Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

R.I.P. Ray-Ray (or enjoy your new family, whateva)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member

Default R.I.P. Ray-Ray (or enjoy your new family, whateva)

So, last fall I bought my first new car, a silver, automatic, 4 door, Silver Xa who I lovingly named Ray-Ray. I adorned him with Happy Bunny schwag, and took care of him faithfully.

Unfortunatly....

After leaving my 15k checkup with Toyota, Ray-Ray got very sick. My fiance' and I went out to dinner about 40 miles from our home, and afterwards, Ray-Ray would not start for us. The lights and radio came on, but there was no life in the engine, no clicking, sputtering, dimming.....nothing. We cheked the fuses and nothing seemed to be broken. So we had him towed home, then a couple days later, towed to the dealer.

Dealer told us that a fuse was blown. Ok cool! Ray-Ray is back!! The next morning, I was up super early to take my truck back to my parents for keeping since my car was working....Ray-Ray started, them promptly turned off and would not restart.

Had him towed again.

This time, they replace the fuse, and checked the entire system for shorts, as well as the computer and everything else they could think of. Couldn't find anything. So, they gave me a couple extra fuses in case it happend again, so I wouldn't be stranded. Perhaps it was just a bad fuse? Could happen....

Again, Ray-Ray stopped on me. Only this time, it was in the middle of the road outside my apartment while I was driving. *deep breath* So, at this point. I'm done. This qualifiy's for the lemon law.

I had him towed for the 4th time, and went to the dealer yesterday. At first attempt they only wanted to give me 9k for him, (there is a little body work that needs to be done to re-sell, but that was low). Eventually we settled on 10-5, and I'm getting a brand new Indigo Blue one set up the same as my last. (Security system. I'll put more cool stuff on it later.)

I have a good feeling that this isn't a series problem, but an accident on Toyota's part. Hence, I got the same car from the same dealer again. It's just a bummer I'm loosing four grand on it. I definitly feel screwed over, but I'm not sure if I was treated fairly or not. I've never delt with this before.

That's all for now. :-)
Old 04-21-2005, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member

Boy, does that suck. Under the Lemon Law don't they have to give you a brand new vehicle straight up? What you mentioned sounds like the typical dealer rip-off on a trade-in. I'd consult a lawyer if I were you. Also, don't give the car a nick name and see how it does. If I were called Ray Ray I'd stop working just to move to someone else's garage.

Could the problem have to do w/ the alarm system hookup?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Did they say "yeah, you qualify for lemon, here's the trade in value:"??? I don't know much about lemon law, but it sounds like your were on your way ... what's done is done. I'll leave it there.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im glad you are getting a new car, however, you shouldnt have paid anything. Why should you take a loss? Makes no sense to me.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I'd get some more opinions. . . sounds fishy.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It maybe too late cause it sounds like the dealer had you trade-in "ray-ray" instead on following the lemon law, refund you 100% and get you a new car...

Here's a link for your state => http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/lemonlaw.asp

Give them a call, you shouldn't be $4,000 in the red for buying a lemon.

~chris
Old 04-22-2005, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks all.

Yeah, i definitly feel screwed, but I think I'm sort of stuck. I didn't let them try to fix it three times, and it hasn't been out of service for thirty or more days. Maybe I should have let them fix it again, but oh well.

As for the four grand, a bit of it is justtified. There is about a grand worth of repairs to the body. (somebody hit me, hit and run.) I hit 15k miles in about 6 months, which is twice the norm, and I'm getting a brand new one. 4k seems high, But since I've already accepted the new car (which I needed immediately) I may be out of luck. Live and learn I suppose. However, if something were to happen with this one, the better business bureau, and Toyota Corporate / Scion will get hell from me.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

PS - The idea of Ray-Ray killing himself because of his name.....is totally understandable. He could have spoken to me about it though, we may have worked something out. yeesh.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

you may still be able to persue it. . . it's worth a shot
Old 04-23-2005, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i find it highly unlikely your new xA would experience the same problems. Enjoy your new ride!