Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Rostra CC wiring clarification for XB

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rostra CC wiring clarification for XB

Finished installing the Rostra CC on my '06 XB. Took a couple hours and I'm an experienced mechanic. Just take your time. Found the installation book to be a little misleading as to identifying the correct wires to hook into and your perspective as to looking at the connector to tap into. Just be sure you're looking at each connector the same as in the illustration. You CAN get it backwards!

1st. On the '06 XB for the VSS it says to tap the Gray wire from cc to the violet/white wire on ECM. However, you have a 50/50 shot at getting this right. There are actually TWO violet wires w/ white. The one you want is the violet with the SOLID white strip, not the dotted white. I got it wrong and of course the cc did not work until contacting Tech. support and I went through a whole diagnostic routine... ugh!

2nd. In the manual it says this wire is in the #8 slot on the connector - THIS IS WRONG! That's the incorrect dotted white/violet. The correct slot is the #9. The illustration perspective is with the plug (black one) disconnected from ECM and looking at the male side - the side that actually slides into the ECM.

3rd. The lines in the Troubleshooting section for checking the system out are one line too high, as starting at A-4 through A-8. For example: A-4 should say "Control Switch "on", "Ignition "on", Push Brake Pedal.
When doing the checks it could be misleading, that's all.

4th. In Step 3, don't try and use the Factory Clip as stated. Just allow the cable to follow it's natural course and put a zip tie downstream where both the original and new cc come together. Don't crimp the cable in any way.

5th. In Step 1, it states to "pull the grommet from firewall and cut 1" slit". The grommet doesn't need to be pulled out - it can't be actually - and there is a 2nd membrane inside the one you cut through. I just cut through the firewall single membrane, pushed a "pulling" wire through, went to the inside of car and pulled the "pull" wire in, attached the harness and taped it good, then went back out and slowly, carefully, pulled the cc harness through until just the two white connectors were out plus an additional 3-4 inches, leaving all the other connectors inside the car where they belong.

I know some of these steps are out of order from the manual, but you'll figure it out. This CC works flawlessly, and as others have stated, you wouldn't know it was not installed at the factory.
Words of advice: Take your time. Give yourself 3-4 hours if necessary to do the job right the first time. READ THE DIRECTIONS THROUGH BEFORE STARTING. And, have someone else help you figure out the instructions before you do something you might regret. It will save you time in the end.

Hope this might help someone.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

zat for cruise control?

so, hows yours working out for you?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

...uh, yes, since that is the topic of the thread. Mine works flawlessly!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I wasnt sure what CC stood for?..
therefore, wasnt clear on what the thread really meant

looks like you did a good job on the write up
Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I installed the Rostra CC about a month ago, install was flawlessly pretty much, i connected to the wrong wire on the black connector, this write up would have been helpful when installing. it was a quick fix once i bought a multimeter and saw that i was getting no power from the wire i should have been getting power from.

did your kit come with the wireless remote, i was amazed at it for some reason, still am
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, fair enough. I'm going to call Rostra and see if they will fix the mistakes in the manual - which they need to do! They should.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As to the wireless remote (RF), I don't understand the need, which is ok. With all the electronics in the car I think that would just interfere with an irritable buzz... so, no, I didn't do the RF. Personally, I think anyone who does electical work, in your house or car, should be without a good volt/ohm meter. It saves poking wiring with a tester, which damages the wires - and these wires on this CC are very small! Good luck with yours!