Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Stumped. severe electrical issue, cant figure it out...fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stumped. severe electrical issue, cant figure it out...fixed

im stumped. i don't know where i should go from here. okay, for my problem, sometimes when i start out driving, the engine will stumble, almost die and then pick back up. when i turn my turn signals on, the radio head unit shuts off and then turns back on. while idling, there are times when i can turn my headlights or hazards on and it will kill the motor. while sitting in my car without the key in, the oil light can be seen slightly illuminated at times, when i step on the brake pedal without the key in, the battery and oil light will illuminate and flicker. sometimes when i start out driving, going under 20, the radio will constanly turn off and on, like flipping a switch rapidly, the speedo needle will bounce, and an assortment of dash lights will come on. sometimes the car will stall, sometimes it wont. usually after driving it for a couple miles it returns to normal somewhat, the lights stop turning on and off, the only thing that still goes wrong is when i turn on the headlights, turn signals, or sometimes when i step on the brakes, the radio will turn off and then back on. i replaced the battery with a red top, i had the alt tested and it was fine. i replaced the ecu with one out of an echo, i ran it without my piggy back. i am at a loss. also, while sitting in the car, no key in, if i turn the hazards on, i can hear misc relays opening and closing at random times, relays other than the one for the hazards... does anyone have any idea of what i can try next, or where to look. i have ripped out all of my aftermarket wiring except for my stereo, but that has been installed for quite some time now. any ideas would be of great help...
Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you tried pulling obd2 codes if any?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

sounds possessed

did you name it "Sybil"
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Weird, something's prolly fried.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only code i ever threw was for a speed sensor... but that was only when the piggy back was plugged in, so the sensor is fine, i have been driving with that code for a year now... when i drive now, even without the code thrown, it still acts up, it is driving me crazy, it feels like it is going to run really strong with the echo ecu, but i have to get this problem taken care of, i am wondering if it is a bad relay(s)...
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

This happened after you put the Echo ECU in?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have the Alternator/Volt Regulator checked for blown diodes and voltage output.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could check the fusible link. Its the red and black box that is attached to the positive battery cable. It pops open and there are 3 or 4 fuses in there, one of which goes to the alternator.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

fixed it... @#@!$#@%#$^%... i scoured the engine bay, just looking for anything, pushed relays and fuses, just to make sure they were all in, then i figured i would look at the ground wire connection to the body, by the headlight. unbolted the wire and looked at the connection, pathetic, it is still painted. i grabbed a file and stripped away the paint, then i filed away at the ground connection to get away any coating it had, reconnected it... all of a sudden all my problems are solved and my box is running great. what a headache... i am ____ed it was such an obvious thing to check, and it was one of the last things i checked, but am elated the problem is solved. so word of advice, you may want to clean your ground connections up...
Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome stuff. i was going to say a bad alternator diode.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i went through a lot of trouble shooting and work before i discovered the problem, to include removing the sc and pulling the alt so i could take it in to be tested... at least it is running good now, i can't wait to see what the diff is with the echo ecu...
Old 05-21-2008, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i was reading your first post i was about to tell you to check the main ground wire!!!

looks like you already figured out to check that though. nice job getting it fixed yourself too.