First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

People who bought an auto, but now want a manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default People who bought an auto, but now want a manual

Yes, I am one of these. I bought my auto in '05, and now that I can drive a manual, I can't help but wonder how much more entertaining driving would be. Ahh, maybe it's just compulsive behavior, but I've seen a fair amount of people who face the same dilemma. I was just wondering whether those afflicted stayed with their current vehicle or made the switch. I doubt I'd ever sell my xB for another just because of all the TLC I put into it, but a switch to a manual might make driving more fun. I'm not really looking for advice, since the best advice is if you want one bad enough, get rid of her and get another, but I'd like to hear other people's stories.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

My last car was an automatic... then when I got my tC, I was bound and determined to get a stick. But when I got to the dealer, they only had one stick and it was not what I wanted. So I got another auto.

You might be asking, "Why didn't you wait?" - well, because it was one of those "now or never" type situations - where my old car's tranny went out for the third time and I decided it was either fix the car or get a new one. On top of that, I was traveling so I was in a city where I didn't have a place to stay (other than my car). To get home, I needed a fixed car.

There were more factors that went into me getting an auto, vice the car that I didn't want just because it was manual. Amoung these factors was rush hour... I live in Austin were rush hour is killer on all the highways. It takes me close to 30 min to get to work, but about 1 1/2 hours to get home, in just about every direction I go. Because of the rush hour that I am forced to deal with, I am glad I got an auto.

But you are right, a manual would be hella fun. And the next car I get will be a manual... no doubt. But I will also keep my auto for things like rush hour or fiancees that can't drive a stick and will complain if you get a stick!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i live in nyc where there is a lot of stop and go traffic (regular streets + the damn "highways") so there is no way in hell i would get stick. my right arm would get diesel from shifting and my left one would look puny.

sure, driving stick is much more fun and they say stick cars last much longer, but for a city dweller, it's much more of an annoyance.
- sh00k
Old 02-02-2007, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I'm in the Chicago burbs and traffic blows. I would've loved to get a manual, but it would be an annoyance more often than it would be fun.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I did decide to switch from auto to manual, with a Kelly Blue Book dealer trade-in value of 12,400, how much do you think I'd lose? Also, does anyone know how it works when you trade in a car that is financed?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you eat all the charges from financing. but you should be able to get the trade in no prob, at least around here where nearly no xB's are to be found at dealers.

shifting in crappy traffic sucks, but it's not horrible for my area, and i wouldn't trade my stick for an auto. few cars would I ever get an automatic in, maybe a big SUV, truck or big luxo sedan.

My dad asked me why I got a stick over an auto, as he'd never drive one, but then again he only gets monster american sedans where there is no option for a stick.

I said, "my xB has a mean 103 horsepower. my peak hp is at 4200rpm and my peak torque is at 6000, why would I get a car that shifts it at 2500rpm(or wherever it does)?" I'd imageine an automatic in drive sees what, 80ish hp until you get it over 75mph?

german motors are great for autos, with there peak hp/torque is usually under 2000, and even alot of american cars meet their peaks below 3000, but not japanese 4bangers. Japanese motors are MADE to have higher redlines, to peak out higher, and have low rpms for mileage.

I drove a auto xB when I picked out my car, I don't know how you guys do it.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me either man...

when i first test frove the box i loved the way that they looked but i drove the auto first, and was really dissapointed...i didnt even think about it i was jst like, "nah that aint gonna work". it was like driving a riding lawnmower. so the guy was like wait try the stick out....

GLORIOUS! lol, when we hit the clover leaf off the interstate that was posted for 30 mph and i was going about 50 down it and half way through i dropped it in third and floored it and headed down the street.

i looked over and said yea its sold.

also, in a lot of other countries, especially europe, if you are a guy and drive an automatic you are a huge wuss. it almost unheard of there
Old 02-02-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, the irony is I had a manual stick and traded it in for an auto xb.

Firstly, the auto xb is a LOT quieter when you hit the higher speeds (65+). It makes a huge difference for your sound system AND your mental health.

Secondly, gas mileage is about the same. I thought the stick would be leaps and bounds higher, but not at all.

Finally, the xB stick is *extremely* fun to drive in the city... because it hits 3k,4k rpm pretty quickly, you're flipping through the gears quite often. As I mentioned, highway driving is not fun at all. At all. At all.

