Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Scion xB reliability question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think one of these for the Vitz 1NZ-FE may fit, but it's a lot of dough, doubly so since you're voiding the tranny warranty:

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_lsd_mechanical.html

Why do you want an LSD in an xB anyway? Gonna race it on a track?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member

lol no i have my rx7 for racing, cars with LSD handle better and you get better control over them on the road. Who the hell would try to race with a 108hp van?
Old 07-15-2006, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if you are talking about control, the xB has ABS, EBD, VSC and TRAC to keep you from losing it. You can turn off TRAC if you want a little wheelspin. It's supposed to simulate a 1-way LSD with the ABS.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had my Box since October and have only had it in the shop for two things. One was a squeak that was bothering me, and that turned out to be a defective hubcap. The other incident was a slight popping in the seat under hard braking and cornering. One of the rails needed adjusting (according to tech). Of all the cars I've owned in the Box's price range, the Box is definately the best!
Old 07-16-2006, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Toyota" means "reliable" in almost any language, and I doubt that the xB will disappoint.

Personally, I have no desire whatsoever to find out just how squirrelly a fwd car with lsd would be on an icy road. Their rwd cousins are bad enough...

Anybody who's going there should let me know, so I can be sure to go somewhere else...
Old 07-16-2006, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brambling
I think one of these for the Vitz 1NZ-FE may fit, but it's a lot of dough, doubly so since you're voiding the tranny warranty:

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_lsd_mechanical.html

Why do you want an LSD in an xB anyway? Gonna race it on a track?
Why would a TRD part void your warranty?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 5 year / 60,000 mi drivetrain warranty for this part would be replaced by TRD's warranty on this part, which is nothing:

"There is no warranty for the TRD parts or for problems occurring in vehicles to which they have been installed."

http://trdparts.jp/english/notice.html
Old 07-16-2006, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jhhnn
"Toyota" means "reliable" in almost any language, and I doubt that the xB will disappoint.

Personally, I have no desire whatsoever to find out just how squirrelly a fwd car with lsd would be on an icy road. Their rwd cousins are bad enough...

Anybody who's going there should let me know, so I can be sure to go somewhere else...

Ice is the least of my worries seeing as i live in tampa FL. If we get ice 90% of the people on the road would end up in a accident the first day. I just prefer having a lsd and having both wheels spin. If you ever driven a car with and without lsd you can feel the diffrence in handling and stuff. not that im going to go flying down the road in the car but its still nice to have.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brambling
The 5 year / 60,000 mi drivetrain warranty for this part would be replaced by TRD's warranty on this part, which is nothing:

"There is no warranty for the TRD parts or for problems occurring in vehicles to which they have been installed."

http://trdparts.jp/english/notice.html
The only way this would void your warranty is if the installed part contributed to the failure. We have laws to protect us from delaerships voiding warranties for mods that do not contribute to a failure.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah well if you have any problems with your tranny they're going to blame it on this and unless you put the original back on who's to say they're wrong? If you install stuff like this you're pretty much taking full responsiblity for the tranny. I don't have a clue if TRAC should be off or on if you installed a 1.5 way LSD anybody know? I'm guessing off.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member

doesnt matter rx8's come with it and they have LSD, im assuming it wouldnt be hooked up though.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well anyway to your original post yes they are reliable. I drove a Toyota Echo, which is the same chassis, for over 75,000 miles and never had any mechanical problems.

As far as people complaining, it's more the nature of people here than the car. I mean, the car show prejudice thread
Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

21,000 miles an not a single trip to the dealership for anything other than oil changes. So for so good!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i slammed into a fragged up curb at 5 mph it hit so hard it kicked the hub cap 30 feet and dented the shiznight out of the wheel and the car pulls just a bit to the right. takes 15 seconds to change lanes, which i think is perrty good example of the cars alighnment holding, gonna go get it fixed right now as well as an oil change...
Old 07-18-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably the single thing I like best about the box IS the way it handles. Have you test driven one? The light weight and small length make this thing very nimble. It is easy to dart in and out of traffic. Plus, it corners like a go cart. It dosent feel under-powered to me....though it won't be pushing you back into the seat. The toyota echo, same motor and platform, I believe is considered to be one of the lowest "true cost to own" vehicles out there. Should translate to the Box as well. Very reliable.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member

no i plan on test driving one this week (thurs hopefully) since im off work. also wanna see what the insurance is going to be, im assuming low but its a brand new car so it may be higher. Hell my RX7 is cheaper then my 96 sentra right now for insurance by like 700.00 a year. So if insurance isnt ALOT ill probally be getting a LtO from Scion.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a really good ride for the Echo platform, the swaybar, extra weight, and wheelbase help. On my first test drive we went over some railroad tracks and the ride was much better than my old Echo. I almost bought it right there but it was a Kermit green ride with TVs in the headrests, not exactly what I wanted.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I test drove one for the first time yesterday and was very impressed. I took an automatic for a spin around the dealer lot, then took a manual (which is what I want) for the 5 mile test. Got to say I was really surprised at how well it did accelerate with only a 108HP. Anyway, I have to say this thread is very reassuring after some previous car experiences. I am hoping to be an owner on here in the next month or so.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:26 AM

I have 163,080 no problem at all perfect car still has the stock clutch too ;)
Old 02-15-2010, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't get the desire to NEED limited slip .....the won't pegleg that bad with all the electronic controls or you have bad tires. i can barely spin the tires on my xB with the aftermarket wheels on and i have no other need to try. I'm low and slow and dodgin the pothole!

Quick Reply: Scion xB reliability question