Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Ripoff???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:53 PM
SL Member

Default Ripoff???

I just purchased my box today ( ) It wasn't easy to find an automatic in Polar white left, but I did. The only thing is that I had to pay an extra $699 for something called "toyguard or toyotaguard". Its some sort of undercoating and roadside assistance etc etc.
The dealer said that pretty much all cars in the south near water come with that extra.
Is that so?
Old 03-03-2007, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lmao, did he have the lube in his hand or was it on the desk............, i've never paid for it, sounds like they may have seen ya coming......................
Old 03-03-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ummm sounds like a ripoff to me..
Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 PM
RMS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sux, have fun with your new PW
Old 03-03-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, that must've been one of those "hidden charges"
Oh well, you'll get past that.
Have fun with the new box!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats! Have fun modding....PW is a great color...
Old 03-03-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup, ripoff..next time when you buy a car... try to negotiate also have fun with the box
Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 PM

You know theres legalities involved w/ this kind of product force placement. In Arizona its called "Arizona protection package". That should be a huge issue /w the whole pure pricing restrictions put in place by toyota. I would politly return and ask for $back then work up the ladder. Thats all I have to say about that
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yea, forgot about the pure pricing. Yeah, you can probably still get your money back. If not, contact Toyota Headquarters.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:10 PM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

your dealer is a liar.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Many of those actual Toyota extras, unless they include an application of some sort of mouse-milk to the car, are fully refundable if you decide you don't want them within a reasonable time. Yours may not be because it may involve some sort of 'coating.'

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to contact Scion directly about it, either via their toll free number or their web form. Got to their site, http://scion.com and go to "CONTACT" to get started. Have your information in front of you and give them just the straight facts.

Good luck!
Tom
Old 03-03-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

sorry to tell you ..but they burned you for that Money

your Box already came with that stuff
you made a good choice though..we love the box
Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want to tell everybody that the only benefits from toyogard is the dealer.same thing with the dealer fees.I DO NOT PAID THOSE EXTRA EVER,from the day i learned that those are BIG RIP OFFS.guess how i learned,i sold cars long time ago.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ToyoGuard is pretty much a South East Toyota only deal. It is not applied at the dealer. It is not thrown in during the finance procedures. It is on the Maroney sticker, clear as day, because it is applied at the port of entry.

About 90% of the new Toyotas in the SE have it. Some dealers put it on every single car, mine does on 99% of the Toys, but I don't put it on a single Scion unless the customer asks for it (yes it does happen).

It's a clear coat protectant, under coating (feel under one of the wheel wells, especially on a hot day, and you'll notice a tacky stubstance kind of like tar), scotchguarding, first oil change free (so now you have 4 free oil changes), towing, and the coolest feature is the rental car. Anytime you have a waranty repair that will keep the car at the dealer's overnight you can get up to $30/day from Toyota for a rental car reimbursement.

It's not a complete sham like a lot of places, but yes it does amount to extra profit for the dealer.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

RIPOFF
Old 03-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
ToyoGuard is pretty much a South East Toyota only deal. It is not applied at the dealer. It is not thrown in during the finance procedures. It is on the Maroney sticker, clear as day, because it is applied at the port of entry.
# Base Price is the cost of the car without options, but includes standard equipment and factory warranty. This price is printed on the Monroney sticker.
# Monroney Sticker Price (MSRP) shows the base price, the manufacturer’s installed options with the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, the manufacturer’s transportation charge, and the fuel economy (mileage). Affixed to the car window, this label is required by federal law, and may be removed only by the purchaser.
# Dealer Sticker Price, usually on a supplemental sticker, is the Monroney sticker price plus the suggested retail price of dealer-installed options, such as additional dealer markup (ADM) or additional dealer profit (ADP), dealer preparation, and undercoating.
(From http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/newcar.htm )
Seems odd that the dealer/port would put an optional extra installed at the port onto the Monroney sticker since that is supposedly the MSRP including the manufacturer installed options, not POE installed options which should be on the dealer sticker. Then again, SE Toyota seems to think they are allowed to make their own rules on everything. *sigh*

I'll have to dig into the fed regs on the Monroney to see how much wiggle room there is on just slapping anything on it.

Thanks for the info!

Tom
Old 03-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, *sigh* the USC Title 15, 1231-1233 considers the importer to be the same as the manufacturer in respect to the Monroney sticker, so they can add anything they want to prior to delivery to the dealer and include it as a manufacturer's option.

Tom
Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah it's messed up. worst case you got a crappy undercarraige spray roadside assistance and yer payment is only like 2 dollars more a month.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nickel and Dime Nickel and dime
Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gst does the same thing but in my opinon it is not worth the money but it is a way for them to make money its just part of the game

Quick Reply: Ripoff???