As a point of reference for city driving, I've drove the manual xB through Philadelphia (through rush hour), downtown manhattan (through rush hour) and the best of all, Belt Parkway in New York towards JFK (heavy, heavy airport traffic - I was sweating after that drive).

I traded the stick for an auto because my wife can't drive stick and she's pregnant (about to go into labor any moment, in fact). Since trading it, because the height of the car is higher than the tC's, she drives it religiously (hence, I've been driving her tC). I thought I'd regret the trade, but it's been so incredibly helpful in the last few months that I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Anyone looking to buy a excellent condition 2005 xB can buy my old one, here:
CLICK ME!
The dealer was nice.

Edit: If anyone does ever switch out for a manual, I *highly* recommend a short shifter (I used the RS-R on ebay, roughly $30, there's an install guide in the tech section). The stock shifter is much too tall and narrow between gears.

*edited to fix long url - Max
Old 02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too traded my manual in for a Auto.
A. Cause I got sick of driving stick in traffic
B. Because the RS3 came out and I wanted it
C. My wife can't drive stick.

True there is not as much pep in but its still fun to drive and much more pleasurable for me with an Auto.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My xB was my first auto since my first car, driving a stick in very hilly stop and go traffic for 2 hours a day kinda took the fun out of it. Still wish I could afford another car becuase driving a stick any other time is so much rewarding, plus I really miss it on the snow.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

After researching both and deciding on the automatic I'm happy with my choice. Turns out I was lucky getting the auto seeing how the clutches are needing replacement after about 36K miles.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:18 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

some times i wish i had got an automatic or a manu-matic transmission
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a manual after getting sick of driving an auto for 4 years. previously, i've only driven stick for 12years.

i'm very happy with it even in traffic - most of the time if you read the traffic (drive smoothly, keep a good distance), its no hassle. i also got a short shifter and that makes it easier and fun.

now, i would only go to an auto if i bought another box yeah, and also for the partner that can't drive stick and complains!
Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No way I'm giving up my stick shift- power is adequate, now, but adding a full second getting to 60 would put it over the line, in the wrong direction, and I suspect that 60-80 times would suffer just as badly, given the taller auto gearing...

The clutch is nice and light, as is the TRD shifter- near effortless in traffic, and there's much better control on slick surfaces... If I have clutch trouble down the road, and there's no sign of any so far, I'll upgrade to a slightly stiffer pressure plate and an organic disk...

Which is not to disparage automatics in vehicles that would otherwise require clutches too brute for comfort...

Can't drive a stick? There are those who'd say that you can't drive, period... but I'm not one of them, not quite...
Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

me too i went from a manual altima to my auto xb which only lasted a year (now my g/f has it) and i went and got the rs2 in manual. i cant wait to see the 2nd gen xb if it does have the 2.4 in it i might consider that in manual
Old 02-03-2007, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have always had a stick....but kind of enjoy not shifting gears for a change.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBster
I have always had a stick....but kind of enjoy not shifting gears for a change.
I heard that! All our other vehicles are sticks and I kinda feel spoiled when driving the auto toaster. It's nice to NOT shift once and awhile
Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife got her xB about 2 years go and its an automatic. I picked up mine last summer and its a manual. I live in Chicago where traffic is horrible but I love the manual and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My last vehicle was my only automatic and that's one reason I kept it less than 3 years- boring to drive. So I got a manual xB. Most of the time I love it. Gearing is low so traffic that's crawling along isn't bad as long as it keeps moving 1-2 MPH. As with any manual, the really annoying times are driving in actual stop and go conditions. Stopping on hills isn't so great either since the engine doesn't have much low end torque.

The RPMs are a little higher (500 RPM?) on the highway with the manual, but I don't think noise is that bad under 75 MPH. Once you get up to 80 and about 4,000 RPM the engine noise and vibration isn't so fun to maintain for long distances. Cruise control helps because the vibration coming through the pedals gets tiring.

As much as I like driving a manual, I'm probably going to get an auto again in my next vehicle. Traffic is just too annoying sometimes. I'd need a good manual shift mode. Or semi automatic like VW's DSG. I would've considered an auto xB if it had the paddle shifters like the Honda Fit Sport. Still be slow and not really that great but it'd be something to keep my interest for a bit.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, dont regret getting an auto. Ive been driving Manual forever and its a good change. I'll switch to manual when i get a sports car

Quick Reply: People who bought an auto, but now want a manual