Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Question about driving 5spd. new lava owner...first post.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Question about driving 5spd. new lava owner...first post.

wow. after about a week of BSing with lustine toyota in woodbridge Va, i finally purchased a RS1 (from Miller in manassas.) Lustine has been nothing but trouble, whereas i walked into Miller, told them what i wanted and walked out with my car.

I traded in a 2000 mustang (auto) for the hot lava, which i decieded to get in 5spd. I have minimal experience with manual transmissions, and was wondering if you guys could give me any tips. I know the basics, but its things like what to do on hills that have me confused. I have a friend whos taking me out this coming weekend to give me a refresher before i take delivery of my lava. How long does it usually take to get the hang of. I dont want to have to replace the Xb's cluth the first week I get it.

oh, and some background information. Im 20 y/o and live in manassas VA, going to George Mason.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

If it feels like it's about to stall, give it more gas.

I was driving to school the next day after first getting behind the wheel of a manual. It just depends on mental capacity and how able you are to learn something entirely new.

I would study the basics of the manual transmission first.

Welcome!

Andrew
Old 05-05-2004, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I learned to drive a manual transmission in a parking lot of my local target when I was about 19 years old, and it took me about 2 nights to finally get a real good grasp of it--good enough where I was confident enough to take the car on a public roadway at least!

Some tips on hills...I usually put the car in neutral and am on the brakes the entire time while stopped. When it's time for you to go, clutch in while still on the brakes, shift to first and quickly move your right foot off of the brake and onto the gas--and give it more gas than you would at a normal stop on a flat surface though, so you don't let the car rock back too much and hit someone behind you.

Another way to do this, is while stopped at the hill, apply the Ebrake. When you are ready to drive, clutch in, shift to first, rev the car up a little, let the clutch out some and then let the ebrake down...that way you get less of that roll back.

Personally the ebrake method would be safest, but most of the time i'm just too lazy to bother with it!

Good Luck, shoot us any more questions you may have.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by JDMxB
I learned to drive a manual transmission in a parking lot of my local target when I was about 19 years old, and it took me about 2 nights to finally get a real good grasp of it--good enough where I was confident enough to take the car on a public roadway at least!

Some tips on hills...I usually put the car in neutral and am on the brakes the entire time while stopped. When it's time for you to go, clutch in while still on the brakes, shift to first and quickly move your right foot off of the brake and onto the gas--and give it more gas than you would at a normal stop on a flat surface though, so you don't let the car rock back too much and hit someone behind you.

Another way to do this, is while stopped at the hill, apply the Ebrake. When you are ready to drive, clutch in, shift to first, rev the car up a little, let the clutch out some and then let the ebrake down...that way you get less of that roll back.

Personally the ebrake method would be safest, but most of the time i'm just too lazy to bother with it!

The best way with the e-brake is to disengage the clutch till the car starts to pull forward, then drop the e-brake. I usually keep the car in first gear at redlights, just incase something pops up and you have to get out of there quick.

Andrew
Old 05-05-2004, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like Miller has turned around there business practices. Good to hear. It doesn't take long to get the hand of a 5 speed. It just takes time to get the technique down. If you have a problem putting it into reverse, then just put it into 2nd and then go to reverse.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ghost
Originally Posted by JDMxB

The best way with the e-brake is to disengage the clutch till the car starts to pull forward, then drop the e-brake. I usually keep the car in first gear at redlights, just incase something pops up and you have to get out of there quick.

Andrew
If possible I leave the car in first at stops...but in So.Cal we have such jacked up streets that none of them are flat, so you spend time either rocking back and forth looking like you don't know what you are doing, or just keep the gas guzzling while trying to hold the car steady at a low RPM.

I love california, yet at the same time hate it. haha.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Banned
SL Member

quick tip.. if ur revving above 2,000 RPM, you're reving too high.. teh scions have excellent low end torque (thanks to VVTi) ..

you should honestly be able to start the car rolling (on level ground) without touching the gas..

a good practice is this:

turn on the AC (this keeps rpm levels up near 900/1000RPM without gas pedal application) and then practice starting and stopping without using the gas pedal.. you'll save thousands of miles of clutch this way.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member

[quote="CivicEater"]quick tip.. if ur revving above 2,000 RPM, you're reving too high.. teh scions have excellent low end torque (thanks to VVTi) ..
quote]

I have to disagree with that statement, on soooo many levels, hahaha :D
Old 05-05-2004, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It took me a week to get the hang of it. Dont worry, once you have it, you'll be shifting so much it wont take long before youre a pro
Old 05-05-2004, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow, so many replies in only an hour. thanks for the help guys. Yeah, miller did not let me down. I got $500 more on my trade in than any other dealership in the area offered (including a ford dealership....) The lava should be here this saturday, i hope i dont get sick of the LOUD color. ;)

on a side note, there is a lava xb always parked at Potomac Mills mall (im assuming they work there...as do i.) anyone on the forum?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member

