Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Old guy "50" New Xb

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default Old guy "50" New Xb

Hi,everyone just got my AARP card so I thought I'd buy an Xb to offset it a little.
PW ,auto & mats thats it. I've been watching this site about a year waiting for them to come to Michigan.I'll have the only one in this "big 3" town for quite sometime I suppose.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats old timer!

:D
Old 07-28-2004, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on getting an Xb, good to see older people driving them to.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great to see another "older" xB owner in here (I'm 44). Had my box a little over a month now, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Just ordered personalized plates for it today, that read "BXMEBXU". Long story short, I was watching "Scarface" on TV a while ago, and of course it was heavily edited. So instead of having them say "F*ck me? F*ck you!", it came out as "Thank me? Thank you!". So I figured "Box me? Box you!" would be appropriate. "HIP2BSQ" (hip to be square) was already taken, so I settled on the box me box you one.

Congrats on the purchase. You'll enjoy driving it...
Old 07-29-2004, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DAMN! SoCalxB has more 'Bling' than most of the 'youngsters' here! Congrats and welcome, ScionJim!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm an old fart myself and love my xB. In my neighborhood, guys my age are supposed to get a used Merc, BMW, Lexus, or Volvo. Not me---never been that way! I like fresh new ideas such as the Scion line.

You're only as old as you think.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Old guy "50" New Xb

Originally Posted by scionjim
Hi,everyone just got my AARP card so I thought I'd buy an Xb to offset it a little.
PW ,auto & mats thats it. I've been watching this site about a year waiting for them to come to Michigan.I'll have the only one in this "big 3" town for quite sometime I suppose.
Sounds great! Welcome to the group! If any of those young whippersnappers give you any lip just whack them with your cane!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome ............

Your going to love the Xb !
Old 07-29-2004, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Old guy "50" New Xb

Don't worry you're not alone. I got my xB last week. I'm up in Oxford in the heart of "Big 3" country. There's only 4 others that I know of. A couple that work in Troy, one in Walled Lake and one on the east side. I'm sure there's more, just haven't seen them or heard from them on here. I saw a TCM at work downtown a couple weeks ago. Had a nice little crowd around it checking it out.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member

Welcome & have fun w/your box
Old 07-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Ray
5 Year Member

I just got my xb 10 days ago... 17's with the 7 spoke wheels, auto, cool air induction, spoiler, cruise, the custom exhast and the bazooka in the back... and I really enjoy it... my wife does too... oh BTW... I'm 56 my wife is 59... personally I think the dark blue goes good with the silver hair. I have to admit we definately get some looks in Boca
Old 07-29-2004, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member

Welcome...You're not alone. It's good to see everyone across the age spectrum enjoying this car....(I'm 38 )...
Have fun
Notus
Old 07-29-2004, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

WELL NOT AS OLD AS YOU I'M ONLY 43! LONG HAIR ,EARRINGS AND REFUSE TO GROW OLD!!! GOT MY TCM IN FEB. ONE OF FIRST ONES IN DALLAS AREA. KEEP MOTORING.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

46 and enjoying my xB. More proof that the xB is mult- generational
Old 07-29-2004, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like I'm the oldest one, so far! I'm 61 and love my box. I've had it about six months now. My other vehicles are an Acura RSX and a Volvo S70-T5. I'm an SCCA official and have been working sports car races for almost 25 years.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke20Scion
Congrats on getting an Xb, good to see older people driving them to.
Yesterday on the freeway in California, an elderly gentleman cruising his xB next to my PT Cruiser. I thought it ironic that he was in the car aimed at the youngins and I was in a car targeted for people his age. Just goes to show that all the market research is largely B.S. People will like what they like. Before I get flamed by any marketing folks - my degree is in marketing - I wanted to go into advertising. (It's not lying, it's called "puffery." - yeah, right.) I'd wager that the marketers didn't realize that the folks currently occupying the 50+ age demographic have some nonconformists that were the flowerchildren of the 1960's.

I like the xB and am waiting until I relocate my family from CA (hopefully next month). After we settle, I'll get an xB. Don't know if I'll keep the PT or not... Would be kind of cool to have two unique cars, but I only need one and don't have the room for a third vehicle...

Old 07-29-2004, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for all the comments everyone.Now if I could just get my Xb away from my wife I might be able to play with it.Being older's no big deal it just means you can afford all the "bling"but are smart enough to know you can't get it back on resale.My other toys are a VFR sportbike& a new scooter I take to the party store.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Congrats! You've made a good choice with the xB! It's fun to drive, for all ages!
Old 07-30-2004, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Thanks for all the comments everyone.Now if I could just get my Xb away from my wife I might be able to play with it.Being older's no big deal it just means you can afford all the "bling"but are smart enough to know you can't get it back on resale.My other toys are a VFR sportbike& a new scooter I take to the party store.
PartyStore..HA HA Have not heard that term in a long time. Left Michigan 15 years ago.. Nothing like a place you could get Liqour, a keg and a 6ft sub to go..
Old 07-31-2004, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member

I'm an AARPer myself and amazed that this is called a youngster's car. I traded in my Lexus ES for an xB because it just made more sense. It's all the car I really need and the utility and price are fantastic!

I've read this forum for weeks and heard the complaints about lack of power, harsh ride etc. but I think Toyota got it right! In fact I plan to keep my xB stock with the exception of a little interior bling. Maybe some people are so focused on what it doesn't do, that they forget what it does do ---and pretty darn well too! And I love the fresh, eye catching design.

Quick Reply: Old guy "50" New Xb