Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Scion xb is capable of great MPG!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion xb is capable of great MPG!

The data I'm presenting to you is for my 2006 scion xb 5 speed

This is my lifetime average since joint cleanmpg.com

My last two tanks were 43 & 44 MPG

Ive been hypermiling for a little over a year. I can tell you that your not going to be setting any land speed records but if you make the effort you get some great numbers.

The graph below has two sets of colors black lines are for 2008
red lines are 2007

The next graph is millage logs since i've started-please click on to see full log
http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG(US)&viewuser=CoasterToasterXB

I use lots of techniques to squeeze every drop out of my XB - If done correctly you can have a very cool looking car the also gets great gas mileage. I know this type of driving isn't for everybody. If you do want to work on getting MPG please visit cleanmpg.com

Hope all of you find this very interesting.

[/img]
Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Scion xb is capable of great MPG!

Originally Posted by TheRealBoxster
The data I'm presenting to you is for my 2006 scion xb 5 speed
This is my lifetime average since joint cleanmpg.com
... I know this type of driving isn't for everybody...
I don't know anything about hypermiling, and just drive my stock 06 5-speed gently. My averages for summer of 06 and 07 were 35 mpg.
http://aatherton06.home.insightbb.co..._xB/xB_MPG.htm
Old 04-13-2008, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the hyper drivin thing is just a bunch of tricks to get more fuel economy.

My big one is to only push the gas petal an inch and wait for the engine to come up to 3 grand, then shift gears. If it wont hold the speed in 5th, I down shift to 4th and tryto take it easy.

Also, engine brake, kill it at idle at long lights or rail road crossings, tail gating semis or other large trucks and when by your self, going the posted speed.

Since I have been dealing with back ups, traffic, house shopping, etc, my fuel economy is all over the place. So far worse 32, highest was 46.6 Last fill up was 5.003 gallons at 205 miles, about 40mpg.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Not that I like burning through my gas at all, but I have to commend you! There is absolutely no way on earth I could ever have the patience it would require to squeeze that kind of mileage out of my car. The only thing about these HUGE mpg claims people post up that baffles me is here in the Hampton Roads area the fastest and most efficient way to travel is interstate 64. The average speed drivers in this area are doing is about 65mph... If I were to drive at 65mph constant even with an intake, headers, and exhaust.... My ride would not post up better than a 30mpg average. I just don't see how some of these claims are even possible (less cutting out the floor board and Fred Flinstoning it between traffic lights). Congrats to you either way.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so to get those numbers you are like shutting the car off at stop lights and when you go down hills and stuff?
Old 04-13-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NOT DOWNHILL! lol

If you turn your car off then your steering column will lock and you will end up a wrecked car.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do turn the car off at stopped lights.

1/4 of each tank is roughly wasted on idling says the folks at cleanmpg.com

So I spend lots of timing being more observant watching light patterns so i dont have to stop much.

There is just not one thing to do - but everybody is capable of getting more out of there XB's.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by snowromance
so to get those numbers you are like shutting the car off at stop lights ... and stuff?
I suspect that is just a small part of it. The main part is removal of the testosterone additive to allow calculated gentle driving.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

city driving - Does leaving stop signs at no higher than 2k RPM help?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My last tank I got 412 total, and thats with a turbo, now its rare for that to happen but keeping it constant at 55-60mph its doable!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I do turn the car off at stopped lights.

1/4 of each tank is roughly wasted on idling says the folks at cleanmpg.com

So I spend lots of timing being more observant watching light patterns so i dont have to stop much.

There is just not one thing to do - but everybody is capable of getting more out of there XB's.
yea your exactly right. if i see a red light coming up head i try not to use my brakes at all until i know that i HAVE to use them so i dont hit the cars infront. because accelerating uses a healthy portion of gas and when you dont need to accelerate from a dead stop it saves you quite a few mpgs
Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in real estate they say" Location , location , location"

For getting better MPG i say " momentum, momentum, easy on the pedal"

I never understand why people race me to a red light - and what ____es them off even more is when i catch up them at the light -coasting and then pass them
Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shan14
city driving - Does leaving stop signs at no higher than 2k RPM help?
Yes, that's what I do in summer. Having the windows down, sunroof open, listening to the little resonance at 2K rpm, makes it easier to drive in that economical way. Averages 35.
In winter with the car closed up, it's harder to drive that way, and then there's the winter gas and engine running below 185F in freezing weather with all the shopping stops, so I let the mileage fall where it may. Averages 30.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This last winter i installed a Electronic Block heater - to help get my car warmed up in the morning - i have a timer and it goes off 1 1/2 hrs before i need it.

