Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

scion xB...reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member

Default scion xB...reliable?

hey everyone...
i'm new to this board...i've been reading quite a bit on here for the past couple of weeks, and i love how much information is available on this board...this is one of the few boards i know that isn't ruined by "drama"...

anyway, i've loved the xB from the first time i saw a picture of one...well it was more like a billboard on the side of the jersey turnpike...
it's now time for me to trade in my current ride for a new car, and i've been set on getting an xB, but the recent posts i've read about the clutch kind of worry me...
i have a 70 miles roundtrip commute to work everyday, i drive around 80mph on the highway, and when in the city, well, let's just say i like to move...and so for all these reasons, i'd hate to get an xB and find out afterwards that it can't handle that...
so i thought i'd ask all you knowledgeable guys & girls out there: how reliable is the xB?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default my two cents

IMO, as long as you take care of a vehicle, most will last a long time. A scion in my opinion is as reliable as any import. NO car is perfect, but I think you will be impressed with a scion.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member

Never had an issue with any Toyota product. Had an 86 toyota pickup that I sold this year. still ran great. had a camry with over 180,000 on it, the seat were worn but it still ran great. I expect nother but the same with my xb.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iBox, you seem to be asking if the xB can handle being pushed hard. You should be aware going in that this is not a performance car. It's basically a Toyota Echo with box-shaped sheet metal. Little bitty engine.

IMO, the car is most comfortable being driven conservatively.

Historically, the Echo platform is possibly the most reliable one ever marketed, and there are millions and millions of them worldwide. The xB variant seems to be following a similar pattern, if Consumer Reports reliability survey is any indication, although there are somewhat more complaints about "body integrity" issues than you'd expect. Still, the car is "above average" in their table.

But I think that most owners of cars like this don't routinely push them to their limits. There's no telling what would happen to reliability if they did.

RichC
Old 12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member

Had mine almost a year now. I don't push my car every day, but I do tend to push it harder than my buddies who also drive xB's. I typically shift at 4-5k.....cruise at 80 on the interstate most of the time. If you get the 5 speed, you shouldn't have a performance problem unless your looking for a racecar...which if thats the case you may want to consider something else.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive 80 miles round trip for work and mine is doing fine with 6500miles so far. It ain't no race car but will do 80 with no problems. City driving is fine too as it is easy to handle in traffic. You can idle in 1st while in bumper to bumper traffic and it will move along at less than 4mph at idle. Just give yourself enough room between the car in front and you will save yourself leg cramps.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

According to Consumer Reports, the 04 xB's have EXCELLENT relibility, with less than 4%in problems in each catagory!!

Keep in mind also that the 04 was the fist year in the U.S.- what Im trying to say, is it is very rare to find a first year car (of any type) with less that 4% of problems...

05' and 06's are equally as good, if not better!!
Old 12-02-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Plus, keep in mind that even though this is the first year in the US, they've been refining this vehicle in Japan. This engine/tranny/platform sees duty as several cars in Toyotas lineup all around the world. I wouldn't question reliablilty any more than another car. But, if you like performance or spirited driving, I hope you like the old Brittish roadsters... just like them it's "just enough", no more.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It's reliable. Buy it...

...and buy it from me. You want Polar White? I got one thats gonna be here in two weeks.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member

thanks a lot for all the feedback...
i'm definitely sold on the xB's face...i can't find any other car on the market that visually appeals to me anywhere as much as the xB...
i just basically wanted to get your opinions as to whether it would handle what i plan to put it through...
now that being said, i'm not a race car driver or anything like that...
i wasn't thinking that 80mph on the highway for 70 miles/day would be considering pushing the car hard...i consider that reasonable usage...
reading the post about the clutch failing after 20k miles kinda scared me, because i know i'm going to get to 20k miles real fast...
so i was just wondering if anyone else basically has the same use for their xB, and what their take on it is...
the feedback has been great thanks again everyone...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In our first month of ownership we've put 1800 miles on it......reliability up to this point has been perfect.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PeruzziScion
It's reliable. Buy it...

...and buy it from me. You want Polar White? I got one thats gonna be here in two weeks.
manual?...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^Yup, manual! We got what you want at Peruzzi Scion. I would obviously expect you to buy it locally and I was just kidding around but if you seriously want it let me know and it can be yours when it gets in...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the car maker's name ends in a vowel, you probably will never have any problems.
ToyotA
MitsubishI
HondA
MazdA
DaihatsU
SubarU
SuzukI

I guess Nissan is the only exception to this rule.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member

ibox, my xB is now nearly 2 years old with 33000 miles on it (1/2 stop and go in Dallas traffic, 1/2 highway miles out of state) and it still drives like the day I bought it. Never had a problem... go get one and enjoy it. Nate.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm from PA but work in NYC (and stay up here during the week) - I've had my box 8 months now, have almost 10K miles on it, and I've had no problems. I usually head home every weekend, Rt 78 - about 70mph (90miles 1 way), and I drive in and around NYC area (the roads up here are NOT the greatest), and the box handles them fairly well. It does ride a little rougher than some others in its class, but I've read that can be fixed with different springs.

I will say that this car is a blast to drive in the city - very easy to weave in and out of traffic (hence my box's name being Weaver). Although I've gotten hailed as a cab more than once (someone even tried getting in while I was stopped at a light - good thing I always lock my doors!)

I would recommend this car to anyone, and I would easily buy another one as well. AND I would recommend going to Peruzzi - even though I didn't buy mine there, they were extremely professional and courteous, and were willing to go above and beyond the call of duty!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would recommend going to Peruzzi - even though I didn't buy mine there, they were extremely professional and courteous, and were willing to go above and beyond the call of duty!
Wow, thanks a lot. I do what I can and I make sure our Scion people do their best as well. So yeah, if anybody needs anything dont hesitate to call. Even if its just a question...
Old 12-03-2005, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I actually bought my xB from "Reliable Scion" in Springfield, Missouri. they wouldn't lie to you, would they? ;)
Old 12-03-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Romanova
If the car maker's name ends in a vowel, you probably will never have any problems.
ToyotA
MitsubishI
HondA
MazdA
DaihatsU
SubarU
SuzukI

I guess Nissan is the only exception to this rule.
You got it right there are lots of problems with nissan take the titan for instance look at the TSB out for the Titan. There are also problems with the Z.

Quick Reply: scion xB...reliable?