Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

ok, i'm geting irratated, i need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ok, i'm geting irratated, i need some help.

OK... here's the deal. since i first got my xB, i've been noticing alot of grindage on the gears. i would have may clutch flat to the floor and still grind the gear... this has been on going on 2nd and 3rd which tells me i've got bad syncros...

here's the fun part... now, out of nowhere my vehicle stability light goes nuts... now really, i don't mind this that much because i turn traction control off every time i start the car up but... it's a bit annoying that the VSC light is coming on and staying on and frankly it's starting to freak me out a bit.

only thing i've done to the xB is take that stupid restrictive tubing before the intake filter box *i found it rather stupid that it was mounted in a way that the headlight was blocking half of the intake hole, so i took that out*. and i also took the fuel vapor line off of the intake and opened the line up back near the... what ever that is... i'll get to that later. but basically took the fuel vapor line off the intake due to the fact that it causes detonation during startup which to some for the xB would sound like your oil is lagging on getting to the valve train... no, it's detonation for a few cycles from the built up fuel vapors in your intake plenum.

now, seeing as this has NOTHING to do with the vehicle stability control *traction control*, i want to know what the hell is going on here?!?!

oh ya, the little black box thing under the tank that the vapor lines and various other lines go to, what is that? buddy of mine and i have removed numerous vapor lines and just had a small line flowing the vapor into the atmosphere, but the box caught us by surprise oh and uh... guess what?!?! the VSC system didn't decide to go off on me until i took the vapor line off... AND the VSC system didn't go off until about an hour and a half after i removed the vapor line... so if someone could PLEASE tell me why this might have any relation to one another OR what the hell could cause my VSC system to go hay wire?!?!

another issue is, i called the dealer about the tranny problem and being i'm under 36,000miles it should be covered right? cause i'm being told that it's a $100 diagnostics charge just to look at it... if it's under the 36,000mile warranty still, then why the EF am i paying anything at all?!?!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's quite possible that this may be the wrong section to post this, more or less should be moved to power/drive-train section.

i figure the more people see it, the better the list of possible fixes.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone?

being a bit pushy i know, but i'd like to figure this out.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The doctor charges a fee to do nothing and tell you that you are OK! The same applies to a dealership. If and this is a big if...IF the problem is because YOU did something to YOUR car to cause any of the problems YOU are having, then the dealer will keep the diagnostic charge.
I work at a dealership and this crap happens ALL OF THE TIME! A customer does some of their own work and screw it up and then expect the dealership NOT TO CHARGE A DIME and then we find obvious signs that the customer screwed something up, so that's where the diag charge comes in at!!!
Btw, I'm not saying that you did this but it does happen!
Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exactually..working for honda is the same way...we give u a estimate and if it is warrenty then u dont pay..if it is your fault..u pay..no for your light problem..beign the car is obdII complaint..evething is tied toghter so when u disconnect emsion controlled part..everthing goes ape ____...as far as your trans problem...sound like u got a bad synchro..good luck with warrrenty on that one...
Old 06-21-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Have you tried putting the stuff back to normal? I'm not following why that stuff was disconnected?
Whatever you do, make sure it is back to stock before taking it in for warranty work tho. If they see all that stuff disconnected they will have a field day. They will try and blame it for the tranny problems!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah, i found the problem, i completely over looked the vapor switch circuit.

bought a code reader and got a P0441, evap purge flow *vapor line purge switch on the left side of the intake box*.

so does anyone know how to trick the ecu to think the purge flow is still active? other then that there's nothing wrong with what i did. vapor lines cause detonation during startup every once in a while, sorta sounds like engine oil is taking too long to get to the valve train and only is present for about half a second but time after time it slowly does it's damage.

i'm not taking it into the dealer anymore. tranny just needed new and better oil. royal purple 75w90, shifting is MUCH smoother, quick spirited shifting suffers no grinding anymore. no grinding at dead stop with the clutch on the floor. also, it looked like the tranny was low on oil to begin with. there are two spill out points for the manual tranny. one on the front side of the tranny and one on the very bottom near the rear. the one on the front hardly had a fee drops come out while the other spilled out just over a quart. i put inwhat is require and the front side spill out will flow like a water fall if i let it loose so that can very well be the cause.