Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

settle for automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default settle for automatic?

hey guys, im waiting on my 06 xA, want a black 5 speed and apparently they're nearly impossible to come by according to the dealership. they have preferenced it 3 times and looked for swaps with no luck. I wasnt planning on modding the car. I've already been through that with my 92 Civic Hatch, and my 88 Corolla GTS, so i just wanted stick for the gas mileage and lower price. I might settle for a black automatic though, just so i can get it sooner and play with my new toy. My GTS is still running alright, but I dont want to take it into this winter again, anyone got any reasons why i should stick it out and wait for the stick?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

Did you test drive both? After test driving an automatic, I had to wait 4 days for the dealer to get a manual I could test drive. Once I did, there was no question in my mind.

IMHO the manual would be worth the wait. I could have had an automatic several weeks sooner than a manual. It didn't make the wait easy, but I'm very glad I held out.

The manual was (and is) way more fun to drive around town than the automatic I test drove - no contest! Plus you would have another ~$700 to spend on something else.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're willing to wait a few months, then why can't they order it for you?- and check within 5 hours from your home and not just the same small area
Old 09-29-2005, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want a manual, get a manual.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you would have endless regrets on a automatic.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i couldnt wait so i went with the auto biggest mistake of my life i regret it every day when i start it up to leave for work i suggest waiting
Old 09-29-2005, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member

Definatley get the manual. Wait as long as you have to.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I personally refuse to drive any car with less than 250HP that isn't a manual. . . and any car that had more, I'd probably want an auto, but would settle on either.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While I agree that a manual can sometimes be more fun to drive, in normal daily driving it annoys me more then it entertains me. My tc is the second auto I have owned, and prefer it to a manual for where I live. The only one of my friends that drives a manual anymore is my friend with his evo viii, and that of course is an exception;)
Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the automatic is alot slower than the manual
Old 09-29-2005, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got an automatic because of traffic. if it weren't for that, i would get a manual.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a manual.. first car with a manual, very easy to learn how to drive with it. It's definately ALOT more fun than an automatic. the xA/xB are just to darn sluggish with the auto...it's worth the wait if you can hold off for the man... if not, and need something asap, then go with the auto.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would wait...auto sucks...well it does have it's pros though, traffic is such a _____...but overall manual is better and if you really want the 5spd then get the 5 spd dont settle for something that you didnt want in the first place
Old 09-30-2005, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

never settle, also, maybe try a diff. dealership, the ones at the guys at the one your at might not be up to par, i would check other dearships, maybe one a little further away, and if they say the same thing, just have it ordered
Old 09-30-2005, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Def go and wait for the manual. I rather enjoy shifting even in city traffic. It tends to keep me more alert and the get up and go is there when I want it.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

problem is ive been waiting like 2 months already with no luck, i know if im spending this much money i should get exactly what i want, its my first NEW car, but i dont want o have to drive the gts in the winter again, i guess i need to call a couple other dealerships, but the guy ive been working with said he will have info for me by the end of next week on whether or not the next allocation has my 5speed or not, then hes going to try swapping again to see if he can find one...
Old 09-30-2005, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe if you ask the nearest 20 Scion dealers to order the same car in for you, Scion will think the whole area suddenly needs a lot more black manual transmission xAs, and send at least one in
Old 09-30-2005, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well...patience is a virtue. Do not, I repeat DO NOT settle for automatic, you'll regret your choice...seeing as how you want 5 spd, just work with the dealer you're working with now or like latino said "check other dealerships, maybe one a little further away"
Old 10-01-2005, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my stick shift 06 for 2 days now. It's definitely a nice gearbox, feels clean and crisp, the throw isn't even very long, so I don't think I'll be bothering to get a short shifter (and I'm a sports car guy, I have a MR2 turbo and a Z06, so that's saying something). The clutch travel is very short, and the feel is pretty soft, almost like the spring's broken but it does the job for now. The motor seems to have a fairly lightweight flywheel compared to typical stock vehicles, so the motor revs up and down pretty nimbly. The combination makes for quick clean upshifts and downshifts. The pedals are even placed well for heel-toe downshifting without having to think about it.

Hold out for the manual. It'll be worth it Autos just suck.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GrantR
I've had my stick shift 06 for 2 days now. It's definitely a nice gearbox, feels clean and crisp, the throw isn't even very long, so I don't think I'll be bothering to get a short shifter (and I'm a sports car guy, I have a MR2 turbo and a Z06, so that's saying something). The clutch travel is very short, and the feel is pretty soft, almost like the spring's broken but it does the job for now. The motor seems to have a fairly lightweight flywheel compared to typical stock vehicles, so the motor revs up and down pretty nimbly. The combination makes for quick clean upshifts and downshifts. The pedals are even placed well for heel-toe downshifting without having to think about it.

Hold out for the manual. It'll be worth it Autos just suck.
You said it. Auto's do suck. I had a 300zx auto, and I regretted getting it. I should have waited till I found a manual.

Quick Reply: settle for automatic?