Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Scion xB reliability question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member

Default Scion xB reliability question

Hey, I was looking at getting a scion xb as my back up car. But after reading through yalls posts i see alot of yall complaing about stuff falling off and stuff breaking. Is this a common problem? Im comming from owning a RX7 and i cant afford the constant upkeep of 2 cars. I need something relighable thats not going to have parts breaking or falling off or anything like that. So far these things meet all my needs, Comfy, spacious, good gas millage and a pretty decent factory system. The relighablity factor is all thats bothering me.

I love owning cars that you dont pass a million of them on the road everyday. And i dont really notice that many XB's out there which is really nice.

Also
Is there anyway of making these things RWD? and do they come with LSD?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

no LSD, unless you buy in the bad part of town.....
Yeah you can do RWD, but it will take alot

the only thing that it seems that you cant keep in one peice for very long is the windsheild.....
Old 07-15-2006, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member

lol LSD = limited slip diffrential (both wheels spinning instead of peg legging it)

I read about the grill or something falling off in the "you know you own a scion when" thread.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I know what LSD stands for........ and no the car doesnt come with one....

and the grille is held on with little push clips... so if you loose em yeah the grille is bound to fall off
Old 07-15-2006, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

darn, I didn't get any acid with my car. No wonder people say xB's are funny looking!
Yes, xB's are reliable, very roomy, Toyota qualty, and great gas mileage for the anount of room. For some people it's an acquired taste, so the bottom line is wether you like the xB or hate it. Stock xB's stay together for the most part, the more mods you do the more likely things are going to fall off, especially if the work is done by an amateur.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PBflorida
darn, I didn't get any acid with my car. No wonder people say xB's are funny looking!
Yes, xB's are reliable, very roomy, Toyota qualty, and great gas mileage for the anount of room. For some people it's an acquired taste, so the bottom line is wether you like the xB or hate it. Stock xB's stay together for the most part, the more mods you do the more likely things are going to fall off, especially if the work is done by an amateur.
The xb is definatley an acquired taste kinda like a bottle of wine.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nothing has ever fallen off of mine (knocks on wood) and it's not like your tranny is going to fall out on the highway. Maybe a grill insert will fall out when you hit a huge puddle.

Pull the trigger.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

the only problems I have had were caused by me
Old 07-15-2006, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

11 months in an xB, several long trips at 80 MPH. Nothing has fallen off, no warranty work, just two oil changes.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member

Default Definitely Reliable

You should have no worries about reliability with an Xb. I've had my '06 box since late last Aug and have racked up 33k miles with no need to visit the dealership for service (outside of the 3 free oil changes). I have kept up with oil changes every 5k miles, Castrol GTX and a Purolator Pure One filter. I did the 30k service by changing the air filter, plugs, and oil myself. The tires are still good (rotatation at 5k is a good idea but not always necessary), the alignment still holds, and basically it has been hassle free. The AC especially has been decent! The only problem has been carrying cargo. I solved the interior scratch problem by getting a large peice of carpet from Lowes to lay out in the cargo area and over the backs of the seats (folded up when not in use). As far as the windshield "problems", that is basically a problem of the road conditions where you are. And the upright angle of the windshield means fewer deflecting hits, just more solid ones. So far only a tiny scratch on mine (of course now I'll get a rock thru it since I said that).
Old 07-15-2006, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone pushes their xB it's me. I live in Germany and drive 80+ MPH on the Autobahn DAILY and haven't had a single problem at all. Are there a couple rattle and squeaks inside, yeah, I kinda expect that from a cheap car that I have pulled the whole interior out to do a stereo in. If you are looking for a reliable daily car, the xB is it.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member

Anything that's broken on my Xb is due to me modding it etc. Krazy glue work fine for the mistakes, foam weatherstriping for the rattles once in a while. It reminds me of my old 77 VW camper that really had windshield problems, same size motor and just as reliable.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are 2 xb's in my family. My wife has had hers since October of 04 and I just bought one for myself about a month ago. We have not had a problem on my wifes car since we bought. They are very reliable so don't worry about that.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Definitely Reliable

"The only problem has been carrying cargo. I solved the interior scratch problem by getting a large peice of carpet from Lowes to lay out in the cargo area and over the backs of the seats (folded up when not in use). "

I also carry around a U-Haul moving blanket. You might want to check this as well.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...114&highlight=

I scratched my windshield cleaning it with newspaper. Careful, they are "softer" than most windshields.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It's made my Toyota, it's reliable. I have 75,000 miles on mine and no problems.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd agree, the only things that fall off are self induced. I know alot of people experience rattles here and there though. I wouldn't worry about reliablitiy. Most of the parts have been in production for many years. So by now, they've worked out the kinks. I'm at two years, 18k miles and supercharged and have had no problems yet (except a loose altenator bolt, but that was my fault). Hope all our advice helps you make the right decision!
Old 07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member

i dont plan on moding it, i just need a car that i can fit more then 1 person in, that i dont have to put oil in every 1k miles, do maintence on ect...

Only mods i might do are extierer mods, body kit, rims, custom paint job ect.. I have no desire to make this thing go fast.

I am disappointed in it not having LSD though, Is there any diffrential you can put in from any other car so it will have it?
Old 07-15-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. You probably could with bags of money. And it would void your warrenty.

You're buying one for all the right reasons. Especially if you keep it stock. Get in and turn the key.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is my one-year anniversary with my xB, and it has been flawless.

You see people complaining on forums because nobody posts "Hey, I have nothing to talk about!"

RichC
Old 07-15-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
You see people complaining on forums because nobody posts "Hey, I have nothing to talk about!"

RichC
haha, funny because its true!

Quick Reply: Scion xB reliability question