Dang, thats like the 4th RS1 that Miller has sold. I bought a 5-speed there and had great service as compared to other dealers in the area. Added incentive from Miller was the coupon booklet that gives you 1 $25 gift certificate and 4 15% off entire purchase coupons that can be used on all over-the-counter parts. Save yourself some money and use these coupons to order the floormats, tail lights, CAI intake or any other accessories you plan on purchasing through the dealer and install them yourself. Their price lists for parts are signifcantly cheaper than the accessories price list (which includes installation labor, what a joke esp. on floormat or cargo covers which requires no labor at all)

Congrats again, maybe I'll see you around!
Old 05-05-2004, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

they sold 3 last week. im assuming your sales consultant was austin...he said he sold all 3. thanks for reminding me about the coupon book. I am ordering the tcy taillights, but i can easily intall those myself.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

ok, here's my tips–

learn on mostly flat areas-- begin in first gear with clutch in.
don't worry about giving it any gas at this point
SLOWLY let the clutch out til you either see your rpms drop just a little bit, or you hear the engine rpm drop, or you feel it start to move
Then apply a little gas as you let the clutch out .

After you master this-- then you just apply the same principle to taking off on hills-- it may take you a while to master this but, I think it's the best way. (E brake is for sissies)

keep this in mind for longer clutch life
When you are stopped, keep the clutch or in neutral. The worst thing you can do is sit in traffic or at a light with clutch engaged just a little
Old 05-05-2004, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Uno1200mob
they sold 3 last week. im assuming your sales consultant was austin...he said he sold all 3. thanks for reminding me about the coupon book. I am ordering the tcy taillights, but i can easily intall those myself.
Damn, whats with all the RS1....but thats another thread. I bought mine about a month ago from Kirk, he was great. I think they had only sold 1 before me so i guess were up to around 5. TYC tail lights were a breeze to install, took less than 30 minutes.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Driving a stick isn't difficult. Just practice keeping the RPMs as low as possible while the clutch is slipping. The quicker you can get the clutch engaged and the lower the RPMs of engagement, the longer your clutch will last.

Hills are doable in one of two ways. You can either use the parking brake to hold the car while you get ready to release the clutch, or with a bit more skill, you can operate both the brake and throttle with your right foot, heel on one, and toe on the other.

You can also do the quick swap from brake to throttle, but this will always let you roll backwards a bit, which is harder on clutch and perhaps on your rear bumper and insurance rates.

Practice hill techniques with no traffic. Don't head for San Francisco before you know what you are doing!

George
Old 05-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Banned
SL Member

[quote="ochizon"]
Originally Posted by CivicEater
quick tip.. if ur revving above 2,000 RPM, you're reving too high.. teh scions have excellent low end torque (thanks to VVTi) ..
quote]

I have to disagree with that statement, on soooo many levels, hahaha :D
not many hondas you can simply let out the clutch on dude..

compare ANY OTHER 1.5, and you'll be amazed at the torque availability of the 1NZFE
Old 05-06-2004, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

As someone that took delivery on their xB just last Friday and didn't really know how to drive stick, let me tell you that you'll be fine. I learned to drive stick on an SRT4 and I have to say the xB is sooooo much easier.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

10 mins driving and ull be fine. given proper coach
Old 05-06-2004, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member

Don't make it too complicated -- it ain't that hard.

Those who said you don't need the gas to get rolling are right

Do use your parking brake on steep hills, anyway

Two other things:

When stopped, put it in neutral and keep your hand off the shifter and your foot off the clutch.

Likewise, when you are cruising, keep your hand off the shifter and foot off the clutch until you need to shift

Both will help you avoid excessive, unnecessary wear

Enjoy
Old 05-07-2004, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wonderchook
As someone that took delivery on their xB just last Friday and didn't really know how to drive stick, let me tell you that you'll be fine. I learned to drive stick on an SRT4 and I have to say the xB is sooooo much easier.
Yeah, the manual on the SRT-4 sucks. Granted, it feels firm and tight like a Ferrari, but it's a pain in the a$$ to drive. I found it hard to get into gear properly...they should just remove the boot with a gear layout. I prefer the more forgiving "spongy" feel common to cars. Modern BMWs, Audis, VWs, and our Scions have excellent feeling sticks in my experience.

Quick Reply: Question about driving 5spd. new lava owner...first post.