Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Power steering squeals on tight turns normal?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Power steering squeals on tight turns normal?

My XB year 6.5 has less than 30k miles on it. However, anytime I do tight turns at low RPMs, it squeals. It's done this since 10k miles, just never paid much attention to it. However it's getting louder now. I'm not sure if it the twine string sized belts, or power steering pump acting up, or if they all do this. It is rare, only when parking in spaces with limited maneuvering space. But like I said, it is definitely getting louder. Perhaps time to change these micro sized fan belts?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I'd check the fluid level first. If it's low, Lukas makes a really good fluid that really quiets things down, worked great in my Jeep.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the pump is squeals already, its probably too late, but Id try swapping out the PS fluid that is in there from the factory and replacing w/ ATF fluid as it is a better fluid than PS.

I have the same year/mileage (well, 28K) and have no noises coming from my PS unit. I drain out 200mls every month and replace w/ 200mls of ATF. Been doing this since new (as to avoid removing hoses down the road) and Im sure at least 85% of the total volume is ATF.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will check the fluid level. But that worries me, if it is low, then where did it go? It would of had to leak out somewhere, which means dealer visit when I get back home in August.

Today, it was noisy just making light turns, but got quiet after warming up.

Oh well, already have a warranty repair scheduled in August for my rear passenger side door. The door doesn't close properly or snuggly without additional force.

I'll update after I check fluid level.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you sure it's the steering? In my garage at work, I get squeals with every turn. But that's because of the tires and the sealed concrete garage surface. If it's something else, take it to the dealer if you're under warranty.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is under warranty, but I am a long ways from the dealer and cannot leave until August 1st or 2nd. I am going through radiation therapy and cannot afford to travel far from Gainesville. However, I did just find a Scion dealer through search online, can any dealer handle warranty repairs?

I used to think it was the tires, but it has new tires up front, and it makes same noise on all surfaces, even dirt. It almost only does it when cold, and at low RPMs.

I'll check the fluid level as soon as weather permits. I am still taking it to the dealer ASAP. If fluid is low, then it must be leaking.

My Corolla has over 160k miles, it never leaks anything.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

A squealing noise on tight turns is "normal" cause since you are holding the steering wheel on tight, locking turns, you are applying unwanted stress to the power steering pump! It's letting you know to STOP holding it so hard in the lock to lock position.
Also, if you had a leak, you should notice the red fluid leaking at the bottom of your car!

Btw, you could have a loose P/S belt causing it to squeal!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, it does it on very mild turns. I can be turning it just a tad left or right when pulling up to a stop sign, and it gets noisy, like it just did an hour ago. Once it warms up, it does not make any noise, even if you turn it to the lock.

Checked the fluid level, it's fine. The belts are fine too, no excessive deflection or wear.

Red fluid? The fluid in this Scion is clear. Yes, I checked the correct fluid. However, it does look rather thin compared to other power steering fluids I've seen.

Sounds like a trip to the local Gainesville dealer, if they will do warranty repairs on a vehicle bought in Panama City.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, any Scion can handle warranty repairs. Like metro273 said, it's normal for noise at full lock. It's probably a loose/worn belt or low fluid. Make sure you avoid turning the wheel unless you're moving. Turning the wheel while completely stopped puts a lot of strain on the steering components.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stew32
Yes, any Scion can handle warranty repairs. Like metro273 said, it's normal for noise at full lock. It's probably a loose/worn belt or low fluid. Make sure you avoid turning the wheel unless you're moving. Turning the wheel while completely stopped puts a lot of strain on the steering components.
Earlier today, it did it while in motion pulling up to a stop sign when it was still cold. I just turned to the right a few degrees and it got angry.

I'll be taking it to the local Scion dealer in Gainesville tomorrow if they are open. Fluid is fine (assuming it is supposed to be thin and clear) and belts appear to be fine. It has less than 30k miles, so I want to nip any problems ASAP before they find ways to blame me.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member

Are you sure it is a power stearing problem? You said it happened when turning and when you were stopping. Were you applying your brakes? I have a 2006.5 with 15,000 miles on it and she has had sqeaky brakes since about 8000 miles. They only seem to squeak when I am turning into tight spots with brakes applied! Is it possible that it is your brakes?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gramcracker1186
Are you sure it is a power stearing problem? You said it happened when turning and when you were stopping. Were you applying your brakes? I have a 2006.5 with 15,000 miles on it and she has had sqeaky brakes since about 8000 miles. They only seem to squeak when I am turning into tight spots with brakes applied! Is it possible that it is your brakes?
Brakes are fine. There is a stop sign at the exit to the parking lot at this lodge that I am staying at until my radiation therapy ends. When I turned to the right, before I braked, it got noisy.

I was unable to make it to the dealer today in Gainesville. It will have to wait until after my Monday's session before I can take it there. But it's been good again, as if it knows I am about to get it checked. Knowing my luck, dealer will say they found nothing wrong, and unable to reproduce it. But I want to get it on record that I complained about it anyways in case it does become a problem or failure later. I really doubt it's serious, like I said it comes and goes, and now it only does it when cold and maneuvering to pull out.

It just seems rather soon for belts to be getting worn or loose. And those belts look like a pain to work with since there is such little clearance. I'm used to the one belt for all serpentines where you just loosen a tensioner and change belts.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just updating this, the noise went away back in August when I left Gainesville. Has not been a problem since. Guess the XB did not like the Gators, lol. It is Salsa or Seminoles red.