First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Ride quality compared to last vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ride quality compared to last vehicle

Looking for opinions from xB owners compairing their last vehicles ride to the xB. I have some lower back issues and am a little comcerned about the ride. I think it is ok but not 100% sure. I have had mini and full size vans and they are good. I really like the high seating position in the xB and the mileage.

First test drive was low profile tires and that was just too rough but hte standard tires are a much smoother ride

Any thoughts
Old 06-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Banned
SL Member

I had an '01 Camry. Compared to the xB, the Camry felt more like a Cadillac. Sorry to say, I dont recommend the xB/xA for people with back pains, in my opinion.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I had an 03' Hyundai Santa Fe...Cruised like it was on water, I hardly felt the road...Heh, boy did that change with the xB...But I think overall it's worth it...My box is way more fun to drive around

DAN
Old 06-24-2004, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I traded an '03 Avalanche that was riding on 20's for my xB which has 17's.

The ride is definitely firmer, sometimes almost jittery... but considering the xB weighs one-third of my Av and the wheelbase is probably half, I expected as much.

The seating posture and visiblity are great in an xB.

You can't take other people's opinion on how YOU will find an xB to suit you. You'll have to test-drive one and see for yourself.

Maybe a dealer will let you try one overnight or for an extended drive so you can experience the package first hand...
Old 06-24-2004, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

comeing form a bmw its not that good but i have lowering spring and that help the ride a little, but for someone with a back problem i would have to go on a test drive i would not just say this car is not for u b/c the seats have a lot more surport then my bmw had.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the replys!

I have had 2 overnight test drives. The first seemed too rough and had 18 or 19 inch rims with low profiles. The second was stock and I was suprized at the differance. It is still a firm ride but I love the seating position (high up) and the side support. You stay put in the seats. It seemed Ok for the +100 run. Lots of stops and various roads. I tried to find the rough ones as well. I was suprized that someone riding in the car that had a Saturn stated thet the ride was better than the Saturn.

The van I have now is softer but you move around a lot. The xB is a really fun car and I really want one. I just hope that my back doesn't protest in the long run. Wish someplace rented thses out for a week or so.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Ride quality compared to last vehicle

Originally Posted by scottwood2
Looking for opinions from xB owners compairing their last vehicles ride to the xB. I have some lower back issues and am a little comcerned about the ride.
I have "lower back issues" too; including failed low back surgery. My last vehicle was a Nissan KingCab light truck with 4 Japanese "gas charged" extra firm shock absorbers and a 5-speed manual tranny. I'm finding my 2005 auto tranny xB to be much better on my spine. Speed bumps and pot holes don't hurt any more and not having to hold the clutch in in stop-and-go traffic is a major improvement. My xB is about equal in comfort to my wife's 1996 Camry. I like the upright driving position more than the Camry. I definitely have decided to stay with the standard size wheels and tires. I feel relaxed and comfortable in my new xB. I love it! :D
Old 06-24-2004, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ride is firm, but my mom's Camry SE is the same way. One thing I noticed is since the xB's wheels are stretched to the outer corners, when you go over humps (like short bridges that go over a canal)- it will "heel-toe" and not "hop" like my old Focus. The Focus would kind of bounce up and down- the xB kind of does a front to back motion-overall, it rides nice, but does not quite corner like Focus did ( rear independent suspension)

hope this helps...
Old 06-24-2004, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Originally Posted by FuglyxB

You can't take other people's opinion on how YOU will find an xB to suit you. You'll have to test-drive one and see for yourself.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well tonight was the late night for the dealerships. I went and test drove the manual xB again, then I drove a PT Cruiser. The PT has a much softer ride. Then I test drove the xB again. These 2 cars a miles apart on design. I like the layout of the cargo space in the PT but I was having a blast every time I drove the xB. The open feel is great. The PT is more confined.

Thanks again for the posts. RPMxB, your commit make me feel better. I must admit that the seats are great feeling. I feel good driving the car.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Signed the papers yesterday. Pick it up on Monday. 2005 Black Sand xB, 9 spoke covers and the cargo cover.

I had never seen the cargo cover before until I seen it on my car. It is really lame. Thought it would be a hard cover or a roll up. It is just soft cover with 4 clips. Oh well.

Come on Monday :D :D :D
Old 06-26-2004, 11:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by RPMxB
and not having to hold the clutch in in stop-and-go traffic is a major improvement.
Wait the xB has a one of those clutch holding gizmo's or? What do you mean? Or did you just get an auto?
Old 06-26-2004, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a 96 SHO with full suspension work on 18's with 40 series tires. The ride sucked! But man it could out handle anything out there. The tires would break lose in a turn before the body would start to roll. The ride in my xB is a 1000x better.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Wait the xB has a one of those clutch holding gizmo's or? What do you mean? Or did you just get an auto?
I got an auto.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Signed the papers yesterday. Pick it up on Monday. 2005 Black Sand xB, 9 spoke covers and the cargo cover.

I had never seen the cargo cover before until I seen it on my car. It is really lame. Thought it would be a hard cover or a roll up. It is just soft cover with 4 clips. Oh well.
Congrats on your commitment to the xB and welcome to our ScionLife family. You (and your back) will be very happy. :D

If you decide the cargo cover is not what you expected and you don't like it you could probably ask the dealer to keep it and subtract the cost from your total.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RPMxB
Congrats on your commitment to the xB and welcome to our ScionLife family. You (and your back) will be very happy. :D

If you decide the cargo cover is not what you expected and you don't like it you could probably ask the dealer to keep it and subtract the cost from your total.
Thought about that. Going to look closer and see how to use it. Maybe it is not that big a deal leave it clipped most of the time. Probably can support it somehow to make it flip back without unhooking it every time if it turns out to be a pain.

Anyone have this cargo cover out wants to share how they use it?
Old 06-26-2004, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone have this cargo cover out wants to share how they use it?
Here's a thread that discusses it:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=cargo+net
Old 06-26-2004, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With privacy glass it is very dificult to see through the windows back there. Take the cover back and get your money for this useless device.

Sean
Old 06-27-2004, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got Lexus IS300, and the seat makes my back hurt.
The seat is awesome (w/ leather and stuff), but the lumbar support is too low for me (6 ft tall).

xB seat is not as great as the IS300, but I don't hurt my back anymore.

the only thing that I hate about the box is the bumpy ride; Lexus was soft and solid,and the xB is too bumpy.

well in short, my back is happy with the xB
Old 06-27-2004, 05:48 AM
Jay
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

my other car is a FC3s vert with Tehin HA coil overs, sway bars and 18"s(for daily...17/16s for drift... and i hae to say the xB rides a little better...;) but it dont corner quite as good as the seven...

Quick Reply: Ride quality compared to last vehicle