When I don't use it or I'm at girls house the engine is very cold but when i do use it its near 100 degrees. Car warms up much faster and i aget better MPG also. My electric bills have not gone up very much either!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont know ive researched the whole "hypermiling" thing. it sounded incredibly lame and on top of all that, incredibly dangerous. tailgating semis for draft purposes? is an extra 5mpg really worth your life or your passenger's?

i drive very gas mileage conscious but will never perform any of the ridiculous "hypermiling" techniques.

easy on the gas, keep it 65mph or below, use as much engine braking as possible. done. 35mpg.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to tell you i never have performed any of these dangerous maneuvers. I drive locally 75 % and 25% highway. The drafting semis is a big misnomer in the hypermiling world.

Like I said before its not for everybody! It is a great way to save gas and money. It also has helped me avoid numerous accidents I'm sure I would have been otherwise.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This last winter i installed a Electronic Block heater - to help get my car warmed up in the morning.. Car warms up much faster and i aget better MPG also....
That's good for the first start. But not for errands. If it's 25F, I will drive 5 miles to the fitness club and the engine will just have reached 180F. When I start it again after an hour and half, it has fallen to 50F. I drive 5 miles to a grocery, and the engine is back to 180F. When I come out, it's fallen to under 100F. A few miles to the post office, and so on. In short hop errands the engine never reaches full operating temperature before it is shut off and cools down. And if the heater is run while the engine is warming up, it may never reach 180F in errands. So the engine spends most of the time in the low to mid 100's and only gets 30 mpg. A block heater would not help that.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Andrew1782
NOT DOWNHILL! lol

If you turn your car off then your steering column will lock and you will end up a wrecked car.
There are 4 positions for the ignition. Lock, Acc, On & Start.
Acc does not lock the steering column. You'll lose power steering and power brakes, but you can still steer and stop.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

That is awesome!
As someone who has played the MPG game myself, I know it's do-able! I've gotten 43.88 mpg and 486 miles out of a tank just by driving very conservatively, rolling up to stop signs and slowing traffic in neutral, and limiting top speed to 65mph and under, but doing NOTHING stupid like tailgating semis or doing 45mph on the freeway.
Really, I've found that anything over 3,000 rpms is wasting gas, whether in town or on the highway, and I have what I call a 10/70 rule: never exceeding 70mph for more than 10 seconds.
It really is amazing what kind of mileage these cars are capable of. My 5 speed was rated EPA 33mpg Highway, and since my commute has become just 6 miles one way in town, my mileage is still averaging 34s (all city) just driving normally since I put the stock tires back on!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As a truck driver, I really hope no one on these forums is stupid or retarded enough to actually try drafting a large truck. When doing so, you not only restrict your field of vision AND narrow your focus to maintaining a ludicrously close distance at the cost of paying attention to all other factors in driving. In addition, if they are a good driver, you force them to slow down in order to make 'slower' emergency stops, which means you are probably burning more total fuel since the driver will be loosing momentum and having to regain it when 'the tailgating DA' finally moves on. For anyone who tailgates for 'mpg', unless you are nearly touching the bumper, the gains aren't that good. And to close, I hope anyone who does this only has vehicle damage in the wreck they eventually cause. Safe driving > MPG. Period.

(Edit to add: This post is not directed at anyone who has posted, since I think even the OP stated he does not draft, but more as a general 'please, don't do it')

Now that I am off my soap box ... =) Wow. I am amazed at some of the numbers posted, and will have to check out that site for tips to improve my own MPG.

Thank you for sharing this, and the cleanMPG site.

Quick Reply: Scion xb is capable of great MPG!