Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Protect xB's engine compartment from dirt

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Default Protect xB's engine compartment from dirt

New member here. Long time reader but first post. I noticed that my '06 xB's engine compartment got dirt all over it soon after I bought it new. I just passed 30k miles and finally couldn't stand it anymore so I cleaned it today. I drive mostly freeway and it rains a lot here in Seattle, but still, there is just too much dirt compared to my previous cars.

I noticed that our engine compartment doesn't have a rubber strip on the inside part of the hood which I'm assuming is the reason why dirt gathers so quickly. So, here is what I came up with, let me know what you guys think.

Front end with the hood open:

Another view:

Front end with the hood closed:

What I used:

Sorry I don't have a before picture but you can look at your xB and see the big gap between the grill and the hood for dirt to get in. With the hood closed, you cannot see the foam unless you kneel down to look at it. Do you guys think Scion purposely left out the rubber strip under the hood for better ventilation because we have a non-ventilated grill? I hope the engine won't run hotter because I weatherstripped the gap on the front, I did not do it to the sides.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The weatherstripping should not cause a problem at all for engine heat - cooling for the engine is via the two lower grills.

I believe I have some black stick-on weather stripping in the storage area. If I can find it I think I'll follow your example.

Tom
Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm...
Lets see. If xB had a ventilated top grille then all the road dust would enter the engine compartment that way. Grilles are mainly used to allow the air to enter the radiator. Our xBs use the lower two grilles for this. The air (and the dust) enters the two lower grilles then goes through the radiator, then it ends up in the engine compartment. Some of the dusty air exits under the engine and I suspect some swirls around the engine. That is how I think that the dust gets onto the engine. There must be some air turbulence in the engine compartment especially at highway speeds.

I have my doubts if sealing the hood will drastically reduce amount of dust in the engine compartment. But it is worth a try.

Yes, I too ended up washing my engine after a year of owning my xB.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ hey peteski... happy bday man!

In the north west there is only one way to keep your engine clean...wash it when you wash the car. lol
I do think you may be on to something though,macgadget, Keep us posted on what you find over time.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks guys, I will keep you guys posted. Since I just washed the engine compartment, it should be easy to spot any new dirt. Good to know I don't have to worry about ventilation.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I wash the engine compartment about every other time Vanilla gets a bath. Works for me, and the engine compartment essentially looks "new car fresh" after almost 3 years of being on the road...

Tom
Old 01-01-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

not a bad idea, wouldn't hurt if you added it to the sides as well, but your not gonna knock out alot of dust, just mostly rain
Old 01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member

Tom - your engine compartment looks super-clean. ^

What is your recommended method of cleaning?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool idea. how much for that strip of foam and where?
also, what's a good way to clean/wash the engine bay form your experience? hosing down?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 PM

I got the weatherstrip at a local Home Depot, I want to say around $5. As for cleaning, I found this url somewhere here in the threads:
http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f33/600...e-compartment/
I'm actually waiting for Tom's reply since his car looks brand new under the hood.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

spic and span
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, the detail shop I use also has some DIY wash bays with the coin-op pressure washers.

For the engine compartment I give it a light spray of the "Engine Compartment Detergent" out of the sprayer, then go over it with a high pressure rinse and just before my time runs out I give it a light spray of the "Clearcoat Protectant" which seems to be a very dilute silicone-like spray or something like that.

Overall it cleans the engine nicely, doesn't damage anything, and the final protectant seems to keep the dust and stuff from sticking as well as keeping the rubber new looking.

I did the same for my mum's xA (which I just sold for close to what it cost new), and the buyers were very surprised at the engine compartment looking like it had never moved out of the showroom.

Bottom line is I don't like working on a dirty engine.

Tom
Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tomas, all I can say is "WOW"!

That is in better than new condition! Your routine is definitely working the magic.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:48 AM
SL Member

That is a very clean engine bay...man I could eat in there. Ha ha...I think I'm gonna do that the next time I'm at the car wash...I was just worried about water and electronics in the engine bay is all.

-Chris
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by layzieb36
That is a very clean engine bay...man I could eat in there. Ha ha...I think I'm gonna do that the next time I'm at the car wash...I was just worried about water and electronics in the engine bay is all.

-Chris
I use double layers of tin foil to cover fuse boxes and such. Then detail them afterwards.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW I have been thinking the same thing but in my case I wanted to keep more of the engine heat in as mine is taking too long to warm up on the short trips I take around town. Sealing up the hood will keep the engine warmer when parked and I already have the grills blocked off for the cold days. I too see the water and dirt streaks on the engine cover coming from the hood gap - I think the radiator will slow the air coming through it and trap the rain enough to keep it from reaching the engine and most of it will be down lower anyway.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I use Whesleys Blechwhite for underhood cleaning. A soft wheel brush to loosen the dirst and a quick rinse with the garden hose. After it dries I hit everything with the foamy tire stuff. It gives everything that better than new look. Even in the hard to reach areas.
Avoid high pressure washes because it tends to force water where you do not want it to be. Like in electrical connections and inside the engine. Learned that from owning motorcycles. Doesn't take much pressure to force water past engine gaskets.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:19 AM

Tomas, I am jealous of your engine bay. I will stop by the local pressure washer tomorrow. Will plastic grocery bags be sufficient?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ what exactly needs to be covered when hosing down? i'm always a bit confused by this ... obviously the battery ...

will look into that foam stripping @ home depot ...
Old 01-02-2008, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Very nice!
My engine compartment gets more dirt and sand in it than any car I've ever driven.
I've used that stuff for other projects before, but never even thought of it for that use - good call!

Quick Reply: Protect xB's engine compartment from dirt