Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hrm. I drive mine mostly in bumper to bumper traffic in the mornings. I've been getting about 300-320 miles per tank and I average about 9.5 gallons at every fill-up.

So at worst, I'm getting 31MPG on winter blend, in city driving, with a 5 speed. I'd be pretty upset too if I only got 23 MPG.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

people _____ way too much about "crappy" mileage. maybe if toyota put in teh correct size motor for the weight of the car mileage would be better.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

30 mpg is right in the EPA estimated range which is consistently over reality. That's very little to complain about, IMO.

Besides being heavier than the Echo, it is also geared differently and has MUCH more aerodynamic shape.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member

i'm averaging about 33 mpg in my auto xB with no mods.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just turmed 5400 miles in my 05 xB and so far have avg'd 32.1 mpg. High of 37 and low of 29. Mine won't do 100, not even 90, at least in 4 mile run.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Newtmaker
I just turmed 5400 miles in my 05 xB and so far have avg'd 32.1 mpg. High of 37 and low of 29. Mine won't do 100, not even 90, at least in 4 mile run.
very odd that it's soo slow . at least yer ____ gets good gas mileage
Old 01-26-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
30 mpg is right in the EPA estimated range .
This is true, but I've always gotten at or more than EPA with every single car I've owned except this one. It's realistic in my exp. to expect the EPA estimate.

Since you bring up the fact it's a brick, I'd expect to see uch better or worse milage depending on my speed, since drag greatly increases with mph, but I don't even see any diff with that either. (when you go threw 2-3 tanks a week, you can expierement a lot).
Old 01-26-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by K9 Crate
As most of you know, I've been snarking about the bad mpg I've been getting too (there are a lot of threads on this issue - you can do a search). Some people are having really good gas miliage, others are gettting really bad miliage and there is nothing wrong with the cars. It just plain sucks for some of us. I'm getting 23-24 mpg right now - DOWN from 29-32. I have 6,000 on my ride.
These gas mileage threads almost always concern me. However it is not the possible conspiracy/ fraud angle that often pops up that concerns me.

One concern is the lack of consistency in how people who are complaining about their mileage are calculating it. If you read all those threads, looks like about 1 out of 3 is using the gas gauge to calculate their mileage or doing some other funky estimation.

Another issue is driving conditions and style. With the low power issue, this car is very prone to noticably lower mileage if you drive hard.

Another is mods. Some have done wheel and tire combos that are not good for their mileage.

As TheScionicMan points out some are complaining even when they meet the ever optimistic EPA mileage numbers. No doubt some who have no mods and drive without their right foot hitting the floor regularly and are having some kind of issue. I'm just not convinced it is like 40% as it seems in reading these mpg threads.

You have something of a different deal K9. You have a change in mileage. You might have a mechanical problem if you have a 6-8 mpg drop assuming you have done no mods and are still driving the same. That is a pretty significant drop.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I can say is all depends on your driving style. The best mpg I can get is about 32 and average at 30 but my wife usually get at least +4 of mine.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member

I've got about 3000 miles on my 05 xB and get about 32mpg city. Drove to Tampa and averaged 80mph and still got about 32 - 34 mpg so I can't complain.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member

By the way, I've got no mods....yet..... and was running 92 octane. Switched to 87 octane and performance/mpg hasn't changed. I'm sticking with the cheap stuff....if you can call it that at $1.89 a gallon.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by roXor boXor
One concern is the lack of consistency in how people who are complaining about their mileage are calculating it.
What is the optimal way to calculate it? When I fill my tank I read the gallons the pump tells me, and divid that into my tripometer which I reset at ever filling. That seems to be the most accurate method without purchasing equipment or something like that.

Another is mods. Some have done wheel and tire combos that are not good for their mileage.
My car is totally stock, but I am interested in the effects of aftermarket wheels on mileage. I'd assume smaller wheels = worse mileage?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by lithium
Originally Posted by roXor boXor
One concern is the lack of consistency in how people who are complaining about their mileage are calculating it.
What is the optimal way to calculate it? When I fill my tank I read the gallons the pump tells me, and divid that into my tripometer which I reset at ever filling. That seems to be the most accurate method without purchasing equipment or something like that.

My car is totally stock, but I am interested in the effects of aftermarket wheels on mileage. I'd assume smaller wheels = worse mileage?
That is the right way, I believe he's referring to things like "I got xxx miles from 3/4ths of a tank so that would be x gallons"

You'll see a lot of theories and debate about the effects of different wheels and tire combos. Things i think have a detrimental effect on economy are heavier wheel/tire combos and wider tires. Of course, I'm willing to trade a little extra grip for a little mpg. Also keep in mind that most combos end up being close to the same overall height, when done correctly. What i mean is if you add 2-3 inches on the wheels, you usually reduce tire sidewall by an equivalent amount.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is the right way, I believe he's referring to things like "I got xxx miles from 3/4ths of a tank so that would be x gallons".
Yes sir! The guesstimation methods like that are exactly what I meant. Guess I should have been more specific. And I wasn't directing that at any one individual but more at random comments that seem to pop up to add fuel to the fire on these discussions that make statements exactly like what TheScionicMan said. In the multiple other threads mentioned there were several who were clearly using their gas gauge to calculate mileage.
You'll see a lot of theories and debate about the effects of different wheels and tire combos. Things i think have a detrimental effect on economy are heavier wheel/tire combos and wider tires. Of course, I'm willing to trade a little extra grip for a little mpg. Also keep in mind that most combos end up being close to the same overall height, when done correctly. What i mean is if you add 2-3 inches on the wheels, you usually reduce tire sidewall by an equivalent amount.
As to the wheel and tire mods, I also agree with his comments. There are times where it turns out somebody has varied significantly from the stock diameter of the tires.

There are many factors in messing with the overall diameter of the tires, but in most cases I expect smaller would equal lower mileage due to the increase in RPM's at a given speed.

Small differences shouldn't really be very noticable. I have seen different percentage numbers mentioned as acceptable. I believe some said 3%. Stock is 23.7". 24.1" would be .4" increase which is 1.7% increase over stock for example. 3% is pretty significant. That would be about .74" difference from stock.

Another thing to consider is the method used by the EPA to arrive at the listed mileage numbers. Check some of the earlier threads to find the links that describe the totally bogus testing method. One factor they "estimate" is the drag.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've hit 300 miles once or twice - but have also had to fill up right after 200 miles, too. not nearly as impressive as I was hoping :-/
Old 01-26-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've calculated every tankfull for the last 1700 miles in my stock 05' auto. A low of 26.5mpg and high of 28.4 in mostly city driving. I usually run it till the light comes on and have put a max of 10.2 gal. in it. I went to the exact same pump at the station and top it off with 3 clicks only, so I think it's a preety accurate mpg reading. My speedometer reads 1.5mph high at 65 mph according to GPS but I have yet to check the odometer. I am not complaining as I have yet to own a car or truck that gets "consistantly" what the EPA rates it at. It's possible but NOT the norm in the "real world" driving atmosphere.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Mods will hurt, depending on what you got. But also look at the mph.

If you are pushing your RPM's (say, anything over 75mph for me), then you'll see a mpg reduction. I found a real difference b/t my mpg when I was going 70 mph instead of 80.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Don't Top Off Your Gas Tank!

http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/index.htm
Old 01-27-2005, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't Top Off Your Gas Tank!

http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/index.htm

lol thats great they actually take the gas back from you when you overfill haha thats great.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I average 29 MPG on my stock xB with about 9900 miles on it. That is about 70% highway and 30% city driving.

Quick Reply: poor gas mileage