Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]
View Poll Results: Due to the results of the crashed xb, would that stop you from purchasing an xB?
yes, and answer why in this forum topic
0%
no, and answer why in this forum topic
100.00%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toyota DNA

Old 01-22-2004, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Default SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toyota DNA

Inspired by topic: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5668

What kind of safety features will come standard on your Scion vehicle?

The impact absorbing structure of a Scion provides a body construction that can effectively absorb the energy in the event of a front, rear, or side collision. Also, it realizes an excellent occupant protection performance through the use of reinforcements and members that help to minimize cabin deformation.

ABS, front airbags, 3-point seatbelts for all passengers, and 3-across rear headrests will be standard on all Scion products. Our attention to detail and commitment to safety will ensure that our vehicles meet a high standard.

Side airbags are an available option on the xA.

Scion Safety ratings will be available shortly from NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). They will be testing Scions sometime in late January or early February 2004.

SOURCE: scion.com's FAQ

NHTSA results will be posted here:
2004 Scion xA

2004 Scion xB

---

My opinion is based on Toyota's history. To be honest I don't care about the condition of the vehicle as long as the party inside is safe. I've seen some serious crashed up corollas and I couldn't believe people actually were not hurt badly or killed (Small Sedan). This is what made me choose Toyota. Not to mention the same people said that they would not buy any other vehicle now but corollas. Remember you can always get another vehicle, but not another life. Toyota DNA passed onto the Scion...How much? I have concerns too, I have 2 sons and I own a Camry too. I trust Toyota based on thier safty history. What do you guys think? This is an important topic and I hope Toyota/Scion officials are paying close attention.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Default Re: SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Toyota DNA

Originally Posted by foxSCION
---

My opinion is based on Toyota's history. To be honest I don't care about the condition of the vehicle as long as the party inside is safe. I've seen some serious crashed up corollas and I couldn't believe people actually were not hurt badly or killed (Small Sedan). This is what made me choose Toyota. Not to mention the same people said that they would not buy any other vehicle now but corollas. Remember you can always get another vehicle, but not another life. Toyota DNA passed onto the Scion...How much? I have concerns too, I have 2 sons and I own a Camry too. I trust Toyota based on thier safty history. What do you guys think? This is an important topic and I hope Toyota/Scion officials are paying close attention.
My answer was "NO" based on Toyota's Safety history. I'd still purchase an xB, but would really examine the way I and others drive no matter what vehicle.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just keep in mind that at a higher rate of speed his airbag would have deployed (we hope).

My biggest concern is that I think such a small car needs side airbags. I tried to get them for my XA but they weren't available. I would have had to special-order my car, which would have meant a 3 to 4 month wait.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member

Wrecks are kind of odd. I've seen cars totaled in low speed impacts, but myself was rear ended with a 30mph difference and hit the car in front of me with no damage to any of the cars (wouldn't believe it except it actually happened to me). Then I was in a Prelude that was totaled after hydroplaning at 15mph into a water filled ditch.

I've been a bit paranoid driving our xB trac unit here, especially with Houston's notoriously bad drivers, but after looking at the pictures it's obvious that the crumple zones work and the design does exactly what its supposed to. Older cars tended to not take much damage in the collision but did often fatal damage to the passengers. New cars are made to evaporate in a wreck while keeping the passengers safe.

So to the question, no I'm not really concerned, I'm getting a hot lava xB as soon as it shows up on the allocation screen here :D
Old 01-22-2004, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I answered No, it wont stop me. It's called the "Crumble Zone" The better engineered, the safer. From the looks of it, the front end crumbled nicely. A safety feature to have would be a force field around the car that once it get hit, the force of the hit is actually transferred back to the cause of the hit (ie. the SUV driver while he/she is talking on the phone, eating nachos, reading a paper, typing on the laptop all at the same time ).
Old 01-22-2004, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everybody already said what I would of said!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 1NZFE
I answered No, it wont stop me. It's called the "Crumble Zone" The better engineered, the safer. From the looks of it, the front end crumbled nicely. A safety feature to have would be a force field around the car that once it get hit, the force of the hit is actually transferred back to the cause of the hit (ie. the SUV driver while he/she is talking on the phone, eating nachos, reading a paper, typing on the laptop all at the same time ).
1NZFE is right! they are meant to collapse [crumble] like that....

like the owner of the crashed xB noted in a response, the passenger area inside was not affected....pretty good for T-boning someone at 35mph....
Old 01-22-2004, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crumple Zone did it's job as it was designed for. The passenger cabin held up pretty good.

The recently totalled xB will not prevent me from purchasing an xB.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope :twisted:
Old 01-23-2004, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Based soley on that wreck, I'd still buy one. If you notice the A-pillar (at least on the passenger's side) it's still in-tact, which is one major thing the IIHS and NHTSA looks at. At 35 mph T-boning another car, and you walk away with only a bruised collar bone – I'd say that's pretty impressive. However, I am very anxious to see the results from the NHTSA.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Thank you all for the feedback. It's good to see people who understand the quality and the technology of a "safe" car. If Toyota/Scion could build a force shield around the car, they would! LOL Maybe in the future...

Old 01-24-2004, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the crumple zones and safety features in the wrecked xB seemed to work just fine...a 30 mph impact and he walked away with no major injury.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Banned
SL Member

If i found that the xB was a death trap, like the Ford Pinto, then hell yes i would cancel my order. The US government has installed such strict rules about crumple zones and the like, that basically any purchase should be better then car built 10 - 15 years ago. If your interested, i did a little digging for you, and this put a lot of my concerns to rest.

http://www.nasva.go.jp/assess/html2002e/as115.html

Hope this helps.