First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Soon to be new Xb owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Soon to be new Xb owner

I am new to the group, but am glad to find scionlife.com.
I am not the average Scion buyer, I am 57 and have begun looking around for a replacement for my mini-van a Pontiac Montana. I need a large van because I fly Radio Control airplanes. I saw the Xb many times, but never considered one untill the wife and I stopped and looked one over at the dealer last week.
Up till then, the front runner to replace the van was a Saturn Vue, or a Toyota Highlander. Both a little expensive, so I thought I would have to get a used one. Then I saw the prices on the Xb, and decided to look one over.
I think I am sold, now the tough decision, order one, or look for one on the dealers lots. They seem to be hard to find. I am in no big hurry, the old van still runs great, but has over 130,000 miles on it and won't last forever.
Thanks for this fourm.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Grab one now before they are all gone. No 2007 models. 2006 is it. Find a dealer model and buy.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as telemike says, get them before they're gone !

as for "not the average Scion buyer," there is no "average" type, haha. in fact, even though Scion markets as a youth brand, many non-youth (to put it in a nice way) ****** up these cars without a second thought.

i think most would suggest just order a completely new one. it's well worth the wait.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default No more Xb?

Originally Posted by telemike
Grab one now before they are all gone. No 2007 models. 2006 is it. Find a dealer model and buy.
So is the Xb line being dropped? Or replaced?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Non-Youth

Originally Posted by evosky
as telemike says, get them before they're gone !

as for "not the average Scion buyer," there is no "average" type, haha. in fact, even though Scion markets as a youth brand, many non-youth (to put it in a nice way) ****** up these cars without a second thought.

i think most would suggest just order a completely new one. it's well worth the wait.
I like that! Heck, old is old! I can deal with it.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2008 model will most likely be a Corolla platform and larger size.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

order one. Most times dealers charge your more for used ones off the lot.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Order one

Originally Posted by Archngl
order one. Most times dealers charge your more for used ones off the lot.
I did a search of dealers with used Xb's within 100 miles and found that for a 2005 or 2004 with between 16,000 and 30,000 miles on it they still wanted between $13 and $14,000. I guess being popular keeps the resale up.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah get one b4 they're gone! I'm waiting to see if my parents are gonna get mine.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2004-2006 Xb's used are between 15K and 17K in the NC area. High demand I guess.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Older drivers love the xB for its economy, ease of ingress/egress, and upright seating, among other things. If anything, you *are* typical of one of the xB's two major demographics.

xB's don't seem to depreciate much in their first few years, so buying new is the way to go. I expect they will continue to hold their value even better after the current model is retired.

Anything anyone says about the 2008 xB (or xB successor) is pure speculation.

However, the discontinuation of the current xB, with manufacturing to cease in December, has been reported by several dealers. It's not that the car has not been a success; it's that Toyota's marketing strategy has apparently been to limit the lifespan of Scion models right from the start, in order to maintain them as a niche nameplate.

You should be able to order one, and take delivery within a couple of months. This way you'll get your choice of color, and you won't have to buy any of the dealer-installed options (which are mostly cosmetic and style-related, adding little to the utility or performance of the car, in my opinion) likely to be found on one sitting on the lot. Plus it will have 2 miles on it, not 200.

I highly recommend the automatic transmission, which in the Scion yields a quieter car at highway speeds as well as potentially better fuel economy unless you do a lot of city driving. There are no other options that you can't do better buying aftermarket (floor mats, arm rest, etc.).

You will not regret buying an xB.

RichC
Old 07-10-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Scion Xbs are a great car for any age group. While marketed to a youthful consumer it has alot of benefits for all. Im 42 but,still act and feel like a kid though
My decision to buy was that I commute 80 miles a day round trip and I needed something to ease the pain I was suffering at the pump. I drove a 19MPG pickup for the past 6 years and when I started spending 80-90 $$$ per week in fuel, I figure that 350.00 per month would easily make a car payment, I currently spend about 40.00 per week in my box. Plus my son was turning 16 and would need a vehicle so I just gave him my truck (a 2000 dodge dakota extended cab) and he was happy as a pig in doo doo to get my truck since it had a killer stereo, and is still in excellent condition LOL
The next reason I chose a scion is that I think it is ludicris to spend more than 20K on a vehicle. (Though after stereo mods I have made, Im over 20K now, easily, but its my car, designed and equipped the way I want it and enjoy it.
It has tons of room for cargo with the rear seats down, or for 5 adults to sit comfortably

Lastly, reliability, Being made by Toyota you know that car will be good for a quarter million miles if maintained as it should.

As others have said, get out and get one now, I was getting an oil change last week at the dealer and they had about 18 on the lot, but when I bought mine thay had none, they go quick
Just my 2cents
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Xb

At 57 and two more years to work, the Xb would fit the bill nicely. Like I said, I fly RC airplanes, and need at least six foot of cargo room from the back door.
The Toyota name behind it makes it worth the money. When I was at the dealer there was a beautiful Avalon on the floor, and it had a sticker price of well over $36,000. For $16,000 a brand new car, toyota reliability, and a car that will hold up. The wifes car is a 1996 Camry, we bought it new and it has 78,000 on it and the only problem we have had is a new battery, and a door handle cracked off on the inside!
AC standard, and the only option I would want is the automatic, so the wife can drive it too. The only highway driving I do is to the flying field about 60 miles round trip twice a week.
I guess it is time to get serious and start looking.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just go to Scion.com, build your box, find a dealer in the area near you and you will get it from the SE region, they bring em in. It took me 1 week to get my RS 3.0, here in Atl. once I ordered it
My family, Parents, Uncles, Aunts have always been toyo, or Lexus owners
Im the "hier" with the 1st scion, but you definately cannot beat the reliability as you know
Im just waiting for the RS 4.0 to come out so I can give the wife my 3.0 "hand me down" and get the 4.0