Several XB issues, (06 auto)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member

Default Several XB issues, (06 auto)

06 auto xb, like 3700 miles on it.

Wondering if i should address these issues with the dealership

1) Brakes squeak occasionally esp after being wet

2) Transmission sticks occasionally, mostly when blue light is on, but once on the highway the transmission stuck at 4000 rpm regardless of what i did on the gas for about 10-15 seconds or so

3) Sometimes the car is reluctant to start. Maybe once every 30-40 starts it is hesitant, and tonight when it was cold it was hesitant for 3-4 seconds.

Anyone have any advice or similar experiences. Is this stuff to worry about or just standard stuff for any car.

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 11-03-2006, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) breaks generally squeak when they are wet
2) overdrive will not kick in when the cool engine temp light is on for your tranny's own good meaning it wont shift into 4th gear
3) i dunno what to tell ya about that one

i would say you really dont have anything to worry about
Old 11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

Default XB issues

blacklisted wrote
1) breaks generally squeak when they are wet
2) overdrive will not kick in when the cool engine temp light is on for your
tranny's own good meaning it wont shift into 4th gear
3) i dunno what to tell ya about that one

1. I agree, my breaks squeel first thing in the morning. Look at the rotors and you will see spots of rust, which is normal because of bare metal exposed to the elements. Once rust is wiped away after first use, squeeling goes away.
2. Blue light info is in drivers manual, the overdrive does not operate till engine warms up. Then cool engine light goes out and trans. shifts normally.
3. I was also used to engines starting up sooner before I got my Scion. Having to spin the little engine 2 to 4 seconds to get it started just seemed wrong. I was used to just having to barely turn the engine over to start it in my GMC. But after reading many posts about this issue, it seems to be normal. I still catch myself not getting the engine started first try. If this still concerns you, by all means take it to your dealer and have it looked at.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine takes an extra turnover or two to get going as well. My Ford Ranger before that started on the first revolution. I noticed this morning it seemed like it took even more as it was 30 degrees.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member

winter gas blend will cause hesitation when starting your car. anyone have any ideas about the rattling dash boards? ive had my car for 3 months this damn thing rattles more than any car ive ever owned
Old 11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member

Amen on the rattling dash. I think my subwoofer may have loosened it up, lol, but still what a noisy annoyance.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slownlow
... anyone have any ideas about the rattling dash boards? ive had my car for 3 months this damn thing rattles more than any car ive ever owned
Not a rattle in 10,000 miles here. Has your dash been removed, or any work done behind it? Maybe this thread will help:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ttle+dashboard
Old 11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

engine is cold, it will take longer to start, you also have to let the engine warm up before taking it on the highway or you will stick it i a hihger gear until the engine has warmed up
Old 11-03-2006, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by slownlow
... anyone have any ideas about the rattling dash boards? ive had my car for 3 months this damn thing rattles more than any car ive ever owned
Not a rattle in 10,000 miles here. Has your dash been removed, or any work done behind it? Maybe this thread will help:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ttle+dashboard
only thing removed was to install cd player, but it ratteled long before that. the fuse cover rattles so i took it off thinking that would fix it, nope there is metal behind the plastic dash that rattles together. it sounds like air comes through the windshield somewhere like its not sealed good. my 88 s10 with nearly 250k miles i had years ago had less rattles than this thing
Old 11-03-2006, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member

I've found that the dash speaker grills rattle like mad. Still noodling on how to get them to stop.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I found that if I`m in a hurry in the morning and dont give my box long enough to warm up and the blue cold temp lamp is still on & my trans shifts a little funny , so I installed a remote start and the cars always warm before driving and no problems with funny shifting .
Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by GAWBoX
I've found that the dash speaker grills rattle like mad. Still noodling on how to get them to stop.
i had this problem too those things are really loose i just took it to the dealer and they fixed it. i think they just added some foam or sound deadening material.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a general TSB on that sort of thing, and what they did is add stick-on felt to the four attachment tabs on each speaker grill.

I didn't find that particular one, but here's another 'noise' TSB for our boxes...
http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/nv00803.pdf

For a list of TSBs, look here:
http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/00_tsb_list.html

When I first got my xB it had some assorted rattles and buzzes, but those were taken care of, and there have been none for the past year and a half, other than a small buzz from the speedo housing that I took care of in a couple minutes.

C'mon, it's an econo box. :D

Tomas
Old 11-04-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Transmission is electronically controlled. It doesn not shift into 3rd gear until the car gets slightly warmed up or until you hit over 4000rpms. Perfectly normal.

But it should shift into 3rd (but not into overdrive) even when cold, when you exceed something like 4300rpms.

Then, there is a second step. Overdrive does not engage until the engine is fully warmed up. Again, that's normal.

These cars think for themselves. :D

I see this happen every morning (in hot or cold weather).
Old 11-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh! Just thought of another nasty, nasty noise my box suddenly got while on a trip. Sounded like the entire right side of the dash was involved.

It was a car wash token in the bottom of the glove box.

Tomas
Old 11-04-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Like Tomas said it's an econo box, and for the price I think we got a heck of a deal.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my 93 pickup takes 2-4 sec to get started... its been like this for a while. i dont worry about it neither should u guys
Old 11-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Oh! Just thought of another nasty, nasty noise my box suddenly got while on a trip. Sounded like the entire right side of the dash was involved.

It was a car wash token in the bottom of the glove box.

Tomas
Tomas as well as everyone else nailed this issue. I took my box back for the rattle TSB. Also, i have seen where owners have found everything from loose change, CDs/DVDs, sunglasses and jewlery in any one of the 1500 compartments rattlling around making noise.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Speaking if those 1500 compartments, we all could really use a set of these pads to make 'em super useful. :D

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=112245

I can toss my glasses, sunglasses, whatever, into any of those cubbies and not worry about them all tumbling out the next time I get a little 'spirited' with my driving. Well worth the minor cost (makes things lay there quietly, too...).

Tomas
Old 11-05-2006, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

AX002-06 BASE GRADE AUDIO HEAD UNIT CHANGES CHANNELS BY ITSELF (REVISED)
6/2/2006 - 2006 model year Scion tC, xA, and xB vehicles.
I complained about that, and they looked at me like I was an idiot, even when it did it for them
AU004-03 SINGLE CD PLAYER PAUSE
8/29/2003 - 2004 Scion xA & xB. Some customers may experience intermittent pauses during use of the Single CD Player in the 2004 Scion xA and xB. The Scion Single CD Player has been updated with a new microprocessor.

same with that one
AC007-04 A/C COOLING PERFORMANCE (REVISED)
2/16/2006 - 2004 – 2005 model year Scion xB vehicles.

In high ambient temperature areas, some 2004 – 2005 model year Scion xB owners may feel that the A/C system does not blow cold enough air. This procedure provides a method to improve this condition.

NOTE: Refer to TSB No. AC002–04, “A/C Not Cold Enough,” for instructions to adjust the air mix cable.

yet another one of the things I complained about

Quick Reply: Several XB issues, (06 auto)