur comming from. I was in the same lace u are in. i had/still have a ford Gangstiva (festiva) and i wanted an xb, of which i have now. well when i was younger i saved all of my money for whatever reason so i had a larger chunk when it came time for a real car ........ My dad didnt think that i needed a new car. He thought that i was fine with my festiva. i was kind of in a trap. I meen i wanted a faster car and much cooler can then the festiva and the XB filled all of those needs. He thought i would race my friends, if i got a faster car, so over the time of 1-4 months i talk and talked and talked with him and finally..... yay! i gought it all on my own and i think thats the most important part.... good luck
Old 02-11-2005, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

just remember for everyone $1000 dollars you save thats on the average $21 dollars less you have to pay montly on you car.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member

I try not to lecture, or butt in on other people's business, but If my opinion is wanted, two jobs and school is going to be really draining on you. I'd suggest not putting yourself in a situation where you NEED two jobs, if you can pull it off, more power to you. but be careful, because if it becomes too much, you should have the option of being able to leave one of your jobs. besides, dreams seriously are more fun when you wait for them.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'll just say that I'm on the side of those that caution against it. It's not very smart to buy a new car period. No matter your situation, it's a huge money losing situation. Your insurance will be very, very high, almost or as much as the car payment itself. You'd be much better off staying with what you have for two more years and banging a used xB.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, so far I get that I shouldn't get it unless I can afford it. I just want to clear up and explain a couple things.

At the car wash I normally work Sunday- 9-5:30, Wed. 4-7:30, and Sat. 9-5:30. If I go back to the grocery store I would work only a couple of nights a week. And they would be like 4-10. I would keep friday and sunday nights clear of work so I have time to recoop. I have put a LOT of thought into this over the past few weeks. My Dad is now interested in helping me get one. He agrees it would be a good car for me.

The reason I want one (other then they are so cool ). After I graduate on June 2nd for Highschool I will have a month and a half until I start at UTI in exton PA. I will be commuting 90 minutes everyday. And I will need a reliable vehicle to get me to and from there. I will also start a full time job during school. Since I will be living at home I will be able to afford the car. I figure it is cheaper then moving to exton and living there for a year and moving again. After UTI I plan to move onto the Porsche training program in Atlanta (if I don't make it into porsche then audi, if not audi the VW). After that 19 week program I would be starting at a dealer, basicly of choice, where I would move into my first place, being able to afford it with my career.

Sometime this week my Dad and I are going to the Scion dealer (Lancaster Scion). To look at a BCP. (I want camo, but I could settle for BCP)

So, some may still be aganst it. But I don't care. I believe I can afford it. Im stubborn, I get it from my Dad.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wait till you move out...if you are going to UTI you can work on your own car....great experience.
figure out what your monthly payments would be and bank it...
don't burdon yourself yet, you have a lot of changes in your future, you don't need a payment to restrict what you can do 9or want to do)
Old 02-12-2005, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Scions are supposed to have the pure pricing so the dealers can't change the price. It sounds to me like the $13995 price they quoted you was without destination charges or paperwork fees. Something is missing in there. Don't forget to figure in taxes and any other fees the dealers put in and possibly some for financing. Your insurance will go up.

You have to do what makes you happy but once you do this you are commited. You can't just give it up without consequences. If I was in your position, I would look for a dependable used car. This will save you from working two jobs while trying to complete school. You do need money to have fun with. Don't think you don't. You will be miserable when you can't afford to do things with your friends because you spent all your cash on a car. Once you get to your dealership and start making the big bucks the car world will be your oyster.

Don't take everyone's advice the wrong way. We are just trying to help. You posted here because you wanted the knowledge and opinions of others. Don't dimiss them lightly.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm... i think he makes a good point, after all now his dad is willing to help, he is going from a VW (not a brand known for great reliability), and he has a 90 mile commute every day. I'd say he is already really set on it and nothing we say can detour him.

Sooooo if you are willing to give up a lot of fun stuff for yer car than go for it!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

To me cars are the funnest things in the world.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
To me cars are the funnest things in the world.
Same here, cars are my life. I don't know what I would do with out them.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Hey just drop a 1.8t in that rabbit and bam 12.2 quarter mile.

Quick Reply: Number crunching, time for a presentation