RF cruise control vs. corded cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Oh, I get it now.
First I do have to remove left hand from wheel.
I use index finger to turn on and work top button. I use my thumb to work lower button.
Stalk is only mounted to the lower half of column column housing through one hole and has a nut and washer on the backside. It has an angle shim that can be rotated to adjust the angle slightly according to how YOU want it to face.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

when I had the RF unit on the steering column I could hit the buttons without taking my hand off the wheel. Now with my aftermarket steering wheel it's mounted in the cubby to the right of the steering wheel. It's a little harder to reach there, but not too bad because the right button sets it and the left accelerates so even without being able to see it I can feel which is which.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi,

Is it safe to assume all the CC installs are strictly on Automatics and NOT on manual transmission cars ?

Dave
Old 08-09-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

you can install cruise on a stick.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks so much, I have a much better understanding of it now.

Is it safe to assume all the CC installs are strictly on Automatics and NOT on manual transmission cars ?
See dugzillaxb's reply, and, different instructions come for the lever and the RF models. Both models however include steps for installing the CC on either a manual or auto trans xBs.

I think dugzillaxb can confirm that his RF model came with the parts for either an auto or manual trans installation.

Kerry
Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

yup, it sure did.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by dugzillaxb
yup, it sure did.
Good to know! It's amzing how much you learn when everyone works together. Scion Life Power to all! FTW
Old 08-13-2007, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member

Kerry, i don't think there is much "give" when pushing the buttons in. There are not small clips that hold the transceiver to the steering wheel, but a single rather large metal bracket. When the bracket is in place on the steering wheel shroud, you slide the CC switch down onto it. It makes for a comfortable fit, and the only "give" that i feel is the button itself going backward into its own plane of movement. This probably varies for other people if they did not push the metal bracket all the way down onto the shroud. I would expect that to have a little wiggle room. Or perhaps the shroud is not re-seated enough for the shroud itself to be moving back and forth, thus providing the perception of the CC switch moving around when in use.

Manual/Automatic: Yeah, there's one additional part included if you want to install it on a M/T. Otherwise, you do not install it for A/T. There is also one wire you slide up into an existing wire harness for A/T. It is taped out of the harness when shipped for M/T.

Button pushing: depending on where you place it radially around the wheel, you may or may not need to pull your hand off the wheel to engage buttons. In the standard 8 o'clock position, i just slide my hand a bit to the left and my finger/thumb is in position to use CC switch. My normal driving habits are to have one hand in high position of wheel and thumb or finger hooked in opposite low corner.

Note on epoxy: The CC unit operates on a CR2032 battery, which is the same type of battery used in computers to keep the BIOS info. If you epoxy the unit somewhere, remember you will eventually need to replace the battery, which will entail removing the CC unit from epoxy to expose battery and replace. Note that CR2032 batteries typically last 5+ years in computers, but i have no idea how much power is used per CC switch engagement. Small bursts or moderate power are probably necessary since it's wireless, rather than continual small amounts of power being drawn. I expect that mine should last at least 2 years, likely 3+. If you only highway drive, then maybe 1+ years. The transceiver itself draws power from wiring harness under the dashboard, so no power concerns there.

On a side note, my unit is not working again, even at 40mph. So, i'm depressed again, but with local temps of 100 degrees almost daily, it's not fun to be outside under the hood/dashboard. I kinda just wanna say F it... but i don't want the $225 to go to waste.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got it about the bracket and tips, thanks BakCompat. That's not such good news about yours not working correctly. I was just about to buy an RF but now I'm thinking I'd like to hear from 1-2 members who have had continued success with it for a few months.

Kerry
Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I have had mine on for well over a year with no problems. The only time I have ever had a problem with the cruise is when the power lead came loose where I tapped it in the fuse panel.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks dugzillaxb, that's good to know.

Kerry